Author Topic: Please, perk the Dora  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2002, 03:42:55 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
One more time...

Plane types do not cause unbalanced gameplay.

The Me262 can.  Imagine what would happen if the numbers that fly the La7 decided to fly the Me262 if it was unperked, that would cause the game play to be unbalanced.  The Me262 is the only current plane in the plane set that is capable of doing it, that's why it's perked and IMO, the only one that should be perked.

At least you seem to finally start to get it.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2002, 03:49:51 PM »
Everything is good....your heart beats, you're walkin around and you're free to whine about things that don't matter in the least.

In additiion, perking planes only causes the perkee to fly like an uptight yuppie in his first luxury sedan.

As to player balance in the MA.....give it up.

It will always be in flux and it will always be what it is....the last thing we need, is for Dale to begin some social experiment in a video game. Just get over it or if you cannot, change countries or solicit change amoungst your buds in other countries or call mom....just stop whinin about it. It makes ya look kinda silly after the first time you mention it.

Now, doesn't everyone feel better?

Logon and find a purpose...this little virtual world is all yours to do with as you please...now how cool is that?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2002, 03:54:25 PM »
Unbalanced how?

Maybe your command of the english language isn't up to it.

Assuming that all sides are equal, if everyone is capable of flying the same aircraft, how is this unbalanced if the Me262 (or any other aircraft) are one of the choices of aircraft?

You keep saying the same thing... certain aircraft types cause unbalanced gameplay.

What does that mean?
sand

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2002, 02:03:08 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
Unbalanced how?

Assuming that all sides are equal, if everyone is capable of flying the same aircraft, how is this unbalanced if the Me262 (or any other aircraft) are one of the choices of aircraft?

If the Me262 was free, then the majority would fly it, causing the rest to fly it to have any chance of success.  The same is not true with the La7 or any of the other so-called 'uber' planes.  As you pointed out, a great deal of the players fly the La7 and N1K2 but yet those that don't fly these planes still remain competitive in the MA.

You keep saying the same thing... certain aircraft types cause unbalanced gameplay.

What does that mean?

Certain planes, like the Me262 can.  That's why it's perked.  Planes in AH aren't perked because of their availability during the war or how many were in the war but rather the planes effect on the game balance.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2002, 02:59:23 AM »
Depends on where you draw the line at I suppose Ack-Ack.  

Spitfire IX and N1K2 make quite a few planes worthless.  109G2,G6,F4,E4,c202 & 205,P40E and B,190A5 and A8,F4F & FM2,Spitfire I, Hurricane I, A6M2 & a6m5 (imo), 110C4 (and 110G2 imo), all the P-47s, arguably the P-38.

Do some of them see use?  Of course they do.  Will they ever be popular?  Of course not.  Why?  Because the performance of the planes offer no advantage over the Spit IX and N1K2, which is the 'baseline' performance for our MA.  The Spit IX and N1K2 dominate all of the planes in the list above, so for your average Ma 'pilot' there is no point in picking those planes when if you want good turning you can fly the Spit and N1K, which offer other important advantages also.

For example, lets compare the 190A5 to the N1K2.  

Speed:  From 0-10k, the 190A5 has a *very* slight edge in level speed.

Acceleration:  N1K2, hands down.

Turning:  N1K2, hands down.

Climbrate:  N1K2, hands down.

Firepower:  N1K2, hands down.

Roll Rate:  190A5.

So... what reason would anyone have for flying the 190A5?  The only reason is because they like the plane for some reason that has nothing to do with performance.  Well, and they are willing to accept the fact that the Top 5 planes will be able to dominate them in a 1v1 fight.

We could also compare say the Spit IX to the 109F.  Spit V is actually a 'historical' matchup", but our MA is just that, an MA.

So-

Top speed:  0-10k, similar, with the Spitfire gaining an edge the higher you go.  Above 10k, the Spit IX hands down.

Climb rate:  Spit IX, hands down.

Acceleration:  Spit IX, hands down.

Turning:  Spit IX, hands down.

Roll rate:  Spit IX.

Firepower:  Spit IX, hands down.

Its quite clear, to me anyway, why the popular planes are popular.  The Spit and N1K because they can turn and have heavy firepower, and the P-51D and La7 because you can run away from and or BnZzzzz Spits and N1Ks (plus any of the above planes in the first paragraph).  The Spits and the N1K2 are popular because they ARE the best 'fighting' planes available in the MA.  The P-51D and the La7 are popular because they are the best runners in the MA.

So, in essense, a Spit IX may as well be a 262 to a 109E4 or F4.  The only difference is it dominates the 109 totally, instead of just being much faster.

I think the Me262 would undoubtedly be the most popular plane in the arena if it were unperked.  It would make the game not very fun at all for the majority of players.  The only difference between the situation we have now is that a minority are unhappy with our 'baseline' instead of a majority.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2002, 11:07:31 AM »
Okay... Certain aircraft can affect the baseline capability required to survive in the MA.

I think that's what akak is trying to say.

Thanks Urchin.

Now... would the Me262 be the most popular? Hmmm... hard to gauge. I'm sure the use would spike massively if it were not perked, but after the initial scramble to fight with it, I think many would realize it's limitations and go back to flying whatever it is they enjoy.

IIRC in WarBirds, towards the end of the RPS cycle when jets became available, there were a lot around, but they weren't the most popular.
sand

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2002, 11:38:50 AM »
As to player balance in the MA.....give it up.

It will always be in flux and it will always be what it is....the last thing we need, is for Dale to begin some social experiment in a video game. Just get over it or if you cannot, change countries or solicit change amoungst your buds in other countries or call mom....just stop whinin about it. It makes ya look kinda silly after the first time you mention it.

It is not on the flux for a year. This November the Rooks meet their first anniversary as a local drum getting banged on by everyone else.

How long do we wait?  A year more?

Maybe it's time to reconsider that the people in trouble should just go help themselves instead of whine. Ever consider actually listening to the whines, admitting there's a problem and taking steps to make it a more fun game for everybody actually can be an alternative?

Change countries? We're not the ones who break the balance. Why should it be us who change countries? I thought the "stop being an arse and try to make things better" concept was supposed to be applied to people who make things worse, not the ones who suffer from it.

But then again, when you get to rape every cool looking girl in town you aren't exactly to keen on morality or righteousness. That's why there are police.

Hey, if the community proves that they are incapable of keeping things in order nicely and voluntarily, the "social experiment" moves from the bottom of the list to the top. Because there are people who suffer, just the tards causing the suffering not realizing it.

Offline Kevin14

• Silver Member
Please, perk the Dora
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2002, 01:56:17 PM »
Originally posted by stegor
Agree: whiners.

Agreed, Dora is not really that hard to shoot down, just learn some tactics