Author Topic: Corsair Hvy off a CV? Help!  (Read 1214 times)

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
Corsair Hvy off a CV? Help!
« on: March 02, 2003, 11:36:56 AM »
Hiyas,

Ok what's the secret for getting a Corsair off the CV's?  I am only able to do it with  500's and Rocks, 75% or any combination of lesser weight?  Even then it's a strech and a worry and successful about 60% of the time.

I am currently using 3 clicks Flaps.  Start Engine, Hold brake, run her up full add WEP and give it a go!

Thanks for any input, info, or help!

Dracon

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 12:24:52 PM »
What I do to get a fully loaded Corsair (1000lb bombs, rockets and 100% fuel) is to lower my flaps completely then during the run up the flight deck get a little forward pressure on the joystick going to get the tailwheel up as quickly as possible.  Getting the plane into a two point attitude will help your acceleration.  You will still more drop off the end of the deck rather than fly but if you work the stick gently enough you can keep yourself out of the water.  It's close and tough but it is possible.    

P.S.  sometimes I will cheat a little and add some elevator trim prior to rolling forward.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 12:25:18 PM »
There are a couple of commonly used tricks to help out with a heavy corsair:

- roll the aircraft backwards.  Open the throttle just enough to disengage the brakes and let the airplane be pushed backwards by the wind.  It takes a little practice to do this.  Back up to near the end of the deck to give a longer run.

- when you throttle up, either hold on the brakes, or, put your hook down.  This holds u in place while your engine spools up to full power.  Then release and roll.

-pre-trim to counter the roll of full power when you leave the deck.

-Soda

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2003, 12:48:27 PM »
It`s difficult, but I manage the takeoff about 3 of 4 times:

- Start engine, and use WEP the moment it`s up to revs;

- rolling on the deck, punch flaps one by one till full deflection as you leave the deck; use only a slight bit of rudder to keep her in line;

- as soon as you leave the deck, raise gear and /gently/ pull back on the stick; ride her on the edge of the stall till you`re flying level.

Then /gradually/ retract flaps and go into climb.

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2003, 01:20:47 PM »
WOW!  Thanks to all!

Soda roll backwards?  LOL too cool.  I have to give this a try for sure:)
Dracon

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2003, 02:30:55 PM »
ifluff'n you don't roll backwards, here is how to get the hog up fully loaded, and boy is it a trick...two hand coordination for sure.
1- hammer throttle
2- wep on
3- as you are rolling, put in full flaps, not before you start rolling
4- AS SOON as your plane is off the deck put the gear up
5- now the fun part, ease the nose up to keep out of the drink, you will be almost in the water! The plane will want to roll to one side, don't be heavy handed, just enough control to keep level.
6- start bringing in your flaps
7- dont forget to turn off your wep

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2003, 02:50:18 PM »
the secret of rolling backwards on the CV is drag.
pull out full flaps and pull the stick to "catch" as much wind as possible. add just a little throttle to release the auto-breaks and you'll be going backwards pretty fast.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline FBfalcon

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.freebirdshome.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2003, 06:42:32 PM »
AH im glad u asked!! I Made a film of how its done for my squaddies using an F4U-D loaded w/ 100% fuel 8 rockets and 2-1k bombs. :D
PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL and i will mail u the zip file film of it w/ a description of what to pay special attention too. :cool: wwiiace@aol.com   and this way you dont need to waste time or deaths rolling off cv :) My method works for me 100% of the time and even in some cases when the cv is turning. <> and PLEASE WRITE I would love to send you the film :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2003, 06:47:39 PM by FBfalcon »

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2003, 06:49:51 PM »
It's not really all that hard, just takes a bit of practice.  You dont even need any tricks like wep, or dropping your flaps after you start rolling.

Drop flaps all the way, roll at full throttle(wep doesnt seem to help much).  When you leave the deck, IMMEDIATLY raise your gear.  Now the plane will be a brick, just keep the nose slightly up on the edge of the stall, as you pick up a bit of speed level out and raise flaps.

With a bit of practice it can be done every time without fail.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2003, 10:26:17 PM »
Personally I ask the CAG to have the Skipper speed the durn CV up. Why are they goin so slow anyway?

:D

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2003, 02:44:39 AM »
We wouldn't have this trouble if the carrier was orientated into the wind as the real ones were. Plus if I remember correctly Corairs were catapulted off later in the war. They needed that push.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2003, 03:59:12 AM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
We wouldn't have this trouble if the carrier was orientated into the wind as the real ones were. Plus if I remember correctly Corairs were catapulted off later in the war. They needed that push.

What wind?  There is no wind in the MA below 16k.   And the CV is moving in the same direction you're taking off in.

Offline FBfalcon

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.freebirdshome.com
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2003, 09:07:00 AM »
Well i just made a film of f4u 100% 8-rockets 2k complete w/ voice instructions on what im doing when im doing it as i take off for recruit training purposes :D .
Anyone who would like me to send them the file can email me by clicking here -> wwiiace@aol.com PS i can send it zipped or standard just email me w/ which you would prefer.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2003, 09:21:06 AM »
Originally posted by Innominate
What wind?  There is no wind in the MA below 16k.   And the CV is moving in the same direction you're taking off in.

Ok why 16K not 15k or 17k? Why have a wind at all then?  A wind at sea level would certainly help taking off from a carrier as it did in real life (and landing) plus it would  help get those heavy bombers off the ground on an airfield. Plus it's fun to practice those crosswind landings.  Put up  windsocks at the end of runways!

No wonder the poor Corsair struggles to take off from CV's

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2003, 09:45:20 AM »
cpxxx,

As much as I'd like to see crosswind landings it would be difficult for new guys and those without rudders to handle a 15 knot crosswind. Since there are no crosswind landings on a cv what works nicely for the few, on land, may not for the masses.

Hmmm, weren't crosswind landings a problem on the ercoupe? The plane that was supposed to be for the unwashed masses? Errrrr, the driving public? :)