Author Topic: A request to the AH Community  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Turdboy

• Copper Member
A request to the AH Community
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2003, 11:47:00 AM »
slimm50 I wasn't directing my comments towards you but more towards the whole group.

I have no problem with your comments nor just about everyone else here.

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2003, 12:31:13 PM »
Originally posted by Turdboy
slimm50 I wasn't directing my comments towards you but more towards the whole group.

I have no problem with your comments nor just about everyone else here.

:cool:

Offline seabat

• Copper Member
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2003, 02:27:15 PM »
FD,

I have not used the word since 1979 and will not use it in the future.

My history professor explained that it was an offensive term to some Japanese people and said he would never use it.  I figured if a man who started his combat service as a marine on Guadalcanal felt it was offensive to some people it probably was.

For what it is worth you can count me as one person who will honor your request.

PS.  Thanks for saving my butt from that spitfire the other day!

Offline jEEZY

• Copper Member
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2003, 02:45:39 PM »
dont you have anything else to worry about? jeez.

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2003, 02:46:34 PM »
I spoke with two Marine Corps veterans who fought in the Pacific and ask them about the use

My dad is a WWII Pacific Vet and uses both terms.  He doesn't intend them to be offensive either but that does not make it inoffensive to reader.  It costs us nothing *not* to use the term so why simply honor the request that started this thread.

(Re my Dad: At some point in the 58 years since the war he seems to have stopped thinking of the Japanese as the "enemy" an regards them as a quickly diminishing group of fellow combatents of WWIII that happened to be on the other side.  Some years back he was very excited to meet both Gregory Boyington and Saburu Sakai.  He has a signed copy of "Bye Bye Blacksheep.")

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2003, 03:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
FD... ok let me explain again... The japs that fought in WWII for The U.S. were not "japs"... They were American..  We treated some of them badly.   We have admitted to the world that we were wrong about that.   I grew up in Los Angles in the '50's in an area where about half the people were Americans of Japanesse decent.   They were all good folk that I could tell.   I had no animosity at all toward them.   They had nothing to do with the atrocities or with their countries policy.   They could not apolodgize for their country even if they wanted to but I sensed that they felt very bad about how the japs had acted..  

Now... take japan... they have never admitted any wrongdoing in the attrocities that were well.... inhuman... animalistic.  Not isolated incidents but a policy of inhumanity commited with glee and zeal.   So...

When I think of japanesse peoiple (people who live there) I think about unrepentant and arrogant isolationists.   I realize I am generalizing and.... I also realize that I will give each individual a chance as I meet him but..  Like a lot of guys here we have no respect for a country that is so unrepentant about something so horrible.
lazs

Lazs, thank you for your explanation.  I suspected that you had some contact with Japanese folks.  And I am glad to know that you are well informed of where we are in terms of coming to terms with the war.  I am not disagreeing with you.  Yes, Lazs, this is all true.  As I said before, we suck in diplomacy.  I realize that we have to do something.  Which is what I am telling you.  I do feel that this is a serious problem for us.  And therefore, we should be reminded of what we did.  My point in response to yours was that the term JAP is a convenient term for this reminder.  About 15years ago, I was in the Philippines and just about that time, we had a diplomatic row with that country (God knows what we did there during the war.)  They were very angry and only at that time did the word JAP ever come up on public radio.

I know I am pushy with my request.  It's just a request.  If it's just a matter of abbreviation for you, please consider using other abbreviations like the ones I suggested.  If this becomes a matter of PC or civil rights for you, then I just ask you to just ignore my request.  That is all.

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2003, 03:05:57 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
maik... your opinion on WWII atrocities and nicknames for people who commited them would be.... interesting.
lazs

Lazs,  Maik is just a good friend of mine who I always see when I am in Berlin.  Please don't mind him.

Maik, I am fine. :)

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
Re: hmmmm
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2003, 03:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hammy
I will use this opportunity to apologise for using the term and that i will refrain from using it in AH anymore purely and simply because you find it offensive and have personally requested that all AH should do so.

Hammy, thank you.  I am sorry I could not properly address it before.

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2003, 03:23:59 PM »
doesn't JAP stand for Jewish-American Princess? :D

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2003, 03:24:50 PM »
Originally posted by jEEZY
dont you have anything else to worry about? jeez.

yeah, I must be stupid doing all this just for a game right?  But, no, this actually becoming to be a good cultural exchange.  I am learning how people are using the term and how they feel.

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2003, 03:39:18 PM »
People, uhmmm... I wish to point out something here again, while at it maybe rephrase my request...

The reason why I did not bring this up with HTC directly is because I did not want this to be some law or PC or the term be included in the profanity filter.  There are many sides to a story, and mine just happens to be one of them.  I wanted for all of you to decide for yourselves what is appropriate for you.  As I said before, please do this out of your own free will.  Should you decided not to go along with my request, just be aware that your words may be interpreted differently that you intended.  [edit: I also have to be aware that it is intended differently than I interprete... hopefully, I don't end up schizo...] That is all.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2003, 04:06:57 PM by FDutchmn »

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2003, 04:04:54 PM »
Originally posted by sourkraut
FD - I absolutely support you on this. However, I do find your CPID a little humorous given your request.

FD - Do you get to Tokyo much? I go about once a month, staying at the Imperial Hotel in the Hibiya district.

I'll be sure to drop you a line the next time I go.  We have an office in Tokyo, so I go there quite often.

As for my handle... uhmmm... I guess... I should change it?  I am starting to feel that way... "Flying Dutchman" is a ghost.  A name of a Dutch novel, a musical piece, and also a type of sailboat.  Also a name of a restored P51.... I took it from me boat.

Offline Scootter

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2003, 05:16:34 PM »
I will not use the term JAP again, I only want to offend when I mean it.

FD has stated a good case and I respect him for it .

Now ya'll call me GRITS couse I like em.

I think this is (or should be) about over, there is enough anger and hate in the world we really don't need it where we come to escape and unwind.

NUFF???

SEEE YA  

SCOOT  OUT

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
The Golden Rule
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2003, 05:55:55 PM »
HINDU:  This is the sum of duty; do naught unto others which if done to thee would cause thee pain.

ZOROASTRIAN:  That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself.

TAOIST:  Regard your neighbour's gain as your own gain, and your neighbour's loss as your own loss.

BUDDHIST:  Hurt not others in ways that you would find hurtful.

CONFUCIAN:  Do not unto others what you would not have them do unto you.

JAIN:  In happiness and suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures as we regard our own self.

JEWISH:  Whatever thou hatest thyself, that do not to another.

CHRISTIAN:  All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them.

ISLAMIC:  No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself.

SIKH:  As thou deemest thyself, so deem others.

OZARK: Use common sense, treat others with the same respect as you expect.

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2003, 06:30:54 PM »
Originally posted by FDutchmn
yeah, I must be stupid doing all this just for a game right?  But, no, this actually becoming to be a good cultural exchange.  I am learning how people are using the term and how they feel.

FD, I was wondering if we could continue this cross-cultural learning experience, could you email me please, at  bluedog@kg200.com  , thanks.

Blue