Author Topic: To the guys that have been here awhile  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
To the guys that have been here awhile
« on: December 10, 2002, 05:02:15 AM »
Did you prefer ah prior to the 300 + main?

I originally loved a main with huge numbers as I had thought that it meant more fights, not just more killing. Well the main has lotsa killing and very few fights.

I think I would prefer if the main split and there were 2 arenas of 250 max.

I was hugely supportive of the idea of bigger maps being the solution. With expanded fronts and more breathing room I had naively thought that we would get away from the mindinao type gameplay and return to a more balanced level of fun. What we see in the large map is the same. Areas where each side gangbangs the undefended areas of the other.

Its absolutely clear to me that base capture as a reset trigger can not be the future if the main is going to remain at 500 folks or higher.  The main is either gangbang or be gangbanged. I am not talking about being out numbered. Anyone can fly safe and avoid the pac and go for the easy kills but thats boring. What I am talking about is the attacks on all sides of 50+ mission planned base rapes.

This isnt a veiled reference to suicide bombers either. HTC seems to be looking into that. When folks see masses of red dots ib a field they dont rush to defend, as there is no defence. You get a few guys trying up who get raped repeatedly until they figure out they ought to go else where. Then the bangers Salute themselves for a job well done before moving to the next one.

Maybe I am just bored all together but things sure have changed.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 05:46:16 AM »
300 ?

Depend of when you log I rarely see more than 200 except on WE ...

and login with  number < 150 is horrible on some map ..

Specially when 80 of those 150 are bishes ...

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 05:52:03 AM »
I preferred the main when it had 200 or so. The assassins could fly as a pack and we would find excellent fights, base captures, etc etc.

I fly late night now when #s are down because i prefer having my space
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 05:52:54 AM »
I became bored with the MA really as soon as our squad got into special events (we fly TOD, CAP and scenarios). It jsut doesn't grab my attention as it did - I remember back when we just had the SFMA (I started playing in v1.03) With A1 at 10k it was a lot of fun trying to take the fields on the plain immediately below it.

Prime-time for me, living in the UK, was about 120 max, averaging at 90. You could always find a fight, however, since the maps were relatively small.

I see no reason to divide the arena up. We just need a few gameplay tweaks (I hear those are in the pipeline) and perhaps an end to the pizza map in its present form. I really can't stand that terrain, despite the hard work the makers put into its creation.

I guess it's a 'rose tinted spectacles' situation - undoubtedly AH is a much better game now and I like where it's going, but I feel a certain nostalgia for the first few months of AH for me. :) It was my first online game apart from Quake II, and it blew me away.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 05:55:59 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding (Work)
it blew me away.

it still do for me :D

(Imagine I've lost and head-on with a Lancaster last night ... quite dumb no ? :p)

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 06:03:40 AM »
Wotan I'm with ya here. i'm curious what AH brings with its next release.
Have had a few good 3 vs. 3 or 4 vs. 4 the last days but not one 1 vs. 1 can be found without at least 3 enemies or friendlies coming in and destroying the fun. I dont mind getting shot down in a good fight but I dont like having fun for 30 sec and see 4 red dots screaming in and killing me.
Often when i see a 1 vs. 1 i ask my country man if i should help or stay away but to be honest if the friendly dies I surely come in and try to kill the enemy. ;)

I'm pretty sure we'll get other Maps with changes in the strat system so I'll wait till next release and see what will be.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 06:04:48 AM »
I realy dont care much for the fighting on the smal maps becuase it realy is not fighting, as Wotan said it is 10% push them back to the field and 90% rape them their mama's and the house they live in get's put to the torch, little or no thought is put the fact that we may want to use the base after it is taken, wose still the MA player has the atention span of a 4 year old and if the hangers all go down they all take off, and the base is loast after all that killing to no end.

Personaly I would rather pay 30$ a month and have half the people playing, or perhaps Wotan is right two areans with a 250 player cap on each.

I realy feal their used to be more fighting, now days it reminds me of FA alot.

Thge realy wierd thing is that the single best thing I can do for my fighter rank is kill guyes on the runway at one of these bases that is being raped, if I want to be competive in the rank catagory I must do this, and the best plane for this is the George or the C hog, ruthless aplacation of firepower brought down on nebies, spawing clulesly and bveeing inatieated in such a maner that I wounder if it does not put some of them off.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2002, 06:08:53 AM by brady »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2002, 06:40:34 AM »
Agreed Wotan.

