Author Topic: Airwarrior.....  (Read 11552 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Airwarrior.....
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 07:31:35 PM »
I need to find my Kesmai DOS manual so I can remember how to get off the ground. I saw it the last time I moved and almost chucked it in the trash but now I see why I saved it!

Can you do multiplayer on that AW DOS? I remember there was some sort of head to head thing.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 08:54:39 PM »
Can you do multiplayer on that AW DOS? I remember there was some sort of head to head thing.

There was.  If memory serves, all it did was blank out everyone in the arena but the two of you.  Seems to me you could still hear the duelists, and vice versa.

- oldman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 09:37:59 PM »

There was.  If memory serves, all it did was blank out everyone in the arena but the two of you.  Seems to me you could still hear the duelists, and vice versa.

- oldman

No, you could set up your own Head to Head server. I use to do it with my Dad years ago on our dial up connections.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 01:24:53 PM »
My biggest phone bill was £350.00...…. that would be 29 months AH  subs now.......and my wife complained about only seeing the back of my head.
Ludere Vincere

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 02:17:16 PM »
I need to find my Kesmai DOS manual so I can remember how to get off the ground. I saw it the last time I moved and almost chucked it in the trash but now I see why I saved it!

.....I used to play H2H WarBirds across the room with one of my sons on a cable connection strung across the ceiling, and H2H with a friend by connecting via  our phone modems.  But I don't know if the War Birds software is still available.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 04:25:54 PM »
My biggest phone bill was £350.00...…. that would be 29 months AH  subs now.......and my wife complained about only seeing the back of my head.

Tilt is still around!  Awesome!  :aok

Tilt, you up for some scenario action this year?

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 05:19:52 AM »
Good thing I didn't join AW until A-O-hell times where it was flat rate, maybe around 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Warrior
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »

- oldman

Oldma

You're thinking of the online RR & FR arena's "Dueling Mode"

Good thing I didn't join AW until A-O-hell times where it was flat rate, maybe around 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Warrior

When it came out of beta on AOL and went prime time, it cost something like $2 an hour (or 2.99) + whatever your phonebill & monthly AOL subscription was..... Then for a little bit, AW went flat rate on AOL, then it went back to the small hourly rate....not sure what happened after that because I was over on Kesmai's new Gamestorm beta testing AW II, which never really went live, that I recall, Gamestorm opened up with free open beta of AW III BigWeek Pacific and I never really returned to AOL...

iirc, Gamestorm cost something like $7 a month or close.... I don't remember, heck at that time, I had 6 free accounts among other things, heh

That Wikipedia Air Warrior page could use some editing and correcting
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 01:43:08 PM »

All would have been forgiven, had you shown her the top of your head more often.   :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 05:52:32 AM »
I started Air Warrior when it was on Gamestorm, after watching my husband (Zeb/Zebedee) playing on and off for a few years before.  In the early days I was more concerned about the phone bills but by then getting my own account was more manageable.  At first I only ever used GVs or went as a gunner in a bomber, but I was soon persuaded to give actual flying a go.  I was never very successful at flying fighters, more often than not getting into a spin and crashing - but eventually tried bombers and loved flying B17s, and never looked back (apart from to check my 6!  LOL)

A lot has happened since then, but I'll never forget how it all started in AW.  :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 09:22:13 PM »
Flossy I recall briefly gunning for your B-17 in AW Big Week.  Was under a different handle at the time, and don't recall which one, maybe yormt or da....which is just as well as I was not a good gunner, and didn't keep you from getting shot down......   :o

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 05:27:37 AM »
Flossy I recall briefly gunning for your B-17 in AW Big Week.  Was under a different handle at the time, and don't recall which one, maybe yormt or da....which is just as well as I was not a good gunner, and didn't keep you from getting shot down......   :o
I think Big Week was slightly before my time so possibly wasn't me or a different scenario?  Anyway, I'm sure you did fine, even the best gunners can't always prevent the bomber being shot down.  :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2019, 07:39:30 AM »
It was probably Bossy.... my ex-wife.  :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 08:25:41 AM »
I think Big Week was slightly before my time so possibly wasn't me or a different scenario?......,
.......or at this stage of life my memories of Air Warrior and early Aces High experience are sort of blending together, and not as clear as I'd like to think they are......    :old:

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »
.....I used to play H2H WarBirds across the room with one of my sons on a cable connection strung across the ceiling, and H2H with a friend by connecting via  our phone modems.  But I don't know if the War Birds software is still available.

I did that a couple of times with my brother at my house.  Now days you can do the same thing using a custom arena.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com