Author Topic: A request to the AH Community  (Read 3365 times)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
A request to the AH Community
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2003, 03:52:17 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I tried squeezing a gunrack in my rear window, but the guns wouldn't fit :(
Moral of the story:
You can take the redneck out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the redneck.

Rip...

You are just a redneck wannabee!!!! A REAL redneck would simply get a bigger rear window :D :D :D
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline TAILGUNNR

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2003, 03:52:35 PM »
JAP is how i've spelled it for the longest time and that'just an abbreviation that means nothing racist or derogitory and it wasnt even used in WWII as a dirogitory term really.  All it is is an abbriviation your making it sound like JAP is the saMe as Kraut which is totally wrong.  The only thing i can think that would be similar to calling JAPS a kraut is calling them a riceball which i wouldn't do.

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
Re: A request to the AH Community
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2003, 03:55:54 PM »
Originally posted by FDutchmn
To the AH Community,

I have been thinking about this request for some time now but even at the risk of being flamed, I decided to post this anyway.
While I do not wish to limit anybody's freedom, I respectfully request to please refrain from using this term, so there will not be mistake with your intentions.  Please use JP, JPN, or IJ.

Thank you.

Osamu Ida
aka
Flying Dutchman

Absolutely, wilco mate!

Harry James
aka
Saburo Sakai
"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2003, 03:59:28 PM »
Originally posted by AGJV44_Rot 1
Call me a redneck southerner as well hell I don't care.  

I love grits
(girls raised in the south)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2003, 03:59:54 PM »
Originally posted by poopster
My associate at work is named Yamamoto and mother survived Hiroshima. Delightfull lady of the "old" world.

We've all been together for years. He doesn't take offense in any way to whats being discussed here.

But if you want to see a rise out of him, with a cold hard stare that's all business..

Call him Korean.

Or suggest that Japan was settled about 16,000 years ago by the Koreans.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2003, 04:00:51 PM »
How about "Late for dinner" ??

Damn you rip! You know how to hurt a guy!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2003, 04:17:00 PM »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2003, 04:33:41 PM »
Some 'terms' with historical past, never just 'fades away'.

As long as there are historical tragedies and atrocities, hostilities which have existed once before, there is no choice but to refrain from using terms which touch the past feelings in an unpleasant way.

This is a delicate problem, because as suggested in many other posts, what some one feels as 'derogatory' or 'insulting' greatly differs upon many people and their personal relationships with others involved with such terms.

For instance, some African-Americans shamelessly call upon others as "niggah", but if this term would be used from a white person to a black person, it would suddenly gain place as a severe insult. Likewise, some Japanese may not feel much when their personal friends or two, might refer them as a 'Jap', but to many other people, the term would still be greatly insulting.

In the case FD suggested in the pic, the person who comments such things obviously confuses the current timeline with the past, and brings in his own racial prejudice and ill feelings into the game. While nothing in this world, society can be totally neutral, some things people have to watch out all the more to try and keep it so.

Many people with many different backgrounds, many different relationships and histories, enjoy this game. When someone suddenly decides to bring his real world problems into the game, it becomes distasteful, aggressive, hostile and insulting. We've all seen how the "political discussions" can become ugly in the MA.

While there is no absolute solution to this, frankly the only alternative to prevent such problems is for the people of the community to stop doing/saying it as a whole. Nobody can interfere with how one thinks, or what can be discussed in private. However, in the open one must be extra careful.

Frankly, as an acronym, logically "JP" is one letter shorter than "Jap", and easier to type, without the political problems hanging around it. In this case, it is pretty evident that nobody's gonna lose any sleep because they can't type the extra "A" between the "J" and the "P" ;)

So if someone speaks out in a request that doesn't harm anyone, and rather prevents other forms of harm and sad occasions from happening inside the MA, hey sure, why not? We should respect that.

"Atrocity", no other country has seen and received like mine. Trust me, every child in our country grows up with those stories... and yet it is fortunate that many people thankfully smart enough to tell the difference between "learning from the past" and "counter-prejudice based on the past".

