Author Topic: A request to the AH Community  (Read 3366 times)

Offline TheManx

• Copper Member
      • http://4wingonline.com
A request to the AH Community
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2003, 10:08:06 AM »
Bad post.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2003, 10:09:57 AM »
Duly noted.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2003, 10:16:52 AM »
Well stated.

Gee, I always thought you were Dutch :cool:

DmdMax

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2003, 10:25:53 AM »
Originally posted by hogenbor
But consider this: Many Dutch people suffered heavily at the hands of the Japanese in WWII and this includes the pilots of the KNIL who fought a desperate battle defending the Dutch East Indies (what is now Indonesia).  To the veterans and those who remember, your name in AH might be far more offensive than using the phrase 'JAP'.

Yes, Hogenbor, although I am 35, I am aware of the atrocities my country has caused.  I was raised in a country in Southeast Asia where we had invaded during the war.  I had an uncle who died in a mental hospital recently, he was confined there because he came home crazy from the army.  Currently, we also have lawsuit from the Dutch veterans for their treatment in the POW camps during the time and we still have issues about comfort women who were taken into slavery against their will.  I, too, live with what happened in WW2.  I feel that it is my duty to remember as much as I can about it, and not repeat this dreadful ordeal that has caused a lot of suffering.

As for my handle, I took this from the sailboat I used to sail.  My online gaming started with MegaWars I which is a spaceship game.  "Flying Dutchman" is also a literary work and it is also a musical work, and therefore I'd like to think that this concept is reaching those outside of Netherlands as well.  I am moved by these works as well, and I'd like to name myself from it if nobody else is using it... that's as far as that one goes.

Originally posted by fullback
I don't confront people about calling me "gaijin." I can't change the world.

Yes, I understand fullback... I am what you call a Kikokushijo, I am a different breed!  I know what you are going through too.  

Do you know how long it took me to decide whether to make this thread or not?  Honestly, I feel very stupid doing this.  However, I felt that it was worth an attempt to get this across because some guys were intentionally using it repeatedly in the manner like the screenshot... I could have squealed to HTC that this guy said this, that guy said that.... but... well...  what would that make me?  A police on channel 1?  I am not trying outlaw the term, that is why rather than reporting every single guy who used the term to HTC, I chose to say it here... once and only once.  I had my say, if people are willing to listen to my pleas, then that's the best thing I can have, and I carry on.

Well, that's it... I will drop you a line before I go to Tokyo.  I will be looking forward to that beer!

Offline AGJV44_Rot 1

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2003, 11:01:55 AM »
While were at it can you add on the ban list anything that has to do with Luftwobble or any of the sort.  It is really ticking me off being called these names.  And it is hurting me because I am german.  I see all kinds of words slurs acusations you name it.  If you can't take being called something then leave.  This world has truly turned into a tree hugging liberal arts movement.  I have been called just about everything (justification pending on a few of them).  People need to grow a little more skin on their back and take it.  Call me a redneck southerner as well hell I don't care.  

Give people an inch they will run with it for a mile.

Offline Dawggus

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nightmares.org
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2003, 11:13:54 AM »
Originally posted by FDutchmn
Do you know how long it took me to decide whether to make this thread or not?  Honestly, I feel very stupid doing this.

FD, you did the right thing to voice your (and I'm sure other's) feelings.  Reasonable people will take heed, and the unreasonable people aren't worth the time and effort anyway ;).  Thank you for handling this issue with tact and integrity, as always, you're a true gentleman :).

Cya up!

Dawg

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2003, 12:07:24 PM »
Originally posted by Turdboy
I am not now nor will I ever be PC.

Well.  How admirable.  But this isn't a question of being politically correct, it's a question of rudeness.  Do you use four-letter words around kids to prove to their parents that you're not politically correct?  Do you mind if someone calls your wife a bimbo slut, just to convince you that he's not going to be one of those mealy-mouthed politically correct college professor types?  One of our friends has honestly, and hesitantly, asked us to please not use a term that offends him and other people like him.  You have to be either very young (and you're not), or very forgetful (possible) not to recognize that "Jap" is not simply a shortening of "Japanese."  There's nothing particularly manly or courageous in making fun of his polite request.

- oldman (geez.  sometimes you guys amaze me)

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2003, 12:42:41 PM »
Originally posted by Dawggus
FD, you did the right thing to voice your (and I'm sure other's) feelings.  Reasonable people will take heed, and the unreasonable people aren't worth the time and effort anyway ;).  Thank you for handling this issue with tact and integrity, as always, you're a true gentleman :).

Cya up!

Dawg

I fully agree...

FDutchmn, my hat is off to you. Your statements about WWII are very brave indeed. You don't hide or deny anything, you just look the hard truth in the eye and try to live with it as best as you can. This deserves the utmost respect.

Quite frankly I don't know any Japanese people and I do not know much about Japanese culture. And I have to admit that what I do know might be biased.

I took some time to read about the meaning of  'Kikokushijo' though, I think I owed you that much.

If you ever find yourself in The Netherlands I'll happily offer you a beer too.

Best regards,

Ronald Hogenboom
The Netherlands

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2003, 12:48:29 PM »
I've used "Japan" when referring to anything about Japanese planes...however, I'm still waiting for a politically correct name for Redneck.:mad:

Offline Rotorian

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2003, 12:50:10 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I'm still waiting for a politically correct name for Redneck.:mad:

Hillbilly?

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2003, 12:57:00 PM »
How about Neck de Rouge

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2003, 12:57:10 PM »
a guy driving bmw and a carpeted garage worried about the word "redneck"?

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2003, 01:00:06 PM »
Well said Flying Dutchman.

Totally agreed.

Btw Replicant, "a finn" is a correct english word when referring to a finnish person, it's no abbreviation AFAIK. ;)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2003, 01:05:17 PM »
honestly speaking people who use the word jap normally do NOT mean it in any derogitory fashion...even though to you take it the same way a mexican would take being called gringo they DO not mean it that way...if you take offense ask the person using it to stop being a lazy arse and write out the entire word or use jpn instead

i of course being lucky come from acountry with no abreviations...:cool:

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2003, 01:05:45 PM »

Hillbilly?

Thar is a Trimenjus difference between a Redneck an' a Hillbilly. ah sh'd know, i b a Hillbilly.