Author Topic: The Ultimate Sound Pack released  (Read 944 times)

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
The Ultimate Sound Pack released
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2001, 12:31:00 AM »
Thank you gentlemen. I know the 20mm guns sound a tad weak, but I couldn't think of a better way to do them. I just added a little more bass to give the impression of a vibrating floorboard inside a fighter.

The default extract location I set just as a placeholder. You can click the button next to it (labeled "...") and find the directory you want to install them to. This info is on the readme as of yesterday, just so you know.

My 5" and 8" gun sounds still come up fine. It could be a one-shot bug, or something that needs attention. If I find the cause I'll do some digging and post a fix here.

Glad you've been enjoying these guys. Here's the total list of contributors:

Flakbait
Fscott
AKWabbit
Mitsu
Fishu
Whels1
Staga
Funked (blame him for the P-47 eng sounds)

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"During the Battle of Britain the question 'fighter or fighter-bomber?'
had been decided once and for all: The fighter can only be used as a bomb carrier
with lasting effect when sufficient air superiority has been won." Adolph Galland

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2001, 01:14:00 AM »
Love it guys. Thanks for all your work. The Ta has a real roar now! Maybe Ill fly it.
I get a sound like ack hitting when I drop a fuel tank. Is that intended?
Very nice installer by the way. Well done

RoadfRash

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2001, 01:25:00 AM »
Flakbait and the boys have done an Outstanding Job gives the game a whole new perspective, well done very damn well done guys, <S> to your hardwork for the good for the game!

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2001, 02:12:00 AM »
If you drop your tank you should get a bomb drop whistle. Apparently there's a problem with the installer and read only sounds. It won't over-write them (thanks for the note Saw). If you've got a different bomb drop sound (bomb.wav) assigned to this you'll hear strange things! Then again it could be AH having seizures due to the 311 sound files, but nothing weird has cropped up on my end. And I've got the slowest computer here!  

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
had been decided once and for all: The fighter can only be used as a bomb carrier
with lasting effect when sufficient air superiority has been won." Adolph Galland

stefano

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2001, 07:48:00 AM »
Fantastico!
Thanks a lot for this great work Flak!!!
AH is really better now  

LUPO
1 Gruppo Caccia
"Asso di Bastoni"

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2001, 02:38:00 PM »
flakbait!  well done, adds greatly to the environment!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Regurge

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2001, 08:26:00 AM »
Absolutely top notch, very proffesional.

A major factor in my plane choice is which one sounds the coolest! And its not an easy choice.

That d9/152 has an awesome evil roar  

And great work getting the ROF to match. I heard exactly 32 rounds emptying the clip on a 9t.

There really should be a link to this on the HTC downloads page.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2001, 09:25:00 AM »
Believe it or not the Yak-9T uses the stock 37mm sound. I just ran it through a loudness filter to get a better effect. This does however create a small problem; the PT-Boat uses the same sound. No problem you say? What if I told you the PT-Boat's 37mm cannon fired at half the rate? Problem! I didn't fix this since I couldn't figure out a way of doing it. So as it stands there's only ONE bug in 311 sounds; and I can't fix it.

As for my sounds being on the HTC site; Ronni will have to answer that. I sent her an e-mail requesting the link be done a certain way and never heard back. Probably an error on both ends, but I'll give her a holler and find out.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2001, 09:54:00 AM »
Downloaded and love em.

Few that I think could use tweaking...because on my big speaker set, they just sound odd.  Not complaints, just suggestions.  The F4 engine sounds like the sound was sampled too loud (or something).  Also, whats with the gun sounds?  Can't hear them over the engine anymore.

However, you scared the begeezus out of me when I was in the F4 and dropped bombs on some tanks.  That whistle effect or whatever it is had me hunched over the keyboard, looking for where that sound came from.  

I fly the Arado a lot, those improvements sound really nice too.  Rockets are much better.

That's it...lotsa compliments on your hard work!

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2001, 10:20:00 AM »
*note to self: put more info in readme file next time*

Check your AH volume mixer settings. Odds are that's the culprit since I can hear all the sounds over the engine. The 50 cals in any plane vibrate my floor; all I've got is a little 40 watt sub. Leave all the mixer sliders at 80% and you'll be much better off. I purposely did the F4U sounds that way; sounds great to me. I modified all the sounds there for personal preference. In short: they kick bellybutton on an old speaker system like mine.

