Author Topic: Slaughter at the Bridge of Death  (Read 4025 times)

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Slaughter at the Bridge of Death
« on: March 31, 2003, 01:51:58 PM »
"We raced along ambush alley at full speed, close to a line of houses. "My driver got hit," said one of the marines who joined us, his face and uniform caked in mud. "I went to try to help him when he got hit by another RPG or a mortar. I don't even know how many friends I have lost. I don't care if they nuke that bloody city now. From one house they were waving while shooting at us with AKs from the next. It was insane."

Excellent first person account.

http://www.counterpunch.org/franchetti03312003.html

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 01:54:31 PM »
ah, but how many will believe it..
seems like a lot of people just don't want to hear it :(
they only want the 'good' reports from the field

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 02:05:01 PM »
From the same article:

--Bad news filtered back. Earlier that morning a US Army convoy had been greeted by a group of Iraqis dressed in civilian clothes, apparently wanting to surrender. When the American soldiers stopped, the Iraqis pulled out AK-47s and sprayed the US trucks with gunfire.--

People that resort to this are making it very difficult for their own civilians and soldiers to survive. Of course that is one of their reasons for doing so. That Saddam and his ilk care nothing for the people of Iraq should come as no surprise. Let the blame for unecessary casualties rest where deserved.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 02:22:58 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
You may lay the blame anywhere you want AKIron, but the fact remains; the Iraqi people will not see you as liberators when you litter the landscape with dead civilians. Saddam and his bunch is forcing your hand ... and winning the "hearts and mind" war.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=564&e=25&u=/nm/20030331/ts_nm/iraq_shatra_dc_2

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 02:29:53 PM »
In that town you won. Wtg!

DOH!  Is that egg on your face?

Offline blitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2003, 02:31:02 PM »
This is exactly why i'm against this war.

Wrong, analysis by politicians "This will be a cakewalk" " They will cheer for as as we are the liberators"

Iraq civilans see their babies die and want revenge supporting guerillatactics against the "Agressors".

American boys seeing their friends die, hate factor kicks in, they kill more civilians because it's hard to distinguisch between civilians and fighters in a guerilla war, more civilians supporting a regime they hate, americans killing more civillians.......  :(

Reminds me of Vietnam.

Bloody, wrong war, i hate it .

Regards Blitz

America was threatened by Iraq in no way, it was just plain ridiculous.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2003, 02:31:42 PM »
In that town you won. Wtg!

I don't think you understand. The purpose of this campaign isn't to win anyone's heart or mind. It is rather to eliminate a real and sizeable threat. That many will see it as liberation is a side benefit.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2003, 02:32:12 PM »
OMG I'm shocked!  It's almost like they're having a war or something!

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2003, 02:33:35 PM »
Let the blame for unecessary casualties rest where deserved.

I was very sad after reading the article, I feel much more now that I've read your reply Iron:(
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2003, 02:34:40 PM »
I think the people are still terrified of saddam and his gang. He has held that country hostage for 40 years and has raped and dehumanized the people with his security forces who are still around. In fact I dont think this is too dissimilar to how the kidnapped girl elizabeth smart reacted to police when they found her after 9 months, she tried to lie and stay with her kidnapers who even sexually abused her and made ger live on the streets and under bridges instead of returning to her family and million dollar luxury home. Give them time.

And frankly there will be tens of thousands who plainly like saddam and benefit from him or will be killed after the war by their victims who now wanna fight very very much.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2003, 02:36:28 PM »
Originally posted by blitz
This is exactly why i'm against this war.

Wrong, analysis by politicians "This will be a cakewalk" " They will cheer for as as we are the liberators"

Iraq civilans see their babies die and want revenge supporting guerillatactics against the "Agressors".

American boys seeing their friends die, hate factor kicks in, they kill more civilians because it's hard to distinguisch between civilians and fighters in a guerilla war, more civilians supporting a regime they hate, americans killing more civillians.......  :(

Reminds me of Vietnam.

Bloody, wrong war, i hate it .

Regards Blitz

As Bush said today.  We aren't going to let terrorists, nations that support terrorists, or nation's with the predisposition to arm terrorists exist.

You don't have to help us.  You don't even have to like it.  You can jump around and wave your signs, telling us how horrible we are.  All the while enjoying the freedom that we provide.  We don't care.  Seriously.  We could really give a crap less what you think.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2003, 02:48:49 PM »
Originally posted by stegor
I was very sad after reading the article, I feel much more now that I've read your reply Iron:(

If I'm understanding you correctly then I'm somehow caloused for blaming Saddam for killing his own people. Are you blaming me and/or the US for pushing Saddam to this?

If so, then perhaps you feel the US is responsible for the millions of deaths in WWII that might not have occured had we let Hitler and Tojo run their course unopposed.

Am I reading this right?

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2003, 02:48:58 PM »
dont include me in your "we" pinhead

Offline blitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2003, 02:50:34 PM »
Originally posted by Martlet
As Bush said today.  We aren't going to let terrorists, nations that support terrorists, or nation's with the predisposition to arm terrorists exist.

You don't have to help us.  You don't even have to like it.  You can jump around and wave your signs, telling us how horrible we are.  All the while enjoying the freedom that we provide.  We don't care.  Seriously.  We could really give a crap less what you think.

Sure ya government can give a crap what I think, but it better SHOULD care what the Pope, the churches, The UN, old friends and the majority of people on this planet has to say them.

THEY ARE AGAINST THIS BLOODY WAR AND WANT YOUR GOVERNMENT TO STOP THAT CRAP!

Regards Blitz

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2003, 02:51:05 PM »
Originally posted by lord dolf vader
dont include me in your "we" pinhead

I doubt there's more than a handful here that would want to be included in a "we" with you.