Author Topic: re-thinking La7 use.  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2002, 11:50:51 AM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe
Turbot- more newbies and otherwise less abled people use the La7 as opposed to some of the more difficult planes to fly...-SW

I threw in some niki stats too, it does OK.  However another famous newbie plane, the Spit9, did'nt make the cut at all -

The Spitfire Mk IX has 1517 kills and has been killed 1587 times against the La-7.  K/D 0.95 vs. La7 (1.09 overall)

P-51 is getting raped:

The P-51D has 1763 kills and has been killed 2243 times against the La-7.  0.79 KD vs La7  (1.00 overall)

So, with a negative KD's it didn't make the list of successful planes against La7.   I didn't really know how numbers would turn out - but it would seem, on average, the La7 isn't as uber as one would think on first impression.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2002, 12:01:41 PM by Turbot »

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2002, 11:55:28 AM »
Well, I'm not surprised by that... most La7s I engage will run at the drop of the hat. Not even a La5FN can keep pace.

Then there's also a good amount of newbies who use Spitfires.
-SW

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2002, 11:59:46 AM »
I don't think it is newbies that fly the La7.  Newbies tend to fly planes that are relatively well known.  The numbers of Spits and P-51s are a good indication that 'newbies' fly them.  

A lot of mediocre and crappy 'pilots' fly the la7.  They fly it because it can A. run away from any plane in the game, and B. run down any plane other than another La7.  This comes in handy because you can wait for someone to run from 2 or 3 slower planes (like Spits or Nikis) then swoop in and run them down.  They have a choice between giving the la7 an easy kill, or being gangbanged.  Either way the La7 'pilot' gets a relatively easy kill, or at the very least has to fight with 2 or 3 friendlies to kill 1 enemy plane.

However, I think the La7 is a necesary plane to have in the game.  You have to have units that are extraordinarily easy to be successful in, because people don't like to have to work to hard.  Without things such as the La7 and the Flakpansie, there wouldn't be as many people playing Aces High.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2002, 12:07:33 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
I don't think it is newbies that fly the La7.  Newbies tend to fly planes that are relatively well known.  The numbers of Spits and P-51s are a good indication that 'newbies' fly them

I see newbies in em, but most always I seem to recognize the name of the pilot in the La7.   Which makes the low performance numbers even more surprising to me.  I still in shock over the Ta152's numbers - sure didn't expect that.

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2002, 12:30:09 PM »
I fly the La-7 occasionaly...I tend to kill more buffs with it for some reason :p

Originally posted by lazs2
The More "timid" of the horde allow the suicide (is suicide typhie a bish initiation rite?)  flyers to kill themselves first so that their vultching is risk free...  boring, and flavored with very few kills but... risk free.

Originally posted by Ghosth

He is right about the bish tiffy hordes & gangbanging. It used to be that 3 or 4 good pilots could "finesse" a field. That got a LOT harder to do for several reasons.

I'm swaying to the dark side...I'm agreeing with Lasz ;)

I used to enjoy missions...used to be a few pilots (no more than 5) would up and "finesse" (as Ghosth said) a base and we considered it a job well done.

Now you get 20+ people in on missions who re-upp and hit it again with the same numbers.  And if it's bish hitting the base it seem to be the suicide tiffies...the base is usually porked after the first wave :(

Anyway, the La-7 is a fun plane to fly at times and it certainly is a exceptional aircraft but I certainly wouldn't fly it exclusively.  

While we can all agree (i think we can :p ) that the La-7 could be considered uber...not every pilot who flies one is uber too:p

Regards,
Drunky
« Last Edit: October 02, 2002, 12:32:33 PM by Drunky »
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2002, 01:29:43 PM »
The La-7 is an excellent plane, for base defense and goon hunting ... thats about it.

Nothing more pleasing than seeing one of those tiffie raids coming in, upping an La-7 and flying 50ft off the deck and picking off multiple goons, and there ain't a damn thing they can do about. How deflating it is when all goons in a mission have been killed.

You know, these threads usually/always bring up the numbers of Spits and La-7s seen in the MA. I don't know about you people, but it appears to me that the numbers of 190s and 109s has far exceeded the number of Spits and La-7s that I have seen as of late.

These planes are like gnats ... simple pests. They cant kill for toejam unless they catch someone not looking. At least when you see a Spit or an La-7, you will most likely get into a good fight, but these run-90s and run-O-9s, for the most part are the biggest rutabagas in the whole MA. If you do mange to get on their 6, they stick-stir and run away as fast as any La-7 that I have seen.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2002, 01:34:15 PM »
The La-7 is an excellent plane, for base defense and goon hunting ... thats about it.

