Author Topic: Unfair engine mute "cheat"  (Read 2360 times)

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
Unfair engine mute "cheat"
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2003, 05:18:29 PM »
Originally posted by Grimm
Another thing...
Have you ever operated Heavy equipment with ear protection on?   One thing that happens is all the white noises of your engine and machine are muffled.   BUT you can hear other noises more clear.    Guys here a work will put on ear protection in the loaders and things because its easier to listen to music on the radio.  

hehe you dont have a clue about that that methinks
only way they could hear a radio was if it was in thier earsets

rofl

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2003, 05:30:59 PM »
Let's see... I have absolutely no peripheral vision so I've compensated by increasing my hearing ability.

This is "gaming the game?"

Gimme a break.
sand

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2003, 05:33:23 PM »
if they didn't want you messin' with the controls they wouldn't be there...

just like wome.. nevermind ;)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Unfair engine mute "cheat"
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2003, 05:42:58 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
If you're relying on muted engine sounds to supplement for actual situational awareness, you suck anyway and will die often.

-- Todd/Leviathn

LOL!  You never cease to crack me up with your brutal truths:)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Unfair engine mute "cheat"
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2003, 05:56:49 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I've been doing a lot of 109 flying lately, discussed in this thread. The techniques used are rather different from those of the P47, for example. Stealth is the key! Often the way to get a kill is to zoom up behind the bogie in his low 6. But on at least four occasions in the past few days, the bogie has made a break turn just as I was getting within range to take a shot, at a time when he had no friendlies that could have given him a 6-call.  

And now I know how he does it. In the SOUND options within Set Up, he has his own engine sound muted to barely a whisper. That way he can HEAR a bogie as it gets dangerously close.  Clearly this is a game-the-game wheeze. The real pilots of WW2 did not have the option of muting their engines. When the 109 is chasing a P51, it can take longer to catch up owing the the P51's speed. This means that the 109 will be lingering in his low 6 for many seconds. If the P51 has his engine muted, this gives him an unfair advantage.

If the game is going to allow the muting of engines, then the engine sounds of ALL planes/vehicles should also be muted - cons, friendlies and his own alike. There is no way the pilot of a real WW2 plane could have heard the engine sound of an enemy 400+ yards behind him.

This is no different than guys that turn off and on their engines in a fight hblair and is just another example of 'gaming the game'.  A dweeb move?  For sure.  Cheating?  Nope.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2003, 07:47:43 PM »
Originally posted by X2Lee
hehe you dont have a clue about that that methinks
only way they could hear a radio was if it was in thier earsets

rofl

Didnt really understand that sentence... But I think it means you dont agree or think its possible.

Try it sometime...   Truth is it does work.  Iv done many, many times.   often with loud machinery without ear protection you cant hear much but the noise of the machine,   But put some on and you can make out different sounds.  

Now I dont know if that would hold true for A/C in a dogfight,  I was just wondering...  

As for me not having a Clue...  well,  perhaps you could relpy without being insulting.   It would be nice...

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2003, 08:01:39 PM »
Things might change if having to hear your engines were something important. Sorry for bringing IL-2:FB features up here ;), but in that game, you really have to listen to the state of your engine to judge if there's something wrong with it or not.

There are separate console messages such as 'overheat' or 'fuel leak', but most of the problems concerning engine performance - such as the problems of degradation,  damage, performance loss or failure, due to incorrect management , needs the pilot to listen to the engine carefully.

I remember engaging the MW50 injectors in the wrong fashion with a Bf109G-10, during takeoff. After a few minutes, though my engine didn't sound really bad, but there was this irrecoverable feeling that something just was not normal - the pitch of the engine hum was a lil' bit different.. and gave me an uncomfortable feeling.

Well, well.. during the sortie I found out my engine was screwed, and it wasn't giving me enough peformance as it should ;)

If engine management ever becomes an issue in AH, no pilot would want to tone down their engine sound ;)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2003, 09:17:25 PM »
The wholesale paranoia about the "engine kill dweebs" is still alive and well I see. ;)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2003, 10:22:49 PM »
Originally posted by ASASIN
38 might be diff because views tough.  But you can bet if its a halfway good player he watches dar and his 6.

