Author Topic: WW2OL verision 1.73 is due Thursday  (Read 647 times)

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL verision 1.73 is due Thursday
« on: December 18, 2002, 04:52:14 PM »
Lots of fixes, more towns, look for the D520. There is also a sea battle coming on the 28th. CRS will be manning the Destroyer that will be coming to the public soon. Might be fun for the returning guys.

HC

Offline Moose1

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 08:04:01 PM »
Is there any way to try the game out without blowing the money on a boxed version?  I'd like to see if my old P3 933 MHz could run it, once I upgrade the vid card to a GF4--but the only account I ever had was a beta account waaaaaaaaay back in the day (version 0064 I think) and never stayed with it after it went pay.  Kinda sucks to have to spend the $ on the boxed version--sure would be nice to be able to download it and pay for a subscription key like the outside-the-US folks can do.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 08:52:53 PM »
If you'v never had a an account where you had to use the CD key, then for now you cannot. You can d/l the full version and use stuff offline tho. They once had a free time for anyone and they may do it again. They can be found for 19.99 at most stores.

HC

Offline VFJACKAL

• Copper Member
Hardcase...........not that it natters.....
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 09:20:26 PM »
I read about the free weekend. I was in WW2OL when it hit the shelves. In fact , I spent at that time almost 2300.00 on a system to play that game after I read from the beta testers that is was going to require a higher machine than thought.....So with this said this is my impression of it again....

Loading a HUGE D/L was a bit of apain in the butt. Did it
The new screens were nice but not all that great.
New interface to get in the game was kind of a pain in the butt.
SO after I finally get to the game I have to search all over for the plane I want to fly. I never found a place to just FLY. You had to join a mission to get a plane. SO...I finally get in a Hurri not being able to get a Spit. I fly ALL over that map anf find 2 enme's. Kill em.(told me that after I Landed) All total flying time about an hour. There was not ONE message from another player on my screen. And yes I had comms set right. system messages out the ass. Had to search all over to try to find towns that needed help. When I did find a town it got CHOPPY..My FPS went to crap and game stuttered beyond belief. Chalked this to maybe my settings screwy. Left game. Spent a bit of time "Tweaking" my machine to a game to play on the lowest levels so that it would still be CHOPPY.

To be honest with you Bud...It's not THAT much better. I played for about 4 hours on Saturday. As long as I was away from towns the Air Battles I found were great. I never lost a plane. Had one damaged but made it back to just about 200 yeards from base. Rescued.....LOL The team play of the allies was not there at all. Kind of like flying for the Knights and hearing certain people bi**h all the time and yet find them giving orders to take out the ack while they cruise alt at 20k+ in a Tempest or Pony cause they dont want to get killed. Just not my thing to listen to those that wont get in the dirt and fight with ya. Allies want to win..But want others to do it for em. AND YES I tried to help. HAd 3 panzers killed as well.

My old squad was in Aces High and left to try WW2OL. It was a novelty at first and we all said "Hey its new and will get better". It really hasnt all that much. At least not enough to subscribe to for me anyway. I like to fly. Driving 15 or 20 minutes to a battle to be killed by a 1 shot wonder panzer is absolutley NOT my thing. Running around trying to find a ride to a town...Or running around a town being a troop doesn't do it for me either. I just want to fly. The game is a great Idea. It has all the potential to be really good. But right now after 2 years? I think it's a bust. I'll check in on it again in a year or so. Our squad as since kind of disbursed except for 3 of us. (The original 3) We fly in a old friends squad here and have a hell of a time.

Best of luck in your quest to rule the virtual world. Hope it gets better like I said. But til I get a mianframe at home...Think Ill just stay with the GREATEST FLIGHT SIM OF ALL.

P.S.  Tell me how to make this game work. Tell me WHY I should try it again even with this update coming? I mean to say..I would pay to play it as well as AH but, right now , it's not there like they said it would be.

P3 1Ghz.
512 meg SDRAM
32 Meg G-Force 2 Nvidia
Road Runner Cable

:(

Offline EvilDingo

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mp3.com/einsteinband
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 10:36:57 PM »
I didn't bother buying the box again, I just purchased a key online. If I had to buy the box, I would have never tried it. HC, if you're in the know, you need to offer both options to potential customers. I don't know if CRS is in some binding contract to only allow the box purchase for US customers, but if they dropped that, they'd certainly get more people into the game. Allow the purchase of keys online for all customers.

That said, I was able to purchase a key because I'm international (in Australia). I don't know how strict the ordering process is though, because I used my US credit card...

Beeker

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2002, 10:45:35 PM »
I'm only a player with a history with some of the rats. Strategy First controls the rights in the US. They will not allow CRS to sell CD Keys to US accounts. CRS can sell the keys in overseas only. They have on one occasion had a free time for anyone, new players included. Whether they do it or can do it again is anyone's guess.
You can d/l1.72 and play offline. Like kissing your sister.

HC

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2002, 10:55:42 PM »
Again...? If you ever had an account you could simply re-activate it and not buy another box. Once you have created your account that CD is of no value.

HC

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2002, 01:26:44 AM »
Even Good ol AW had a better flight modell.
I tried it and it failed. Sorry but WWII isnt worth the 100.000.000 GB of RAM u need to have to have  least 2 frames per sec by using a resolution and video settings i am used to use.
And the grafic isnt worth it also.
Thx for the free try offer but ill stick with gang bang high.
Freeze

Offline bloodstain

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2002, 02:00:39 AM »
Sorry but WWII isnt worth the 100.000.000 GB of RAM u need to have to have least 2 frames per sec by using a resolution and video settings i am used to use.

I agree Been trying it out myself lately, and yes the ground war is pretty good but my God the planes are a joke! Not to mention the framerate does take a big drop when there is a lot of action in one area.

Thats Ok playing WWII online makes me really appreciate all the good hard work that Hitech does for us in Aces High:D

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2002, 02:12:28 AM »
Originally posted by bloodstain
I agree Been trying it out myself lately, and yes the ground war is pretty good but my God the planes are a joke! Not to mention the framerate does take a big drop when there is a lot of action in one area.

Thats Ok playing WWII online makes me really appreciate all the good hard work that Hitech does for us in Aces High:D

Amen !
Who need stinky tanks if i can fly my D9 :)
Freeze

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2002, 11:17:48 AM »
freezw find the cd and ill pay for it.

bombadil

i feel that strongly ill use pay pal.

Offline EvilDingo

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mp3.com/einsteinband
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2002, 11:24:02 AM »
HC, like many people, I was severly dissappointed with the status of the game at launch and sold my copy (account included) on eBay.

:D

Beeker

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2002, 03:21:56 PM »
Originally posted by lord dolf vader
freezw find the cd and ill pay for it.

bombadil

i feel that strongly ill use pay pal.

Instead of paying for my WWII account u better git ur arse back in AH. I really need my wingie back :)
Freeze

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2002, 07:36:06 AM »
came looking for you played for an hour ack wacked me 2 times twice from head on suicides 2 times went back where dieing makes a difference :)

common freeze the luftwaff is waiting you really rather fly for the knits? or somethere chess piece? hehe

haveing the best fighter is cool for a change.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2002, 08:07:04 AM »
hehe, AH does model both the 163 and 262, doesn't it? Ta152? 190D9? 109G10? What "best" is left? :confused:

I guess we could discuss whether they are modeled accurately, but I don't know what should be changed, if anything. I do know that in AH the first three planes I listed are the very best at what they do bar none. So I guess I struggle with the "best" comment.

It's great you like WWIIOL, no argument with that at all. No argument that AH has flaws and some people are struggling with CTDs. That's a given in a game that large, silly to try to deny that. The CTD problem in AH is not on the magnitude CTD's in WWIIOL, however, and that point should be made. That would be a silly argument to make.

There are some very cool things in WWIIOL that make it attractive enough to keep checking it out... but the things that go wrong can be immensely disruptive. If you enjoy it regardless, good. If you don't, good too. It's just a game.

Here's what I don't get, even to this day... what fun is it to fly the plane that completely outclasses everything else in the game bar none? OK, you might say it is fun to be able to dominate, and it might be... for a while. But after you routinely rack up 6-10 kill sorties, doesn't it get... old? Don't you miss the challenge? On the flip side, how can a group of players really be expected to continue to play the "Groundhog Day" BoF, and like it? Of course they get rolled over... they should. Boring to fly one side, unrewarding to fly the other.

Now changes are being made to make it a bit more tolerable. Spits can be had on the mainland, He111s can be brought forward. The D.520 will be in-game.  Can these changes help the game? Maybe... but it does draw the game away from the historical standpoint. And it will be much more difficult for the 109 to "Rool". Will the LW pilots be satisfied with the changes? Dunno. It will be interesting to see if their "superior training and tactics" messages continue. (to this day, that line cracks me up) :D

Now we could discuss ignorant game bugs like clipping, titanium control surfaces on your beloved 109, lack of critical and incremental damage on specific vehicles, but that only deflects from the core problem IMHO- the game was designed so that the Allies shouldn't win the BoF, because that's historical. If this doesn't excite you, nothing else matters.