Author Topic: WW2OL, 2nd Impressions  (Read 4512 times)

Offline EvilDingo

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mp3.com/einsteinband
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2002, 04:07:35 PM »
Hardcase, all you have to do to make them like you again is say how great Aces High is. Even if you say nothing bad about Aces High the fact that you play WWIIOL makes you an outcast.

Beeker

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2002, 04:11:55 PM »
Actually, I haven't had any problem with HC in this thread. You know why? Because it looks like a genuine exchange of opinions has occurred. The opinions for the most part have been acknowledged, even if there isn't agreement. IMHO there is nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2002, 04:15:20 PM by Kieran »

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2002, 04:21:35 PM »
your wrong what they have is grab the flag..............err a "timed flag"

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2002, 05:15:09 PM »
My time is limited so i been wiionline for a few hours after midnight. Though i fly the odd time, the FM is far to easy. This has still not been addressed. Easymode FM hasnt changed since beta. No idea why anybody actually flys anything there. I can see why the LW whiners here would like it, unlimited E turns, loops it just laughable.

But the ground war is a different story. this is where i have been spending my time. Between infantry and Tanking. Flying is just a waste of time till FM changes are made. And as far as i have read, the Rats have no intention of changing the easymode FM because they need to please the masses. When they were looking at 2000 players they couldnt justify realistic FM and have this many player not fly.

Ill stick with Tanking there with the odd fighter sortie for hanger fly throughs only.

Dog out..........

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2002, 05:39:01 PM »
speaking of fishu

it was me you saw i just couldnt figure how to get on your channel. and had my hands full with flyin a 110 with no auto pilot. fun watching you and the tanks duke it out, i got a partial on him myself. contact me if you cant love to fight with you.

fanboy moi ?   hehe  i dont think, jerk yea admittedly so. more like they have fixed tons of things on the most audatious project on the planet. and i like alot of it. so i support them with my cash as long as both partys can stand each other.

just like htc

towd

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2002, 05:39:04 PM »
speaking of fishu

it was me you saw i just couldnt figure how to get on your channel. and had my hands full with flyin a 110 with no auto pilot. fun watching you and the tanks duke it out, i got a partial on him myself. contact me if you cant love to fight with you.

fanboy moi ?   hehe  i dont think, jerk yea admittedly so. more like they have fixed tons of things on the most audatious project on the planet. and i like alot of it. so i support them with my cash as long as both partys can stand each other.

just like htc

towd

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2002, 06:03:48 PM »
Wardog, there is no deliberate 'easy mode'. I know they brought in some aeronautical engineers to look at the code. CRS was just as concerned about complaints as anyone. The engineers could not find an error. If there is one it is buried and very subtle. I wonder if a pilot in a hurri I in WW2, knowing he could not die, could perform the loops. I don't know which is true but all planes fly the same code with diff parameters. I flew a p-38 in early WB before Mo got hired and found a misplace call in the post departure of the 38. I don't know if there is a flaw, but I know it is not a deliberate attempt by CRS to dumb down their sim.

I suspect there is some time set up to have the proggies go over the code, but again, there are so many irons in the fire and so few ranglers.

HC

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2002, 06:12:50 PM »
Ummm, many? In AH? I'd say thats the exception not the rule. If you have proof please elaborate.

I regularly play AH for hours on end without a problem. My wife usually hits the sack around 8pm (GMT+12), and I end up playing til Midnight - usually 3 or 4 nights a week. 4 hour stints. Apart from net issues (ie a router dying between NZ and the States) I've not had a crash or disco since the 1.10 Buff bug a few months ago (and that was the first time I'd had problems).

I also come across a very regular crowd at that time (Akak, XtremeXJ, Shane, Voss etc etc). Those guys are on for long periods without any issues as well.

So, please, lay your cards on the table and tell me where you get the idea many people can't play AH for more than an hour?

As for the true idiots showing up? I dunno towd, theres a lot of cool guys joined AH, many AW Refugees and the community is gel'ing quite nicely.

I'm really curious how you come up with these misinformed opinions?

Originally posted by lord dolf vader
you cant trade tit for tat on game errors. i played 6 hours with not one crash or need to reboot last night. many cant play an hour on aces without a crash or lockup its got flaws but its working and frankly it was pretty cool . i havent got up hurting from stiffness caused by not getting up for 5 hours even to pee.over a video game since aces high was in beta. ( befor the true idiots showed up)

Offline EvilDingo

• Copper Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2002, 07:18:46 PM »
My time is limited so i been wiionline for a few hours after midnight. Though i fly the odd time, the FM is far to easy. This has still not been addressed. Easymode FM hasnt changed since beta. No idea why anybody actually flys anything there. I can see why the LW whiners here would like it, unlimited E turns, loops it just laughable.

But the ground war is a different story. this is where i have been spending my time. Between infantry and Tanking. Flying is just a waste of time till FM changes are made. And as far as i have read, the Rats have no intention of changing the easymode FM because they need to please the masses. When they were looking at 2000 players they couldnt justify realistic FM and have this many player not fly.

Ill stick with Tanking there with the odd fighter sortie for hanger fly throughs only.

Hey Wardog, I used to think the FM was only arcade as well, but after having another go at it, I'm not so sure. All the techniques that you use in AH, you can use in WWIIOL. The primary difference between the two is that WWIIOL doesn't model some aircraft characteristics (like compression on the 109) and aircraft seem to hold more energy.

