Author Topic: what is the best way to get someone off your tail?  (Read 310 times)

Offline guitargod9989

• Zinc Member
what is the best way to get someone off your tail?
« on: September 16, 2002, 07:01:51 PM »
what is the best way to get someone off your tail if you are iin a fighter of attacker?

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002, 07:26:39 PM »
The BEST way is to not let them get there in the first place.  Once someone is on your six, even if you fly perfectly you may still die.  Though, If you have a significant turn performance advantage, simple hard turns will often be enough to avoid them.  

Basic guns defense involves staying out of plane with the person trying to shoot you.  Avoid simple flat turns, go slightly up, or slightly down, dont stay in the same turning plane.

As for getting people off your six, It mostly comes down to making them screw up, or having a wingman ready to clear your six.

If they're going fast, you can make small side-to-side turns, and try and force either an overshoot or a scissors.  A short blacked out turn followed by a barrel roll can work on occasion.  If you're flying an F4U of any kind, throwing down the landing gear will give you an added speed brake.  If you have altitude, a defensive spiral can sometimes work.  (It's basicly a rolling scissors going straight down)

All of these though, come down to forcing them to overshoot.  You need to be slower than your pursuer, or able to slow down much faster.  If you're not, you'll just make yourself a very easy target.

The only reliable way to clear your six is to have a friend nearby who will do it for you.  (Don't expect help from people who havn't commited to flying with you)  To do this, you need to drag your pursuer.  Avoid high-G turns, or any rapid direction change.  Stay out-of-phase with your pursuer(That is to say try and keep your wings perpindicular to his)  Small random direction changes will make you a hard target, and hopefully keep you alive long enough for your friend to clear your six.

The worst thing you can do with someone chasing your pursuer is to make hard turns.  It allows your pursuer to close the distance, and get a gunshot, while making it as hard as possible for your friend to kill him.

Disclaimer: this may be entirely incoherent or flat out wrong, I take no responsibility for any k/d ratios ruined by following this advice.

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2002, 09:39:48 PM »
Originally posted by Innominate
Disclaimer: this may be entirely incoherent or flat out wrong, I take no responsibility for any k/d ratios ruined by following this advice.

I was robbed, I want my money back!!!

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2002, 01:17:06 AM »
Hmm Guitargod, try pointing your amp backwards at the attacker and turn it up to 11, use maximun feedback and see if you can sonicly shake your opponent apart. Otherwise do what the above guys have posted, that would probably work better.

fuzeman
[being a wisearse as usual]
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2002, 01:33:04 AM »
fart
Freeze

Offline Mino

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2002, 02:26:42 AM »
Seems I read some one once that kind of goes like this:

"A MIG on your six is way better than no MIG at all"

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2002, 05:00:55 PM »
Originally posted by Fancy

I was robbed, I want my money back!!!

You can't get your money back....  You paid with slugs...  :o)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2002, 02:04:45 PM »
How to get them off your 6 largely depends on the kind of plane you are flying. In the Hurri for instance, with almost any other plane (other thant the Zero) a hard nose down turn for all you're worth will almost always clear your 6. In the good rollers a snap roll followed by a reversal will often do it. If you have enough E and are in a BnZ plane a high-lo yo-yo will sometime clear you. Problem is, unless you are a better pilot or there are lots of friendlies about he'll be back there soon enough.

Please note, that while the above is probably good advice, my instinctive reaction is always a slow left hand horizontal turn. This makes the plane behind me use up all his ammo by filling my fuselage with it, divests me of those wings that were just slowing me down, and gives me an added power boost by igniting my fuel tank.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams