Author Topic: A request to the AH Community  (Read 3368 times)

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
A request to the AH Community
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2003, 01:13:52 PM »
My associate at work is named Yamamoto and mother survived Hiroshima. Delightfull lady of the "old" world.

We've all been together for years. He doesn't take offense in any way to whats being discussed here.

But if you want to see a rise out of him, with a cold hard stare that's all business..

Call him Korean.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2003, 01:33:25 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon
honestly speaking people who use the word jap normally do NOT mean it in any derogitory fashion...even though to you take it the same way a mexican would take being called gringo they DO not mean it that way...if you take offense ask the person using it to stop being a lazy arse and write out the entire word or use jpn instead

i of course being lucky come from acountry with no abreviations...:cool:

I kind of doubt that most Mexicans would be too insulted by being called 'Gringos'. Since the term 'Gringo' is a Mexican insult directed at people from the U.S. :).
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2003, 01:37:19 PM »
I'm sure there are some who try to use *Jap* as a derogatory term, however I beleive most just use it as an abbreviation. (like myself). There is only so much space in each line you can type.

If someone is using *jap* as a racial slur..film it and send it to HTC.

Whoever said that Mexican's are called Gringo's is wrong...Gringo is a derogatory term used BY Mexican's to describe white people (specifically Americans I think).

FD I commend you for speaking your peace...film those rat bastards and send the films to HTC. Most don't intend you any offense when using the term *Jap*, so try to remember that and not take offense when none is intended :)

Cya up FD!

Elfie
Armageddon Pile-it
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2003, 01:37:52 PM »
Since the Japanese called us "yanks" during the war, shouldn't "Yank" also be banned?

It works two ways you know  :)

J_A_B

Offline Esme

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2003, 01:50:36 PM »
Noted, Osamu Ida-san!  Must admit, I had thought it was the intent behind the use of the term that made the difference between use of  "Jap" being derogatory rather than just lazy, but there y'go, lots I don't know. And being an ex-WB'er, I'm used to using IJ or IJN or IJA at need.

Very, very well-put post, m'dear!

!

Esme

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2003, 01:51:03 PM »
Originally posted by Wmaker
Well said Flying Dutchman.

Totally agreed.

Btw Replicant, "a finn" is a correct english word when referring to a finnish person, it's no abbreviation AFAIK. ;)

OIC, U R right :)

Yup, should have used a different word to 'abbreviation', as mentioned by someone else, a simple shortening of the word would have been sufficient! :)
NEXX

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2003, 01:51:33 PM »
Originally posted by Batz
a guy driving bmw and a carpeted garage worried about the word "redneck"?

I tried squeezing a gunrack in my rear window, but the guns wouldn't fit :(
Moral of the story:
You can take the redneck out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the redneck.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 02:16:58 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2003, 01:53:58 PM »
I call Germans Krauts, so its OK if I call you Jap.

j/k

I thought you were dutch?

Offline Killjoy2

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2003, 02:18:46 PM »
Let's see, this is a World War II Flight sim (with a little ground action) and we shouldn't use Jap or Kraut or even redneck?

It strikes me that a certain part of the simulation is the vocabulary. That said, AH is a sim community and it is out of place to be rude or abusive.  

I for one will use kraut and jap if the situation calls for it.  I won't be rude or use words as a racial slur, but as part of the sim.

If this simple use of vocabulary is upsetting to some, well they might be in the wrong place.

Try the UN.

Offline Ridge

• Copper Member
      • http://www.combatfs.com/forums/index.php
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2003, 02:19:40 PM »
Call me Ridge, Yank, target, whatever....

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2003, 02:21:59 PM »
Jap = [Jap]anese. Euro = [Euro]pean. Aussie = [Aus]tralian. Canuck = [Can]adian.

[size=10]Suck it up, princess.[/size]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2003, 01:02:17 AM by wetrat »
Army of Muppets

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2003, 02:29:29 PM »
don't uderstand how you can take offence to a word like Jap when it's the first sound of your country and peoples name  ..

and you should understand the war wasn't that long gone some US families still have very strong feelling about anything to do with the Japanease... as i'm sure some Jap. (ok if you use a period behind it?) families still have strong feelings aginst the U.S.

so for the rest of history the world can't say jap.... what if i start to say japan but meant korea and cut myself off at jap ... am I a racisit ..... words don't hurt people... people hurt people.. if they outlaw Jap then they need to outlaw kruat... then how will I talk about Ruben sandwhiches!!!

The  idea is that by being rediculous i show you how stupid being PC is ...'words don't hurt people... people hurt people'.... ie the spirit is everything .. that guy useing jap badly could easily said much worse without so much as one 'bad' word .... and in the end which words are 'bad' my freind ... shall we learn newspeack from 1984?

so is jew anti- semitic or just shorthand .... what about Pol, or maybe Finn.....  I think it's silly to worry beyond the ahole's spirit in the screen capture.... what about wop,gook,sap, chinc etc ... bet he could have used tho's words instead.....

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2003, 02:40:23 PM »
Originally posted by Ridge
Call me Ridge, Yank, target, whatever....

How about "Late for dinner" ??

Offline Ridge

• Copper Member
      • http://www.combatfs.com/forums/index.php
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2003, 02:44:27 PM »
How so Ripsno?

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2003, 03:46:18 PM »
Wow, FDUTCHMAN, I feel a bit of your pain man personally... I know where you are coming from.

In Australia, most people call Japaneese ... Japs. Its a shortened for Japaneese. Its too bad that that it reminds you of the past evil, but thats the way it is. There are worst things to be called.

Trust me!

There are old men and women who still feel the pain of your countries history.

Only you can change the present for future generations. Whats done is done.