That's not about it... it's... well... a great fighter.

If you think otherwise, well, I can't help you there... but if I were so inclined, I could take the La7 into a furball and get ~6 or 7 kills then run right on out there.
-SW

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2002, 01:41:38 PM »

That's not about it... it's... well... a great fighter.

If you think otherwise, well, I can't help you there... but if I were so inclined, I could take the La7 into a furball and get ~6 or 7 kills then run right on out there.
-SW

No, it's not a great fighter. It's a great cherry picker and nothing more.

Ever fight one 1v1? There are very few people here that can and will engage 1v1 in the La7. The ones that do < S > to you, but you are a minority I'm afraid.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2002, 01:44:39 PM »
I fly the La5FN, it's a great fighter.

The La7 is better than the La5FN. Hence it's an even greater fighter.

The plane is great, the pilots, OTOH, probably aren't... which would explain why you would believe it's a great cherry picker and nothing more.
-SW

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2002, 01:56:01 PM »

The plane is great, the pilots, OTOH, probably aren't... which would explain why you would believe it's a great cherry picker and nothing more.
-SW

What's all this hub-bub about the La-7?

The single greatest dweeb machine in this game is the SBD-5 Dauntless! Flown correctly, it's the king of the cherry picking, stallfighting, bomber bashing uber machines!

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2002, 02:06:29 PM »

-SW

Yep, in the hands of a good pilot is a great fighter...but the two don't seem to converge much in the MA ;)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2002, 02:09:27 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
The single greatest dweeb machine in this game is the SBD-5 Dauntless! Flown correctly, it's the king of the cherry picking, stallfighting, bomber bashing uber machines!
My regards,
Widewing

by "correctly" i take it to mean hanging around in CV acks near an enema base, trying to get the odd ping in on the inevitable lemming runs to help earn perkies to go along with all the prox kills due to the aforementioned acks?

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2002, 02:12:08 PM »
Originally posted by MrLars
Yep, in the hands of a good pilot is a great fighter...but the two don't seem to converge much in the MA ;)

that can be said of just about *any* plane/pilot combo in the MA.

long live the Borg! there's nothing more exciting than trying to steal the kill from elebenty bajillion friendlies.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2002, 02:12:09 PM »
"The La-7 is an excellent plane, for base defense and goon hunting ... thats about it."

Base defense, to me, would imply that the La-7 is a good fighter, and it surely is. Guns are powerfull, but on the other hand suck for some reason (round drop off ?) and it handles and turns very well.

I probably should have said .. "Its best uses are" ... IMHO

AKSWulfe - I agree ... as long as the furball is not to far away from base.

I just don't see it as a plane that I would take on a mission due to the low amount of ammo (450 rounds) that would be needed for fighting at the enemy base, and then possibly trying to return with some ammo for defensive purposes.

Edit:

Now that Shane is involved in this thread ... I have flown the La-7 alot in the past and would consider myself a good La-7 pilot, but Shane has some excellent films showing how deadly a fighter the La-7 can be in the right hands ... still, to me, not my preferred fighter for all-around killing at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2002, 02:17:21 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
re-thinking La7 use.
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2002, 02:16:20 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot

Nothing more pleasing than seeing one of those tiffie raids coming in, upping an La-7 and flying 50ft off the deck and picking off multiple goons, and there ain't a damn thing they can do about. How deflating it is when all goons in a mission have been killed.

You know, these threads usually/always bring up the numbers of Spits and La-7s seen in the MA. I don't know about you people, but it appears to me that the numbers of 190s and 109s has far exceeded the number of Spits and La-7s that I have seen as of late.

These planes are like gnats ... simple pests. They cant kill for toejam unless they catch someone not looking. At least when you see a

Spit or an La-7, you will most likely get into a good fight, but these run-90s and run-O-9s, for the most part are the biggest rutabagas in the whole MA. If you do mange to get on their 6, they stick-stir and run away as fast as any La-7 that I have seen.

DOn't be lazy post the numbers ;)

You didn't mention what you like to fly mostly,  I just on a whim pulled up your La7 stats since it is topic of this thread.  

slapshot has 73 kills and has been killed 45 times in the La-7

The La7 seems to be treating you well - you are doing better than average.  What is it that is running away from you then? :)

--Digged a little deeper : slapshot has 247 kills and has been killed 139 times in the FM2.  

Oh gezzz you are one of THOSE   :D