Author Topic: Cure For Head On's  (Read 1419 times)

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Cure For Head On's
« on: December 28, 2002, 06:54:30 PM »
HT could really cut down oon the HO's in the game by killing both pilots involved and deducting 20 perk points !!
I think it would make them costly enough that people would do there best to avoid them.
Just an idea i am sure some of you will think im nutts.
But if you have a better idea please i would love to hear it.
Mat be Just Maybe HT will do something about them in the future?
Also the Kamakazi tactics used on the CV's.
well crap in real life a plane crashing into a ship caused some damage why not in the game?
Again I think it should cost perk points to keep it from getting out of hand but hey why not LOL.
Any one with some sensable ideas out there?\
Lets hear em.

Offline San

• Copper Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2002, 07:04:43 PM »
Head ons are actually very easy to avoid. I have never understood why everyone complains about them.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2002, 08:18:59 PM »
rc51, what san said.

Ask Curval.

;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2002, 08:27:07 PM »
The lead turn makes the HO obsolete.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2002, 08:39:32 PM »
I don't care if you're nuts or not but HO's are easily avoided However on the other hand according to more than one account I have read they were a part of a2a combat in ww2. Simply because you use what you can to drop the other guys out of the sky and you may not get another shot at them.

Anyway leave things with HO's as they are and learn to avoid them if possible.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline bomber6969

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bombergroup.com
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2002, 08:43:06 PM »
its not hard to stop HO's...and it takes 2 people to do it

Offline Booky

• Copper Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2002, 08:54:32 PM »
HO's are great.... errr um fine just the way they are.

I do agree with the idea about aircraft causing dammage. I mean dam if I am going in from lets say a enemy ack, I would just love to guide my 1 wing wonder into a hanger or fuel or something.

Booky

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2002, 08:55:24 PM »
Originally posted by Innominate
The lead turn makes the HO obsolete.

Lead Turn gets you killed if you lead it infront of me.  Cut throttle and wait until you snap infront of me... That easy.

Dive under the nose of the enemy if your trying to avoid a HO.

Offline snocone

• Copper Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2002, 09:20:32 PM »
start a nice, smooth barrel roll when your about 1.5k away. works pretty good for me, hard to hit me.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2002, 09:48:49 PM »
nothing wrong with a good old HO, avoid them if you want, its easy as every1 above me has said

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2002, 10:18:06 PM »
Thy stick and thy rudder pedals shall take you out of the path of the wicked HO and lead you onto the righteous path of the angles fight.

Use 'em or lose 'em.  ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2002, 10:21:10 PM »
There's an assumption that HT wants to do something about HOs...  You might want to give him a call and ask first, before telling everyone what you think HT ought to do about any particular issue.

echo 1 > /dev/rant

That goes for HO's, ack lethality, moderation idiocy, etc.  There's a lot of posting going on here about why one feature or another is broken, stupid, or whatever, and even more posting on what HT ought to do about it, but frankly none of that matters if HT thinks it's working as planned.  As a simple purely hypothetical example, if random acts of moderation get rid of a few vocal players that are perceived to be detracting from the game, then it makes sense to keep such a system in place.  Getting a moderator message saying "it's my game" makes HT's position on arena moderation very clear.  The same goes for ANY game feature, from ack strength to coming up with some way to discourage headon attacks.  HT will set up the game to encourage certain things, discourage other things, and whatever he doesn't care about he will leave alone.

My personal guess after playing HT's game for 7 years is that HT doesn't care very much about headons, otherwise he would have done something about it by now.  I don't personally care so I've never asked, but anyone who does ought to pick up the phone and ASK before making any assumptions.  In my experience, HTC is very accessable and willing to speak to players on the phone about almost any topic, so it's worth a shot.

echo 0 > /dev/rant
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2002, 10:48:24 PM »
Well said, Eagl.

Are you gonna copyright that or can we cut/paste it as necessary throughout the board?  ;)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2002, 11:25:47 PM »
LOL Toad :)

Feel free to cut-n-paste all ya want.  I'm using the EPL (eagl public license) which sez that if I post something online and it's copied, I just want to be credited, and if you make any money off of it I'd like a share of the profits.

Then again, I think the EPL isn't compatible with the usage agreement for the BBS, so I guess I'll be happy if you quote it accurately :D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2002, 11:28:46 PM by eagl »
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Cure For Head On's
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2002, 12:06:06 AM »
Why haven't guys stopped whining about HO's yet?????????????

Dont want to be in an HO?  Dont be in one.  Feel free to point your plane away from the dastardly fool who plans to shoot you in the face!  Give him your tail to shoot, I sure he won't mind.

Oh, whats that you say?  You dont want to turn away, you want him to?  Well tuff turds!

I have never,  make that NEVER seen a one plane HO yet.  Both planes must be pointed nose to nose to have a true HO.  So, the HO whiners must be doing the very same thing.  

Whats that you say?  He turned into you?  Well, go figure you numbskull, he choose to shoot at you rather than just let you have a free shot at him. Amazing.

GUESS WHAT homeboys!  HO's were known to happen in real life, in real air to air combat.  I met a group of P38 pilots from the war at a reunion they were having in a hotel I was staying at a couple years ago.  When discussing tactics, I asked about HOs.  They told me emphatically, THEY DID THEM ALL THE TIME!  IT was a common tactic when facing superior turning German aircraft, and dont be mislead, the P38 couldnt turn worth a toejam compared to most any other fighter.  They HO'd, then ran like hell.

So, instead of whining about HO's, develop some skill, learn to avoid the situation, failing that, get a crying towel to whimper into, because I am sure alot of us are tired of hearing it.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"