Personally, I think energy bleed is solely based on gameplay. In AH, you have a higher energy bleed (used to be extremely high in the early days) and therefore people fly at higher altitudes to get the maximum use out of their E. With high energy bleed, people fly higher. With low energy bleed, people fly lower.

There are still people in the AH community who think that the AH of old (with the extremely high energy bleed) is correct just because it was 'harder'. Harder doesn't mean more realistic.

In WWIIOL the energy bleed is less in manuvers and therefore people can fly at lower altitudes and still manage to put up a fight. Also, due to the extremely short icon range in WWIIOL people tend to fight lower -- where most contacts will be. WWIIOL dogfights last longer and once someone is on your six you still have cards to play.

In conclusion, I don't think you can base the flight model on its energy retention alone. I feel it can be slewed one way or another just as long as aircraft still perform correctly in relation to each other. Know what I mean? For example, imagine AH exactly as it is now with slightly more E retention. P-47s would still out-zoom Zeros and 190s would still burn E quicker than Mustangs..etc

That said, I think the AH flight model is more realistic and complex. But WWIIOL's flight model is pretty damn good considering everything else the program simulates.

Beeker

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2002, 07:28:10 PM »
Even if you get a decent frame rate flying in WW2OL, can it even come close to AH's new and improved silky smooth net code?  I doubt it.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2002, 08:02:48 PM »
Net code seems fine in wwwol. there was a test time of new code but if you mean that drop in FPS when flying over towns, ppl, ac etc that is not related to the netcode. Datter flying on a p800 with some tweakkng of settings manage to find 50fps alone and arond 30 in fights.

HC

That test of netcode worked extremely well, when it goes in permanent is anyone's guess. BTW the new release tonight has some nice fixes. D520 didnt make it but is very close and expecte next week. Lots of stuff on the roads and in the air being ferried to the front.

Offline EvilDingo

• Copper Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2002, 08:17:54 PM »
The netcode is excellent in WWIIOL. Unless you're on the ground looking up at aircraft -- which looks odd because when you're a ground unit ground targets seem to be prioritized.

Sometimes I use a junk 56k modem and never see warps.

I just messed around online with the new version and FINALLY there is a range channel! What a difference that makes! Okay, it's an 'objective' channel, but it makes communication so much easier.

Beeker

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2002, 07:30:04 AM »
"So, please, lay your cards on the table and tell me where you get the idea many people can't play AH for more than an hour?"

vulcan

excuse me for saying many. a bunch make you feel better? many still fits tho i think

second post in tech support is a lock up bug as of now

title is "Ddhelp crash"

4th is "game freezes after 15 min"

5th is "CTD with new patch"

all to to day and its 7:30 am (im 400 miles from server in same time zone.)

"I'm really curious how you come up with these misinformed opinions?" also vulcan

misinformed ? try reading the tech help forum it has been going on for several versions now. can't comprehend how you could not know.

i have inimate knowlege of both games both have huge flaws ah for some reason ignores proof of mistakes (luftwaff aint their favorite side pretty obviously) without even commenting , really burns alot of folks up including me. at least they are trying to please in ww2 online maby i like that. htc makes it clear its their game they will do what they want if ya don't like it get packin. im tired of air quake.

what can you say about one is better thatn another ? its a matter of opinion.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2002, 10:58:34 AM »
towd I am tired of air quake as well but I didnt see anything that great about wwiiol.

I am sticking with il2 but to each his own. 100% of what you say is right about ah though.

I kept a paid account over at wwiiol from the day it went pay to play until 1.5 somthing but I never played more then a few hours a week.

I was in a squad their with 26 guys last I heard 2 still play it.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
WW2OL, 2nd Impressions
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2002, 07:51:19 PM »
just got done with a wwiiol session.   first was realistic.  followed the mission.  nothing was there.  I flew around.   I got bored.  I got bounced shortly after getting bored.  pilot hit right off the bat.

second sortie.  I go to a different area.  nothing there, but see some cons in the distance.  lots of planes.  all friendly.  hmm...  oh wait, there's a 109.  and a 110.  and another 109.  ooops!  they vanished!   ok, there's that 109 again, I'll get on his 6.  Ok, he's turning, I can cut the corner, ooo, he's leveling out, I'm gonna get the shot...  disappears again.  wait wait wait, there he is, already banking!  rinse and repeat.  Oh, there's one smoking and he's heading away from the town!  oh wait, I can't catch him.  maybe he'll turn.  Yay!  he did, I got some shots on him, and started his leak again.  tree top level, he's heading over the hill towards some friendly troops....  WTF?  he disappeared again!  and I can still see friendly troops!  I check my 5 and 7, rolling to check 6.  nothing.  look for the 109 in front of me...  bam, position 1 hit.  (#*!(@*#(!@*#!!   I hit Alt-F4.

until that is fixed, I will never subscribe to that game.  I refuse to fight invisible opponents, especially when the damned friendly infantry are still updating on my FE.  How f***ing hard is it to bias the netcode to NOT drop the updates on enemy planes and continue to draw them?  drop the friendly planes and updates if you have to, but leave the damned enemy plane that's actually IN my view on the screen.  It's what they call a "deal breaker," at least to me.  Well, I'm off to AH where I know the enemy might warp, but he's never going to engage the cloaking device!
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.