I posted a patch that will fix a volume goof on the F4U-1C, Tempest and Typhoon. If you are talking about the C-hog's guns being quiet then you're right. They were, but the patch will fix it.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2001, 08:10:00 PM »
Flakbait, nice job putting the different sounds into a nice installer.

The only thing I was looking forward to, and somewhat dissapointed by is that you only have one representation for each type of engine.  I was under the impression, for example, that you would put say 3 or 4 different 190a5/a8 engine sounds under the 190 directory, and so forth for each plane type. Then the user could select which version of the engine he liked best.  I think there are many author's engines that aren't represented here, although it is still a good effort.

Perhaps since you have access to all the wavs from the many different authors, you could do as stated above? I was looking forward to hearing people's versions of the 190, P51,..etc..

fscott

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2001, 08:39:00 PM »
I'm having a bit of a problem here Flakbait.. when I run the .exe the only planes that have directories created (and that are listed as being included in the .exe) are as follows:
all 109s
all 190s
A6M5b
Ar234
F4U-1C
La5
La7
Lanc
M16
M3
N1K2
ostwind
P38L
P47D-25
P47D-30
Temp
Typh

That's all that I get.
.30 caliber MG
.50 caliber MG
30mm cannon
37mm cannon
Explosion 1 through 5
Stress & Stall were given a volume boost
Are not included in either of the .exes I have. When I run ultimate1.exe and ultimate2.exe I get the following error message: Cannot create the selected items.

BUT, all of the planes I listed have sound files inside of their directories. When I run the patch, I don't get an error. The only thing I did was download in WinME at work (T1 line, can't beat that), put them on a 250zip drive(using a 100MB Zip disk) and pulled them onto my system using a USB 100MB Zip Drive. I noticed that when I try to transfer the file by copying/moving it, my system will lock up. If I unpackage it, it works fine. The ultimate1.exe I could not transfer without system locking up. ultimate2.exe transfered fine. The patch came over fine.

Any ideas?
-SW

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2001, 03:47:00 AM »
Not really SW. It could be that these exe's don't like WinME, or that there was an error in the download. Not liking WinME seems a bit far fetched since two of them worked fine. Try downloading them on the computer AH is installed on to see if it was maybe a download error. If that's not it, then something got corrupted somewhere. You've got me curious, so here's a short list of what I can think of:

1) Something went goofy with the Zip drive
2) Download error (use a download manager and not a browser)

Did you mess with the file list window? It's in the middle of the installer and shows a full list of everything in the exe. If you accidently clicked on something it would only install the files you highlighted. I'm going to grab the latest version of Zip Central and re-create these files. Once I do that I'll check them on my end to see if there was a problem. In the mean time try what I suggested above and see if it works.

Fscott, as I said above this pack alone drained most of my sound resources. This isn't a sound pack by everyone that includes four of everything. It's a collection of soundst I thought sounded the best overall. I don't have a T1 line, just a little 56k modem. I don't have 5 hours to upload 40 megs worth of files, nor do I have the space or bandwidth.

The Ultimate Sound Pack is now being hosted by HTC. You can find the readme and all files on the download page. Updated copies using the latest version of ZipCentral will be on my site around 9am (PST) today.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

[This message has been edited by flakbait (edited 03-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by flakbait (edited 03-24-2001).]

BigJoe

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2001, 10:31:00 AM »
Download went smooth as could be awesome sounds thanks to everyone who made these, Ta152 and D9 sounds like a race boat I used to pit for  

------------------
BigJoe
3./JG2

[This message has been edited by BigJoe (edited 03-24-2001).]

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2001, 12:14:00 PM »
Flak, is it possible you could release just an engine soundpack?  So you would have like 3 to 5 engine sounds from different author's for each plane type, if applicable.  You have 7 to 8 wavs installed for each plane type in your current sound pack, so the engine pack would be smaller.

If not, that's ok.  Just thought it would be kinda cool for the user to pick which engine he liked best. You could set it up like: Fw190a8/a5: eng, eng1, eng2, eng3 files in that directory and so forth.

fscott

[This message has been edited by fscott (edited 03-24-2001).]