Author Topic: And this gentlemen is why.  (Read 4691 times)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Wulfie
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2003, 01:50:36 PM »

Wulfie,
I started in AW during the old Genie days where I used Cris to get online through the old bb's.
On my very first day I got up and saw two planes flying formation about 3k away. I raced over a tried to put a few rounds into them. Next thing I got was a radio message calling me a handsomehunked dweeb and to stop shooting at my own countrymen.
Guess what? They were right. But I said,"sorry" and they didn't hold a grudge. Many newbys are kinda running around in the dark and most folks hold out a helping hand, no matter what game.

Nuff said about that. What I'm trying to say is,
in life, at work, at play, 98% of the people are
pretty upstanding and will help. However, they are the quiet ones. What everyone hear is the 2% that couldn't be pleased no matter what they do in life, work or gaming. Therefore, a question should be asked about tolerance. Should the rest of the community put up with a 2% malcontent group at the expense of the rest?

I think you may have run into the 2% group in AW. For that I'm truly sorry as you should have had the same right to experience a great game. I am glad that you were able to find WB and then on to here and look forward to shooting yer bellybutton down one of these days. :D

Offline Maniacal81st

• Zinc Member
And this gentlemen is why.
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2003, 02:04:43 PM »
Think about this:

Imagine if HT was able to use the time he spends policing the BB on improving the quality of the game.  His plate is full as it is, and having to baby sit a bunch of useless comments on the BB simply wastes his and other staff members' time.  

Everyone please make an effort to keep your posts to the point, and remember that name calling, squad bashing, country ridiculing, etc. do nothing but decrease the quality of the AH experience for many users.  The BB is a wonderful tool for both new and old users.  I have contributed to these childish antics, and will stop immediatley, as to help lead by example.  

HT, you are doing a great job, and you have a big THANK YOU from the 81st Krewsaderz!!

Captain MaNiaCaL
   ~*81st*~ Strike Kamikaze Wing
     ~*81st*~ Krewsaderz

Offline Karaya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2003, 02:30:26 PM »
Imagine there are no air planes.....its not hard to try.

Imagine there are no countries, AH would die.

Imagine all these people, not needing a BBS.....

Wooo hooo ooooooo....

Imagine there was no Luftwaffe. No one would die.

Imagine there were no arguments. No one would cry.

Imagine all these pilots....living in a world of blue...

Wooo hooo ooooooo....

Imagine there was no ground war.

Imagine no one was AH poor.

Imagine all these problems...stop repeating themselves....

Wooo hooo ooooooo....

Offline DrDea/Kvorkian

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2003, 02:31:51 PM »
On my very first day I got up and saw two planes flying formation about 3k away. I raced over a tried to put a few rounds into them. Next thing I got was a radio message calling me a handsomehunked dweeb and to stop shooting at my own countrymen.

LMAO...Gawd that brings back a memory.My first flight I took off and there was a low buff just going away from the field.Almost as if he had just taken off.:rolleyes:  I get behind him hands shaking and blow my entire wad hitting nothing.My first online flight sim.He was real cool about it tho.    
 Dont go by what ya hear right off the bat.There is a malcontent group that just wont be satisfied till everyone plays the game the right way.By that they mean THERE way.

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
Re: Wulfie
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2003, 02:32:11 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
I think you may have run into the 2% group in AW.[/B]

I have no doubt that I did. The crucial thing that (almost)everyone needs to understand is that alot of people trying AH for the first time are going to have no idea that the BBS usually equals the vocal minority of the online players.

Mike/wulfie

p.s. I can occasionally post to the AH BBS right now, but I won't be able to play AH (again) for at least 3-4 months. So when it comes to actually 'flying' in AH - I'll see you when I see you. :)

p.p.s. In case anyone was wondering, this is why I (temporarily) cancelled my AH account.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2003, 03:18:59 PM »
Thanks a lot HiTech!

I'm sure these low class trash get their ego boost by undermining others but it sure drives away the ones who you care about.

Keep up the great work and could you please find a few trusted folks to do the same on the MA?

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2003, 03:42:10 PM »
Cripes, no one makes HT police the BBS, he chooses to.  It's up to him if he wants to spend time policing the bbs instead of coding.  As so many have pointed out, it's his company.

Besides, I thought community management was Skuzzy's baliwick.

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
Wish I had a cattle prod
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2003, 03:44:00 PM »
I was a police officer for 7 years in a rough city... I've heard every insult there is, and have probably been called every name in the book even though I always tried to do my best to serve the public. At first it was disheartening, and I took it a bit personally... Later, I learned that's just how it is... Whether HT likes it or not, he's right smack in the middle of a random grouping of human beings... Most behave properly, some do not...  There will ALWAYS be a few people who for one reason or another just feel the need to irritate others. I don't envy his position one little bit, as he's trying to run a business and keep as many people as possible happy. A task that is quite impossible in my estimation.

Good luck HT, and more power to ya!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2003, 04:10:01 PM »
Thrawn:
Besides, I thought community management was Skuzzy's baliwick.

Who do you think Skuzzy ask what to do when he is not sure?

When you own the company, everything is your responsiblity. And some things can only be done by the the guy in charge. This is one of them.

And your right I do choose to, but it is an issue I wish I didn't have to deal with.

HiTech

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2003, 04:20:17 PM »
Thrawn,

At least HT keeps an eye on his business...  Most people would be content to just sit back and collect the money. I can't stand butt kissers, but I'll go out on a limb and say HT is trying his best to keep as many people as possible happy. Would you take the time to do that?

I just appreciate the fact that someone actually cares. $14 a month may not be a huge sum, but it's my money I'm paying, and I feel better paying it to someone who actually tries to practice the dying concept of customer satisfaction.

Offline DEMAN

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/dthbr/
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2003, 04:21:57 PM »
Things that make you go.. hmmmmm

Ya know what makes me wonder HiTech? You own the company and administer it  ...but I see guys with many times your post numbers on these message boards. How does one end up with that much free time on their hands???:confused:

DEMAN

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2003, 04:30:24 PM »
Thanks for your efforts here also HT.  

Things do get a bit over the top on these boards.   Its time to remind everyone to play nice I guess.  

Just a question guys,  what ever happened to posting about epic air battles or amazing dogfights?   It seems all people do is complain and troll.  :/

Lets get back to tales of the Rooks v Bishops and the knights sneak attacks..   anything a little more positive and entertaining.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2003, 04:31:40 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Who do you think Skuzzy ask what to do when he is not sure?

When you own the company, everything is your responsiblity. And some things can only be done by the the guy in charge. This is one of them.

And your right I do choose to, but it is an issue I wish I didn't have to deal with.

HiTech

I would think that as your business becomes bigger and your customer base grows,  you would want to be delegating more of responsibilities?

Another way of dealing with the problem would be to give Skuzzy more authority.  Then he would have to check with you as much.  A cocise code of conduct would also help.  Less ambiguity would make the need to consult less.

Although I understand that having a concise code of conduct will lead to rules lawyering.  

It doesn't make much sense to me for the lead coder and president to be spending valuable time policing the BBS.

Anyways, there's my two cents.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2003, 04:34:32 PM »
Here's an idea for HT ...

Take away Perk Points, kinda like mom sending you to bed without desert.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2003, 04:37:07 PM »

It doesn't make much sense to me for the lead coder and president to be spending valuable time policing the BBS.

I agree with you on a day to day basis. But read my words, not what you want to hear. Some things can only be done by the boss.

Things have gotten out of hand, and now is one of those times.

HiTech