Author Topic: To the guys that have been here awhile  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
To the guys that have been here awhile
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2002, 10:56:27 AM »
Originally posted by Charon
I don't know Eagler, maybe I've just been unluky but in at least half of the few times I've ventured into the CT, I've encountered exactly the same behaviors. The CT, for me at least, was like the pizza before the pizza arrived. The 109e running to ack over the "German Fleet" from my low Hurricane, and joining a buddy there who was also menaced by a sole Hurrican without an e advantage was my last experience there.

Charon

i see you met eskimo

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2002, 02:09:59 PM »
yep... you guys should go to the CT where everyone is touchy feely and..... you never have to worry about crowds.
lazs

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2002, 02:44:13 PM »
Originally posted by Oedipus

read please. DoK says is so much more eloquently:

http://216.91.192.19/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52984

So who's DoK and why's DoK the ultimate authority on the subject?  I'll stand my ground... AW(the future)4 had potential.  EA simply refused to do anything with it.  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2002, 02:49:39 PM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2002, 02:51:42 PM »
Originally posted by Oedipus
"so why's DoK the ultimate authority?"

lol.  Forget it.  I don't want to shatter your fantasy.

So you're right. AW was only beginning to rise to being King of the Hill when cold heartless EA ripped it's young, healthy, vibrant heart right out.  

Oed

Nice interpretation :rolleyes: .... I'll go back to my fantasy and you can go massage DoK's backside.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2002, 03:21:30 PM »
Originally posted by Tumor
Nice interpretation :rolleyes: .... I'll go back to my fantasy and you can go massage DoK's backside.

Snork! :D

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2002, 03:23:48 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
This contest seems like a complete disaster to me.   It encourages and rewards behaviors most people find offensive - score mongering, flying dweeb planes, vultching, gangbanging, etc.   I pity the poor newbs trying to learn the game in such an environment.

Amen, Oboe, which is why I am considering cancelling or putting on hold,  my account. The ganging and lack of USN/USAAF A/C representation in the CT is more than I can handle right now. Not to mention the absolute poor-sportedness of these fliers.

I did manage to kill this guy (P-47-25) who was talking trash Over CH 1 to some friends, I guess, about how he loves "pig-stompin'" before he even engaged me. He went down in about 15 seconds.

I guess he won't be talking trach to any more Corsair Pilots.. hehe

Been fun all...see you all at some point in the future

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2002, 04:32:52 PM »
Originally posted by Red Tail 444
Amen, Oboe, which is why I am considering cancelling or putting on hold,  my account. The ganging and lack of USN/USAAF A/C representation in the CT is more than I can handle right now. Not to mention the absolute poor-sportedness of these fliers.

I did manage to kill this guy (P-47-25) who was talking trash Over CH 1 to some friends, I guess, about how he loves "pig-stompin'" before he even engaged me. He went down in about 15 seconds.

I guess he won't be talking trach to any more Corsair Pilots.. hehe

Been fun all...see you all at some point in the future

You meant MA right?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2002, 05:05:40 PM »
I have to say the one thing that really helps me enjoy AH is large forces of the same type of aircraft.

what i mean is for some reason when i am flying along in my chosen ride, say a p40e and there are 11 or so others in the same aircraft with me.
You then meet 20 or so others all in 109s or 205s or similar types and you have a great big fight.

I have no idea why this is more enjoyable than a huge balls of different planes but i suspect its because it LOOKS and FEELS like the WW2 movies or documentaries and seems to be more real.

I think the flying with a total lack of objectives wihich is common in MA really becomes boring rather quickly.I often log on and look for an area i can make a difference and struggle to find that perfect area.

I then often try to form a mission because alone i cant make an impression but with a large body of aircraft you can swing the tide of a battle.
Unfortunately missions seem to be ignored more than ever in the MA and i often log off because the endless 'take off, fight , get kill then die to overwhelming numbers' and repeat, has become too tedious.The fun seems to have gone.

The desert map(pizza) seems to emphasise this even more.
Theres so many bases that capturing one is more of a small chore in a long line of 'things to do'.
I often log into pizza see huge areas that need to be captured and realise alone im not going to make much of an impression, I then try to make a mission, get no response and log off bored.

This is why im hoping the mission theatre will be the saving grace for me.If i can log into an arena and theres a mission ready to go with a real objective I wont have to sit there thinking about what i should do :) The aircraft will all be the same type and will look exceptionally cool just like the scenarios.

