Author Topic: Aircraft getting shot under load. Structural failure?  (Read 415 times)

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
Aircraft getting shot under load. Structural failure?
« on: March 11, 2003, 04:17:51 PM »
Hi all,

Ive been wondering something for a while. Im not sure if I am imagining or not.

Has anyone else thought they noticed that if you catch an enemy aircraft manouveing under high G... ie starting a loop or hard turn, a hit them, they fall to pices easier than if they were flying straight an level?

To me it looks like that if their wing is hit under high load, it fails far easier for less damage?

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
Re: Aircraft getting shot under load. Structural failure?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2003, 05:04:28 PM »
Originally posted by brendo

Has anyone else thought they noticed that if you catch an enemy aircraft manouveing under high G... ie starting a loop or hard turn, a hit them, they fall to pices easier than if they were flying straight an level?

I doubt it.  

What is more likely is that when your target is doing a hard turn he is exposing more of the surface of his plane to you, so you are landing more hits than if you were just shooting at his tail.  Also, such shots tend to occur at close range, and a hard turning plane is usually going slow.

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 05:25:00 PM »
Have seen this many many time's The one I see the most is you hit a bog hard in the wing root but nothing comes off. A few seconds later while under the most g load the wing comes off. Allso see this a lot with tail planes. At least I do anyways.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2003, 05:47:38 PM »
Yep I see it happen both ways as you describe it and again as Ice describes it. It has happened to me where a guy gets hits on my wing and I fall out of the sky.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 01:14:52 PM »
Originally posted by icemaw
Have seen this many many time's The one I see the most is you hit a bog hard in the wing root but nothing comes off. A few seconds later while under the most g load the wing comes off. Allso see this a lot with tail planes. At least I do anyways.

I think that's lag.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 01:17:48 PM »
Originally posted by icemaw

You hear pings. Ouch, quick, break hard.

Other side seems him taking hits, then breaking hard. Just at the same time damage is transmitted back to the shooter...

Though it sure would be cool if planes with lots of holes in them could sustain fewer Gs.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 02:51:50 PM »
I've been in a hard turn in a P-38, taken a hit, and the plane seemed to recoil from the impact.

I've also knocked GVs askew with Panzer shells.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 07:19:35 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
I've been in a hard turn in a P-38, taken a hit, and the plane seemed to recoil from the impact.

I've also knocked GVs askew with Panzer shells.

Would be cool if bombs could do that :)