Author Topic: Thoughts on why Christianity is fake  (Read 2731 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Thoughts on why Christianity is fake
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2003, 05:12:41 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
Acceptance is not truth. :)

Yes, but can we not look up into the sky and see its blue?  Physical proof that is blue, seeing is believing.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2003, 05:15:21 PM »
Bingo.

This is why I'm an atheist. :)
sand

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2003, 05:17:36 PM »
Takes as much faith to be an atheist as it does a christian Sandman. Sure you're not rather an agnostic?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2003, 05:19:04 PM »
I've always looked at agnostics as people that are afraid to commit.

If there is a hell, I'll know why I'm there. :D (an added bonus will be seeing the surprised expressions on the faces of my friends.)
sand

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2003, 05:23:42 PM »
If you're interested in some fiction regarding what hell might be like I recommend "The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis. I enjoyed it.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2003, 05:32:39 PM »
Yes, but you would argue that the evidence leans torward an accidental existence, while I would argue that the evidence undeniably leans toward a divine creation.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2003, 05:40:11 PM »
Originally posted by -ammo-
Yes, but you would argue that the evidence leans torward an accidental existence, while I would argue that the evidence undeniably leans toward a divine creation.

Ya know.. I don't see any evidence either way. Certainly, when it comes to creation theory and the beginning of everything, we know little enough that there very well could be a supreme being that started it all.

Still... if there is such a being, I see no evidence of it today nor do I get the impression that this supreme being is concerned with the day to day operations on this insignificant blue-green planet.
sand

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2003, 05:47:23 PM »
You didn't offend me, thanks for being considerate though.

I guess what ticks me off is the way many believers act like they really knew something in which they simply believe but which can't possibly be proven in any way. If you know what I mean :)

I really don't know if man ever visited space or the moon nor can I prove it with the material I have at hand. But based on what I've seen in the media I believe in it even though it seems quite wild.

Probably if I'd witness a launch myself it would be much easyer to believe that I know men were launched to space.

When you start to question the simple things like this, all the 'higher' things really start smashing you in the face. Soon you realise that you can not really count on anything except your own reasoning - and even then you're likely to get things very wrong.

It's not an easy way to go, defining the existence to yourself instead of clinging to pre-made explanations.. But I'm sure it has created a lot more moral debate and evaluation of values to me than it does in an average believer. My stance for example is that since no deity (IMO) created humans over the rest of the animal kingdom, all animals have a similar right to exist on this planet alongside of humans. I have no special right to smash a housefly to the window, but I have no obligation not to do it either. If I feel it necessary I can do it. Just as I can kill a bigger animal if I get threatened by it. By my moral however, it's dead wrong to hunt animals for fun. When I see sport hunters, I get an urge to pull the trigger on them.

By rules of nature co-existing animals are often natural enemies to eachothers. Therefore it's natural for me to destroy the insects that potentially harm my existence. One shouldn't go to extremes however since that affects the foodchains and the natural balance. Human kind is a danger to this planet because it's the only one that has the ability to render other species extinct. We have to reckognize our responsibility.. The teachings of the bible certainly do not help in this matter.

I guess I went a little off-track here.. But maybe that clarifies the issues behind the way I think. If one doesn't care why we're here, it doesn't mean that they won't care in general.. I'm focusing to the present instead of wasting my resources pondering about what happened billions of years ago. It doesn't touch my life in any way whatsoever.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2003, 05:55:03 PM »
Sending His Son to die for mankind is showing no interest?  

I consider things that are taken for granted by most people and I see the evidence of God's hand.

Take  the human body for example.  I don't believe that such a complex fleshly precision machine could evolve from an accident.   The seasons themselves are evidence of a Creator.  Just the way a Christian sees things

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2003, 05:57:37 PM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
If one doesn't care why we're here, it doesn't mean that they won't care in general.. I'm focusing to the present instead of wasting my resources pondering about what happened billions of years ago. It doesn't touch my life in any way whatsoever.

Though I don't share all your convictions, I can respect your position. I will disagree about the past not touching your life however.

Offline Nomde

• Nickel Member
      • Web Master
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2003, 06:43:34 PM »
I think we've made everything so complicated, no-one can see the obvious.

You want proof of the existance of God? Breath

We exist, therefor we are. Don't complicate the matter by asking for a "sign". The very act of our conciousness questioning existance is the greatest "sign" anyone could expect.
The elements in our body which have been created through the process of countless suns exploding making heavier elements, is the act of God as nature. We are in effect, created from the dust of the earth, literally.
A few wise prophets tried to explain our existance in the only way they could, as they understood at the time. To literally read into the bible word for word, is to misunderstand the spirit of it's creation.
As was stated earlier, "man is the only variable", hits it right on the head. Nature has not changed, only our understanding of it and I would lay my money on Nature/God anyday over man. Never has there been a more cruel or Loving creation in nature then that of man, and it has all been of his own choosing.

Choice, the freedom of thought and action is yours. Do with it as you will. I, for one, choose to live with my concience and neighbor.

Nomde
56th Fighter Group "Zemke's Wolfpack"
nomde@56fg.net

Offline kbman

• Copper Member
One more time, with feeling...
« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2003, 06:45:35 PM »
Whenever one attempts to argue matters of faith through logic and intellectual devices one makes the fundamental error of placing Descartes before de horse. And we all know common sense tells us that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him think. ;)

kbman

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2003, 01:19:31 PM »
Originally posted by -ammo-
Sending His Son to die for mankind is showing no interest?  

It's a nice story. Certainly, there is enough evidence to show that there was indeed a person called Jesus Christ. There is no proof that he was anything more than the son of an ordinary man.

No, the Bible is not proof.
sand

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2003, 01:31:31 PM »
Yes it is a nice "story", and it rebutts your statement Still... if there is such a being, I see no evidence of it today nor do I get the impression that this supreme being is concerned with the day to day operations on this insignificant blue-green planet.

Whether you believe it or not, I was just replying to that statement.  Certainly if you sacrificed something that you love dearly (whether it be your son, daughter, car, house:D) for someone that did not deserve it, maybe a convicted murderer heading for execution,  the world would believe that you cared.

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2003, 02:02:43 PM »
Reasons I quit beeing a christian 12 years ago;

1. They`re trying to sell (do as we say) me something I can`t verify to exist (eternal life)

2. They want my absolute, obedescient well obedience. Sworn when first born, as a immature, and as a immature yet again.

3. They preach peace and giving to the poor, while they amass fortunes and wage war. (Think Crusades, the catholic church in WW2-Germany etc etc)