Some of my best moments were in scenarios.Either flying a ju88 with a whole squadron fighting off spitfires and struggling home with badly damaged wings and engines. Or the fantastic hostile shores squadrons of 190s attacking huge formations of TBMs or F4us or lancasters.
There wasnt those moments where you look behind you and see 3 aircraft all with various abilities that just about assure you cant choose any option.Thers 4 of the same types! you can decide to use whatever superior manouver you can to escape.

I often find in MA when im low and trying to escape that i have an LA7, Spit and nik all waiting to pounce.
I cant run, the LA7 will reel you in......
I cant turn , the spirfire will easily beat you....
I cant even HO because 20mms bristle on the nik....

theres no fun in relying on blind luck or hoping one of those 3 are newbies.luck is very fickle :p

I long for the old days of AH myself, I personally think they whole atmosphere/gameplay behaviour changed when the numbers increased substantially.around the time AW closed.It can never come back but maybe HTC can add the mission arena and refresh my interest, I really hope so.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2002, 06:05:58 PM »
Attrition as it normally applies to battle is a material process. IE you destroy enough of the enemies personel and material that they no longer can maintain the battle.
In the AH scense Attrition is totaly a moral issue. IE you make the game so unfun for the other side that they cease to play and you win.

This of course only applies to the "reset" game. But if one side can always muster an overwhelming tactical numerical supperiority that can be constantly replaced..what possible success tactic can the other side have?
I feel this unusual form of attrition is a big issue that has crept into the game as it gets bigger. It is far more of an issue now then it was at a 200 person arena.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2002, 08:52:43 PM »
Been here since Oct 1999.  I remember the old times.  Everyone you shot down or shot you down always sent a "" or ":)", maybe a "Nice Shot".

Progress is progress.  I still enjoy the game.  I'm in a great squad which make any misgivings, worthwhile.

Yeager and I were chatting about this very subject the other day in the CT.

BTW,  where is Wardog?????

Swager
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2002, 10:05:49 PM »
The ganging and lack of USN/USAAF A/C representation in the CT

Lol!! I hope you're joking!:D There's usually atleast one US fighter in every setup- even if there was none historically but just to add "variety" to the setup.

Here's the allies planes for the last 4 setups-

This week
F6F, SBD, TBM, P-47D-11 & D-25, P-38L, P-40E, Boston-III, A-20

Week before
P40E ,IL2, LA5, Yak - both models, Bost II, B26, A20

Week before that
P40E,Huricane MK I,Boston,

Week before that
F6f5, TBM, SBD, FM2

US aircraft are anything but under represnted in the CT.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2002, 12:37:44 AM »
I know change the MA to two sides only. That way people have to spread out and you should not have the gang bangs so much; at least in theory. :p
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2002, 07:24:36 AM »
You guys are right, but then again your wrong.

Yes the game has a very different flavor now than it did when we started this whole thing.  I can still remember the first couple of days of open beta, when we were like kids on Christmas morning.  LOOK! at the bright shiney new toys.  

But we as players are different as well.  We've played hundreds, thousands, and I bet in some cases, hundreds of thousands of hours.  We get jaded.  We get burned out.  We leave and we come back.  You can only do the same thing, so many times, before it loses its appeal.

It was the same for me when I started AW back in late 94/early 95. It was the same for me when I moved to WB's just as 0.99 was ending.  It was the same for me and then when I came here when open beta started.  But its almost 2003.  And after 7-8 years of what is basically the same genre of online combat, its hard to get excited about much anymore.  The same thing happened to me with online roleplaying games.  LOK, Ultima Online, Everquest, and the many others that have followed them.  I don't think I've played one of those types of games in a year now.

Yes, the horde/gangbang/suicider mentality of today is tiresome.  The slow withdraw from the community of the Developers/Producer (who use to communicate daily with us).  The ever increasing development cycle and what seems like decreasing content per update as well.  But the past had its problems as well.  But the bigest change is US !!!.  You can never regain your virginity.

Me? I can't hardly find the will to even log in the last 6 months. I read the boards during my breaks at work, talk with my squaddies by email. But I don't hardly fly at all anymore, or play much of any game.

But we'll always have our memories of the Glory Days!! :)

Salute My Friends !

PS: Tumor, AW's demise basically started right after AW3 was released on Gamestorm.  After that it was a corprate decision to minimize costs with very little development, and to maximize profits by increasing player numbers, without regard to its effect on the community and the "flavor" fo the game itself.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2002, 07:44:49 AM »
Verm makes a good point. I think I'm at that burnout stage myself. I used to have a cheery optimistic online persona. Now I'm a grumpy tired old snot. ;)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
two words
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2002, 07:55:48 AM »
Combat Theater :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals