Author Topic: This note will proberly piss alot of you off  (Read 783 times)

Offline Sox

• Zinc Member
This note will proberly piss alot of you off
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2000, 02:54:00 PM »
Obear it takes time..Shoot i came over to AH from AW3 easymode. Good god had to realy learn how to fly a plane this time. I wish you good luck and hope you stick with it.  

------------------
VMF-212  Lancers

Offline Kutt

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.cfl.rr.com/kutt
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2000, 02:55:00 PM »
Hey AKSeaWulf, could I take you up on the offer for counter manuevers? My patented Run Away Really, Really Fast technique leaves a bit to be desired. I'm at the 4 tour mark and completely lame in counter manuevers.

Kutt

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2000, 02:59:00 PM »
Ok..

After 10 years of online flying, AW-DOS,WB and AH. AH by far has the more realistic FM, Damage modeling ive had the pleasure of flying. Right from the start, everyone knew it would be a steep learnig curve.To my surprise, it wasnt that hard to pickup on. Very close to the FM in WB..

Ive flown WB for 5 years,so i may have had a start on AH that others didnt.

It just takes time. Thats all.Allthough i do have 1 question for you. Did you fly WB in RR Mode? As i found out may have been. So this will make AH a steep learning curve for you.

Dog out.......

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2000, 03:02:00 PM »

Originally posted by Obear:
the ones who prefer to take off, check there air speed, flaps, rate of climb, etc., gain there alt, pick out there targets and then enter a quick thinking game of mid air chess. (No insult here btw)

Insult?? no way! it is one of the most wonderful definitions of air combat I've ever heard...mid air chess...each plane has its own moves, and qualities... Strategic and tactic mind together, but not too close linked... Only teamwork doesnt fit that definition, but I think it is a very good one.  

Remember, if you want help and see me online, gimme a yell and I'll play the drone on the Training Arena (BTW AKSWulfe...thanks but in no way I'm better stick than you!! <S!>  )

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 07-21-2000).]

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2000, 03:16:00 PM »
I also appreciate the maturity of your post Obear... thanks.  I am a flight sim newbie, having only flown the original Red Baron prior to AH.  I still remember the first time I tried to take off and almost got queazy because my plane ended up spinning around uncontrollably on the runway.  Though I crashed spectacularly, that event was what hooked me.  For me, it is the steep learning curve due to the realism that is the addictive element.  You must truly learn to master each plane and its idiosyncracies  to fly it well.  It takes a bit of thinking, maybe some tips from others, and just plain old practice. Easy mode of any type, in my opinion, would degrade the game, as would relaxing the flight model.  There are plenty of other games to play that do not use realism enough.  The challenge of learning and mastering your chosen ride is the "hook" that I can't, and don't want to, get free from.  Besides, if ya want easy mode, fly a Spitfire!  )

------------------
Skorpyon
~900th Bloody Jaguars~
"Feel the Sting......"

Offline Razor

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.skidog.homepage.com
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2000, 04:43:00 PM »
This post is so good I just finished saving it to share with others. As for the game being compared with 'chess', well you hit the nail on the head. I started playing flight sims this time last year. I tried AW3 and was there nearly 10 months. I played on a 200mhz system with a 33.6k connection and in 2d mode. I heard about AH from a friend and tried it out while visiting the same. (Lizard3) I quit flying AW3 and am now saving my pennies for a killer system with which to learn this real flight sim. Sure, its fun to up and start shooting bad guys 3-5 mins later but that was not the way they did it back in WW2. I guess I'm over playing the 'stick in a quarter and go' games/sims. I want a challenge. I want it as real as it can be. I want to have to watch out for bad guys while checking my instruments every second I'm airborne. I don't want a 'forgiving' aircraft. Why? Because the rewards at the end my friend. The first time I make all the right moves and score a kill it will make it all worth it.   ESPECIALLY if that person is ol' Lizard-breath himself, my mentor.     The other thing about this sim I like is the community of players. I've been reading this board for some time now but only recently started posting. These folks are serious about their sim and do not hesitate to lend a hand when asked. The HTC folks also maintain a GREAT line of communication with everyone. Ok ok, I'm rambling...sorry, I guess what I'm saying is this; it is my firm belief that you will not find the elements I have mentioned here combined in a better way anywhere else. I have looked around enough to know. I only hope I can find enough time in the day to play this AND another sim which is soon to be in open beta.   I hope I will see you in the air in the very near future.

------------------
Razor
Doverdawgs

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2000, 05:03:00 PM »

Originally posted by Yeager:
I have figured this much out:

AcesHigh plays you, not the other way around.
You have to let yourself go, become one with the force.

Yeager

Thats what I have told some of our memebers , plus myself too . Let it flow over you  

It's a damn hard game to be sure , but the rewards are there if you stick with it IMO

cheers spro

PS: Who came from CFS and FA , and know what u mean about the loving Lanks dogfighting and running u down  

------------------
air_rules = Play fair ....Don't worry about points......Keep a sense of humor......Drink Jim Beam......and don't let the fediddlein cat walk on the keyboard.......!!!http://www.airsquadron.com" TARGET=_blank>

[This message has been edited by airspro (edited 07-21-2000).]
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2000, 05:39:00 PM »
 Obear,
 early-war planeset would solve all problems. Hurricanes, Zeroes and early spits, I16 and few others.
 Let's hope they get to it.
miko--

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2000, 05:48:00 PM »
FA is a friggin GAME!!!! AH is a friggin Sim!!!!!!

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2000, 06:14:00 PM »
Obear, A couple of things, First the learning curve takes more than a few weeks ( i can atest to this personally). You have one up on me  ( you fly for real) BUT i bet the planes you have flown are NOWHERE near the torque and shear power of these WW2 planes. I drive a 92 GMC van and also a 1965 GTO, let me tell you there is quite a bit of difference in performance and handling. I punch the pedal in the goat my whole frame bends with the power and torque and thats only 400 horses, i bet the horse power difference between ww2 fighter planes and the ones you fly are thousands of horses apart. Also you are flying against people who have over a year in this sym, and even after my first year in AH i get my bellybutton handed to me on a daily basis. The learning curve is steep and long ,BUT the joy  and pleasure of winning a fight are much more satisfying. I'm sure many don't like this realism ( too hard), but many do like it. I'm sure in real life it took more than a few weeks to learn to fly a ww2 fighter , let alone be any good in ACM with it. After all the f4 was called " the ensign killer" .

Try the sym for a month or two, if you still have a problem, toss it up as a learning experience.

And thanx for the mature post about your dissadifaction.

NUTTZ

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2000, 06:33:00 PM »
Read most of this thread, good stuff!

1 more thing, the fuggin community here is awsome, this thread proves it!  

Salute Obear, your classy post shows you would fit in very nicely around here!

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2000, 10:30:00 PM »
Ya just have to grit your teeth for at least 2 months til ya learn the simm.

I started the first night of open beta back last september-october. It took me til this spring to feel comfortable in this simm. I could do fairly well 1 on 1 with cons but was losing my E fast in a furball.

I finally got to the point where I had to hang up warbirds to become worth a flip with this simm. It was too much of a challenge to be good at both. I'm happy with my decision and I'm learning more every day.

The one main thing to remember here is to come into the fight with gobs of E and don't flat turn while engaged with more than 1 bandit. Turn vertically. I know this sounds very simple and obvious, but actually doing this is not easy for most fellas used to WB's.

------------------

<===<The ASSASSINS>===>
        assassins@aceshighcs.com        

[This message has been edited by hblair (edited 07-21-2000).]

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2000, 07:26:00 AM »
Obear, I am with this game for many months I like it very much but can tell you that every update makes me crazy for at least few days! Even deferences between 2 versions sometime ask for a long learning, I can imagine how difficult it is for new guys... But I like the game and consider it the best game I ever played in my life up to date, and I played LOT of games. Just do not haste with your final decision, may be after some more sorties you will find AH much more enjoyable than you do now. Good luck and <S>

Fariz

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2000, 09:05:00 AM »
Maybe it was because I've flown the P-47 for 3 odd years in WB that I didnt have problems with the E-bleed in AH  , but I find both sims remarkebly similar.
 I wouldnt even be able to call either of them "more realistic" as they both have some gaping holes in their flight modelling.
 It's all up to whether you like it or not.
Yes, the transition can be tricky and you have to be up for the challenge of changing from one to the other.
But..what really seperates the two (For me at least), is that WB now got it's WW2 arena, with an axis vs allied planeset.
I havent even started up AH since that arena started up and even if there was a huge gap between the flight modelling, I'd probably still be flying in the sim with the WW2 arena.

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
"This is Yardstick. Follow me"

Renfield

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2000, 09:59:00 AM »
Obear - always keep in mind that you can saddle up with an experienced pilot (.join XXX) and see how they fly. Obviously you won't see the stick moves, but you will get an idea for the setup and the kill. You would be amazed at what you can pick up by doing this.