Author Topic: Joy stick woes  (Read 1845 times)

Offline AcesGun

• Zinc Member
Re: Joy stick woes
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2003, 12:09:20 AM »
Originally posted by _Schadenfreude_
Hi all......am seriously thinking of emmigrating from FA3.5 over to
Aces High and have downloaded and started tinkering offline.

You wont regrete it,  FA3.5 isnt a bad game but once you get stuck into Aces High you will wonder why you didnt change over sooner.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2003, 03:41:20 AM »
hehe got into the air for the first time and nailed a Bishops Spit in a La7 last night.

Couple of questions though...

1. Are external views available in the main room.

2. Can one change the amount of info available on tags - ie nicks
    instead of a/c details

3. Is a tagless environment available and if so does anyone fly in
    it - ie no range tag.

FA3's big problem is they cater to the arcade players (called the crayon room by subversives) their advancded flight models are great but when you log on there's like 4 people in advanced and the rest like the relaxed physics with no stalls.

Got to the point where it was just irritating more than fun so have begun shopping around.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2003, 03:50:38 AM »
1 No  external view in the Main except for bomber (to simulate all the extra crew)
2 with alt-i you can cycle through icon seting (I'm unsure it will answer you questio)
3 alt-I again

No crayon room here :)

have a look to http://www.netaces.org

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2003, 12:59:18 PM »

1. Are external views available in the main room.

2. Can one change the amount of info available on tags - ie nicks
    instead of a/c details

3. Is a tagless environment available and if so does anyone fly in
    it - ie no range tag.

1.  No, only for bombers.  Someone creating a custom head to head room could enable it for all planes though.

2.  You can't see the 'nicks' or handles of the enemies.

3.  The Combat Theater arena and special events usually have shorter range distance range for 'tags' or icons, but there are not arenas that  have no icons.

Some random tips.
-Set your views by using the arrow keys and pg up/pg down keys, and saving the view with F10.  This will give you a decent '6' view.  
-Make sure the stall limiter (clipboard/settings/flight) is turned off

As someone said, check out http://www.netaces.org

Welcome to AH

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2003, 04:21:04 PM »
Hey Eagler, you get rid of your X45?  I just picked one of those up and have been reading your tips on how to configure it properly.  Did you ever get used to using the rudder on the throttle lever?  If I can get the rotating knobs and mouse pointer working, it will all be worth it whether I get used to the rudder or not.  Next product for me is CH Peddles.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2003, 05:40:50 PM »
Originally posted by tracerx
Hey Eagler, you get rid of your X45?  I just picked one of those up and have been reading your tips on how to configure it properly.  Did you ever get used to using the rudder on the throttle lever?  If I can get the rotating knobs and mouse pointer working, it will all be worth it whether I get used to the rudder or not.  Next product for me is CH Peddles.

still have the X45 combo with ch pro peds

my rotors work - go to X45  for a profile = cept you'll have to set the rudder back to the throttle
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2003, 06:58:11 AM »
Managed to get stick and views working - thanks for the help - could someone explain how padlock works in AH - my sa is lousy at the moment.

Previous padlocks would padlock onto nme or friendly in range and then you could cycle through the various pads to obtain a sa picture.

Do I have to first have sight of a bandit or friendly to padlock?

Pointers would be appreciated.

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2003, 08:06:18 AM »
I hate Padlock myself, tho I know a number of folks who swear by it. I think it limits your view too much.... I have enough trouble with "target fixation" as it is !  :D

To use it....these are the default settings.... F11 will put you in the "mode" hit F11 when you have the "icon" you want to lock on in view. will center the icon, will cycle thru the targets, and will toggle friendlies on and off.

If you have trouble with SA, this won't help, but it will make it easier to "ignore" other cons as they enter your range  :) Not being a "super Ace" like some of these other guys you can take my opinion with a grain of salt ;) , I think getting use to checking your views every 3 seconds...even in a fight would be a great way to fly.... especially in the main arena! Heck it only took me a year to finally turn off tracers!!!  LOL!!! hit percentage is up 2X LOL!!

Maddog Joe

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2003, 02:44:00 PM »

Previous padlocks would padlock onto nme or friendly in range and then you could cycle through the various pads to obtain a sa picture.

Do I have to first have sight of a bandit or friendly to padlock?

Pointers would be appreciated.

You need to have sight of a bandit or friendly to padlock it.  AH padlock does not find planes for you, keep track of more than one plane at a time, and will break off if your view of the target becomes obscured.

I don't use AH padlock and I suspect that around 0% of the top pilots here use it.

Things you can do to help your SA:
1.  Adjust your views with the arrow keys and pg up, pg down, save your adjusted views with F10.  This will give you a decent 6 view in most fighters.
2.  If you have an extra button, set a key to 'forward view' or 8.  With this button pressed, adjust the view as above.  Now you have an alternate forward view to peek around the cockpit frame.
3.  Set the engine sound for other planes louder than your plane.
4.  If radar is working, use ins and del to zoom in the map close and look at dots, but remember that at low alt enemy planes lose their radar icon.
5.  Use the force.

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2003, 03:04:42 PM »
Hey Eagler, I downloaded the DAT file and the PSI file.  I can view the dat file in the saitek profile editor, but how do I use them?  I imagine I have to save them somewhere in the AH directory?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2003, 03:50:59 PM »
Originally posted by tracerx
Hey Eagler, I downloaded the DAT file and the PSI file.  I can view the dat file in the saitek profile editor, but how do I use them?  I imagine I have to save them somewhere in the AH directory?

while you have it open in the editor, go to file save then browse to ur saitek software directory (C:\Program Files\Saitek\Software) and save it there.

then before you start into AH, right click on the Saitek icon in the right corner tool bar & choose the AH profile. Then start up AH and the profile should kick in

this is the way it works in WinXP

my win98 is using an older software setup which automatically loads the profile depending on the game

gl

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2003, 04:06:45 PM »
Im glad your a dedicated browser Eagler!.  I have done something similar to that and the rotary dials did not function the way I thought they would.  I will follow your directions exactly and let you know.

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2003, 08:36:17 PM »
Eagler, I have everything working but the rotary knobs.  The profile launcher does not seem to be effective.  As soon as I launch the profile, my mouse wiggs out (I think it only accepts mouse inputs from the joystick) and so I cannot launch AH after launching the profile.  I have tried opening AH then launching the profile (alt-tabbed out of AH and launched), but the Joystick Inputs stay the same, default settings I suppose.  The Joystick selection page in AH Stick Setup recognizes Rotary 1 and V-Axis as the two rotary switches.  This does not allow stick maping very well.  I will continue to work on this one.  Maybe I can bump into you online, and I can describe it better.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2003, 04:23:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice all - am up and running.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Joy stick woes
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2003, 07:45:47 AM »
tracerx, you using XP I guess

Yes the profile has to be launched before you start AH

I use a MS Optical Intellimouse usb and so not have an issue with it. My profile does not have a mouse function in it. The "mouse" on the throttle is used as a hat switch.

Maybe look/print out my settings, and start with a new profile, adding commmands one at a time til you find the one which hoses up ur mouse

gl