Many Japanese pilots are good of skill and heart, and are respected members of this community. I've met FD from the day I've started AH, and despite whatever lies between in reality, he's a good Japanese friend to many Rooks. It is unfortnate he would have to go through such distasteful considerations, concerning terms that are involved with racial discriminations.

As a friend, I would also greatly appreciate it if the community would respect FD's request.

to FD

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2003, 04:44:30 PM »
Well said FD.

Not asking much of people to refrain from using that term. Some people will be selfish in their childish notions though. Nothing you can do about them.

OK, we could ridicule them, but where's the fun in that?
(please see sig for sarcastic significance)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2003, 06:33:57 PM »
Yup, the only BMW with a gunrack:)

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Batz
a guy driving bmw and a carpeted garage worried about the word "redneck"?

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
It's all semantics
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2003, 06:37:00 PM »
You know... it ain't the WORD... it's the MEANING. In the text buffer you show, I too, would take offense. But if it were some radom person that said "I love jap planes" or something similar, I wouldn't. You know, my best frends call me the worst things, indeed, someone calling you "bastard" when you've shot them down, can actually be a compliment :) Words alone should not be insulting, it is the intent behind them that gives them potency.

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2003, 07:25:34 PM »
The term Redneck came from the union organizing of the 1930's in the coal mines of Kentucky, Tennesee and West Virginia. When the mine owners hired goons to break the strikes, The miners fought back. One of the methods of discerning each other was a red bandana around the neck. So it really isn't derrogatory, some would say it was a compliment. Remember that the next time you feel the need to use the term.

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2003, 10:47:34 PM »
Hey there Dutchman,

Just my two cents worth here...  The screenshot comment you posted was obviously typed by an ignorant fool. WWII is long since over, and although some people might still harbor some animosity towards one race or another, there is no reason for it whatsoever. I'm not a tree hugging liberal who opposes war at all costs. However, I do feel that some people just need to let it go. The japanese are no longer our enemy, and we are no longer theirs.

Just a quick example of my own dilemma here: I am of German descent. My ancestors were born in Germany, and moved to the United States shortly after World War I. My grandmother's brother (my great uncle) who I was very close to, moved to the United States when he was 11 years old. They became citizens of the U.S., and he joined Army Air Corps at age 18. Eventually, he became a B-17 Captain and flew missions from England into Germany. His first mission, and the next 4 missions thereafter were to bomb the town in which he was born in Germany. Although he never admitted it, I'm sure he was torn deeply inside by the fact that he was bombing people who he grew up with. When I asked him about it, he would only say that Hitler had to be stopped at all costs, and he did his small part to stop him.

My point is, I've been called a Kraut due to my last name many times. However, I don't let it bother me because I know the source of it. Some people still harbor hatred, and some people just don't know any better. I, myself, don't refer to the Japanese as Japs because I don't want to appear ignorant. Just remember that some people truly don't understand that it's offensive, and the people who do aren't worth getting upset over.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2003, 11:16:17 PM »
however, I'm still waiting for a politically correct name for Redneck.:mad:

According to Dr. Hibbert, I believe "Sons of the Soil" should be close.

You can take the redneck out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the redneck.

A quick shower might help that.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2003, 03:01:19 AM »
I got massively flamed when I posted this request about a year ago.  I am not Japanese, but I do know the history behind the word.  It is not a nice history.

The guys who think that "Jap" is simply a shortened form of "Japanese" need to read more, or live in a more diverse part of the country.  I live in a part of the country where "Japs" were taken out of their homes, had their businesses taken from them, and were then forcibly interned.

"Jap" was created for the same purpose that "Chink" and "cupcake" were formed.  To use it is just as bad as using the other two.  If you wouldn't use "Chink" or "cupcake", there can be no rationalization for using "Jap".

This is not a "PC" issue, it is a politness and respect issue.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-