The other night, Knights were getting gangbanged by Rooks...and Bish. As the number of Knight bases began to shrink, the country jumpers began fleeing en masse Any attempt to get a plane off a field was met with vultching, or hordes and face shooting N1K2's

I just said "f*ck it" and went over to the CT where there were smaller hordes of face shooting N1K2's :)

Seriously, it would be nice to have one arena in which head-on shots were disavowed by the FE.

400+ folks flying the older maps just aint working for me...glad to hear I'm not alone.

DmdMax

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2002, 06:53:41 AM »
Originally posted by DMax

Seriously, it would be nice to have one arena in which head-on shots were disavowed by the FE.

Oh cripes

Sorry but that'd be incredibly stupid and everyone knows that it'll never happen.

Head on only happens if you let it.

Way to work that whine into a completely different discussion though. I'd give it an 8 if it hadn't already been brought up 10000 times before.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2002, 06:54:36 AM »
As i stated in the other thread i would love to see 2 MAs. One like the current and the other with an early planeset. This would devide the people and prevent getting shot down by a N1K in u'r beloved 109E4 :D .

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2002, 07:01:24 AM »
I am hoping the new mission arena finally achieves the style of play I would like to try. When the right number and type of people are playing in the CT, I have a pretty good time. Other than that, I have had way more fun playing HtH than I have ever had in the MA. The most fun I have had in the MA has usually been fights involving 8 or less total aircraft, so why should I even bother to play in the MA? The MA guarantees numbers, but not much else.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2002, 07:17:39 AM »
im impressed wotan, you do know how to whine .. :D

usually i see you beat up on anyone that is not happy with some aspect of the game. I was under the impression that you was payed by HTC ;)

Down to serious business....

I agree with you on this one Wotan :)

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2002, 07:18:53 AM »
I miss the "Cheers-like" feel of the early AH days.

Ya'd log in and "eveyone knew your name"

Alot more were given.

Alot more "good fights" typed regardless of whom won.

Alot more sharing of info in regards to how to improve ones' skill.

But of course I'm very glad HTC is doing well, especially considering how small the overall flightsim community is compared to first person shooter type communities.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2002, 07:22:17 AM »
This contest seems like a complete disaster to me.   It encourages and rewards behaviors most people find offensive - score mongering, flying dweeb planes, vultching, gangbanging, etc.   I pity the poor newbs trying to learn the game in such an environment.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2002, 07:22:53 AM »
I have np with hos. They dont bother me a bit and I rarely ever take a ho and am almost never killed in one. Spray n pray and long range gunner piss me off everytime though. I cant recall the last time I was killed inside d600.

The mt will be more restrictive then the ct. I dont hold out any hopes of it drawing any more then the ct does now. I certainly dont expect it to be an alternative to the main.

I just think the current gameplay model sets the stage for everything about the main that I have come not to like. I dont mind late war aircraft or hos or any of that.

What I find bothersome is the singular focus on field capture with a main population above 400.

Bases arent "captured" they are just rolled up on by a mass onslaught. Folks refuse to fight in anything but that mass. They run or avoid fighting any other way. Their are a few folks that dont.

If the field capture aspect of AH stays the same then I would suggest a split into 2 seperate arenas.

My squad has decided to stop flying in most events because it seems the same type of behavior you see in the main is repeated in these events.

I have no love of object based events as they lead to some of the most gamey types of behavior.

The last 2 tods we flew around in circles for 1 hour 45 min doing nothing. Then to land and refuel and take back off to get raped by 40k aircraft in the last 10 min. Cap has become just like the main to me. I still enjoy the big scenarios even though they have become object based as well. However there are only 70 or so guys that regularly fly axis planes. From reading the bbs about Niemen theres very few interested in flying on the axis side again.

Maybe I am being over critical and its more of an effect of my general boredom/burn out.

I still have an interest in flight sims but theres really nothing else out there. If wb3 didnt suck bellybutton I would go there for a bit.  If il2 wasnt so clumsy in trying to find good online games and if it didnt take a whole afternoon to get 1 or 2 fun fights in I guess I would go there.

Anyway I think it may be time for break......................

edit

the "contest" is irrelevant as the same guys are at the top that are there anytime they put there mind to it.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2002, 07:25:18 AM by Wotan »