If you adjust your head position upwards and a little to the left and zoom it in a little, you can almost a complete view of your rear area in the P-38.  The horizontal and vertical stabilizers get in the way a little bit.

ack-ack

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2003, 05:35:10 AM »
ooh!  Lots of responses. I didn't think so many people read my posts! :D;) Oh well, if it's not considered a cheat, I shall be sure to do it myself from now on. As DJ111 said to me a few days ago, as he upped in an LA7, "sometimes you have to be a dweeb to beat a dweeb!".

I actually heard about this engine volume trick when I was talking to someone on voxx, and he advised me that he keeps his own engine sound low for that very reason. Very gamey, but if that's what people want... :rolleyes:
Originally posted by J_A_B
Beet1e, I think it's far more likely that these guys just see you comming.  It's not terribly hard to check the low-6 position.  

Listening for sound would make for a lousy warning device because it doesn't differentiate between friend or foe, and kicks in at too short of a range.

OTOH, it makes sense to tie external engine volume to internal engine volume as Todd/DMF suggested.

J_A_B
J_A_B  I went offline to test all this out. With my own engine sound set very low, the sound of the orbiting P51s is audible up to a range of 1.3, at which point it cuts out abruptly.

In the cases I mentioned, I don't think the con had seen me creeping up. I had got well within range of being able to do serious damage, but in the 109-Hartmann tradition was trying for one of those 150 yard shots! I could have opened up at 400 yards, but without the gondolas the 109G10 is not a spray and pray plane.

Hehe, it's pretty easy to see that within this thread at least, the "Clamouring for More Realism" lobby is heavily outnumbered by the "New Tricks for Gaming the Game" crowd. :eek:;);):D

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2003, 05:49:08 AM »
The funny thing is i beheave the same. I wait and stand still untill i an figure out what tactic the other pilot will use. The surprise is bigger for him when i evade in the lat second.
Often i can scare him and turn into his turn.
And i have my engine volume not to low.

Did u ever think about that he is tracking u since a while. Just waiting patiently to see what u going to do ?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2003, 05:52:17 AM by fffreeze220 »
Freeze

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2003, 07:25:23 AM »
Freeze thats usually a no no for me who wants to sit still when someone cames in and starts spraying their Hispanos and 50s at d 1.2  then Ping! off goes wing.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2003, 09:58:17 AM »
Originally posted by Flossy
ROFL!  I've always used very low volume engine sounds since first starting in AW.... helps to hear vox - as well as enemy (and friendly!) planes.  :D

Same here.... well that is to say I never played AW much, but my  AH Engine volume has been turned way down since before you could even hear other airplanes in the game (version 1.08 or 09 or something is when HTC developed engine sounds other than your own)... this helps with Vox .. hearing the wind... and just being able to listen to tunes without an overpowering whirl of engine sounds.

And i've been saved by hearing other cons 'sneak up'(sound kicks in just before 1k [ If you ever fly with a wingman you should know this easy to hear - if you sound system isn't crap ])
My SA is VERY good .. by saved I mean I was up getting a beer, or turned around from screen talking to freind etc. etc... "Hey that doesn't sound like a p38's engines!" i think and then i look just in time.

If you find that gamey .. kiss me grits ... Full volume engine sounds are beyond annoying to me after years of play in AH. I start noticeing every part of the sound loop if it's turned up loud.  Sounds like rave music (techno) when you notice the rythem of the loop. Damn annoying.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2003, 12:05:26 PM »
Originally posted by Grimm
Try it sometime...   Truth is it does work.  Iv done many, many times.   often with loud machinery without ear protection you cant hear much but the noise of the machine,   But put some on and you can make out different sounds.
Yep it's true.  Zeb has some ear protection which was specially made for him, and apparently they filter out certain sounds (frequencies?) so that others can still be heard.  Noisy machinery sound is muffled, but he can still hear people talking.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2003, 02:04:55 PM »
Yeah even them yellow sponge things work well like that Flossy.

A headset type thing though usually muffles everything much more though.

SKurj