Author Topic: Runwulfs  (Read 1162 times)

Offline TimRas

• Nickel Member
Runwulfs
« on: February 18, 2003, 01:03:08 AM »
Why the P-51's are called 'Runstangs' ? I have played this immersive game now about week, and so far have not met a single P-51 who has declined to fight. But I have now seen twice a Fw-190 who simply fled. First I tried to chase Wulf with Niki about 10-15 mins, both about same alt, but he just evaded :mad:
Second time I was tailchasing (probably) D-9 on the deck with La-7 about 15mins. He managed to keep same distance (even with WEP on) until I ran out of fuel.
I think this is a great game of fly and fight. Are some people content with just flying and enjoying the scenery ? :confused:

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 01:14:51 AM »
Many pilots are content living long enough to enjoy the scenery.  No point in fighting a fight you won't win.

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
Runwulfs
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 01:18:44 AM »
It takes alot of experience in a virtual Fw 190 (any kind) to have the confidence to reverse on something like a N1K or La-7 that is chasing you. It takes a long time to get the feel of a virtual Fw 190 'down enough' to where you can fly at the edge of stall thru several maneuvers without spinning out, stalling, etc.

So, in short, be prepared to not have Fw 190s reverse into a 1 on 1 vs. your La-7 or N1K some times. They don't reverse because they think they will get shot down (they are probably right in most cases). The other thing to think about - were you alone? Or were you chasing them with 3 or 4 'friendlies' 1000-3000 above and behind you.

You've played a week. At a certain point everyone decides to see how well they can land their kills for awhile (nothing wrong with just fighting I was that way for a long time, and still am depending upon my mood).

Mike/wulfie

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Runwulfs
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2003, 01:24:04 AM »
Originally posted by TimRas
Why the P-51's are called 'Runstangs' ? I have played this immersive game now about week, and so far have not met a single P-51 who has declined to fight. But I have now seen twice a Fw-190 who simply fled.  

please use appropriate terminology when referring to hunstangs, aka run90's.

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2003, 01:53:00 AM »
After admitting to flying an la7, your right to complain about people running has been revoked.  Please move along.

Offline TimRas

• Nickel Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2003, 01:56:55 AM »
In both cases it was pure one-on-one, no friendlies or enemies anywhere in sight.  At least in the first case he could have used BnZ tactics quite safely ( I certainly would have tried that in his place). And in the second case the guy at least had ammo, trying to strafe my chute after I bailed when run out of gas.

Offline Lazerus1

• Nickel Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2003, 02:27:00 AM »
WTG 190 :D

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Runwulfs
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2003, 04:19:12 AM »
Originally posted by Innominate
After admitting to flying an la7, your right to complain about people running has been revoked.  Please move along.

And a niki. Fly a 190 and then talk.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2003, 04:28:15 AM »
You chose to fly a slow TnB plane - this is the price you have to pay.
Frustrating the spitV/zekes/niks is a great joy :)

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Runwulfs
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2003, 05:11:32 AM »
The La-7 is not a slow TnB plane. It's a high speed BnZer in my experience.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2003, 06:12:06 AM »
Second time I was tailchasing (probably) D-9 on the deck with La-7 about 15mins. He managed to keep same distance (even with WEP on) until I ran out of fuel.

Mmm. Sounds familiar... Is your handle wcmd by any chance?

Gatso

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2003, 06:16:11 AM »
Why the P-51's are called 'Runstangs' ? I have played this immersive game now about week, and so far have not met a single P-51 who has declined to fight. But I have now seen twice a Fw-190 who simply fled. First I tried to chase Wulf with Niki about 10-15 mins, both about same alt, but he just evaded :mad:
I think this is a great game of fly and fight. Are some people content with just flying and enjoying the scenery ? :confused:

You'll find a lot of players that just run in the P-51, even when they hold the advantage, either in altitude or energy, just like you'll see a lot do the same in the La7 and Focke-Wulf.

I personally think the runners are a bunch of skill-less dweebs with no balls.  It's not that I expect an E fighter to turn with my P-38, it's that I just expect the eunich in the running plane to fight period, especially if they have the advantage.  Nothing makes me poke more fun at anyone than seeing some dweeb with an advantage grow timid and run.

Ack-Ack

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2003, 06:37:47 AM »
In both cases it was pure one-on-one, no friendlies or enemies anywhere in sight.  At least in the first case he could have used BnZ tactics quite safely ( I certainly would have tried that in his place). And in the second case the guy at least had ammo, trying to strafe my chute after I bailed when run out of gas.

YOU fly the 190 then come back with your report.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Runwulfs
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2003, 02:39:34 PM »
Originally posted by wulfie
It takes alot of experience in a virtual Fw 190 (any kind) to have the confidence to reverse on something like a N1K or La-7 that is chasing you. It takes a long time to get the feel of a virtual Fw 190 'down enough' to where you can fly at the edge of stall thru several maneuvers without spinning out, stalling, etc.

Its not so hard.  I just grab an A8 and kill'em with an HO at the first merge.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Runwulfs
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2003, 03:16:25 PM »
Its kinda funny how people that labeled the P-51 as a "runstangs" can so easily justify the same strategy in a 190.

-Dive on engaged target
-Egress
-Climb
-Repeat

Note.. the climbing and the diving are optional.  Sometimes you just fly really fast on the deck, below ack, and straff the runway.

One day, I hung out over a base that was under attack for some time.  I'd wait for a 190 to come in flying down the runway and then try to egress... I'd dive on him with an F6F-5.  I killed the same pilot 7 times in a row... always as he straffed the runway.  That pilot is in the top 10 of all-time kills in a 190.

MiniD