Author Topic: MA numbers - reducing?  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2003, 02:05:06 PM »
Summer for me.  

Don't fly as much, but still fly.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2003, 02:12:53 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
As it is now, AHII will mark the end of my involvement and my account. I've got other things to do besides upgrade this machine.
LOL! I guess when you spend all your time on the BBS just trying to piss people off... you have a hard time trying to shut that mode down.

And sandman... nobody really believes you really have other things to do.  Though... alot of people believe you'd find other things to do just to spite them.

MiniD

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2003, 02:42:25 PM »
Actaully I've been running my own personal census on the MA. For the past 2 weeks every day at 7pm Pac time. I log on and jot down the map and the numbers in a spread sheet. I orginally intend to prove the unpopularity of the pizza map. Turns out numbers are about the same. 450-550 on the ave everyday. I don't think the numbers are going down in primetime hours.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2003, 03:03:48 PM »
ive actually noticed and increase in numbers in hth as well as more and more regular MA folks actually flying hth a little bit more often...strange

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2003, 06:25:12 PM »
Originally posted by Joc
Ive noticed these strange terms being used,such as 'Outside' and 'real life' can someone explain to me what they are? should I be seeking them too? how do they compare to AH? do they cost more than 14.95 a month? is real life overmodelled? maybe Ive been with the flock too long....

It's the Big Room -- you know, the one with the ceiling that's sometimes blue, sometimes grey, sometimes a mixture of blue and white, and sometimes black with a lot of little white dots... and the bright light that illuminates the room when the ceiling is blue.

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2003, 03:21:13 AM »
this dose not include all you brown nosers..
BUT..
1 people are bored of a game which will not be updated.
2 people are getting bored of a game that is not gonna be fixed.
3 people are getting bored of a game that has no imput from the HTC staff regarding updates..
4 trinity is driving peeps away..

i still love it...but even im not playing as much...

give people an up date ... a new plane or fix ground vehicals.. and they will be happy till AH2..

or why not reduce the subscription, because if this was a bought game of the shelves it would be in the bargain bucket bin now, after 6 months plus with no update... like il2 and sub is free there

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2003, 04:32:40 AM »
AH numbers are allways highest following a release and then gradually decline untill another version is released. It's been that way since 1.02 .

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2003, 12:48:29 PM »
I think the #'s from this weekend were still pretty high...got into the 550's a couple times that I saw....however I'd say "average" headcount has been declining. Personally I think AH's "best days" were 18 months ago or more. Truthfully, I'm probably in the minority. I like the flight part of flight sim and all this "stratagy" stuff is just so much fluff to me.

As a side note had an interesting discussion on channel 1, started with someones "score" comments...which led to Shanes comments:D ...anyway my 2 cents was score is irrelevent to air combat capabilities...I'd say 10% of the top 500 are what I'd call "real good" sticks. Just after that ran into a "top 25" guy in an La-7 who thought my jug was a bit of fresh meat...30 sec later we had parts on aisle 3. Now this guy actually is a pretty good stick (and a class act) and got bushwacked a bit since I T&B a jug decently. Anyway I think the evolution of the game has taken it away from many of the "old core" casual (vs scenario) vet. Simply less fun for many...at least me.

I'm curious how many folks from the open beta still have active accounts?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2003, 01:08:13 PM »
Originally posted by humble
I'm curious how many folks from the open beta still have active accounts?

(Raises hand)
you should start a new thread with a poll!

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2003, 03:32:01 PM »
Just one question.

How many of the people who are no longer online were flying for free with the promotion HTC advertised?  Seems like that just ended in March.  I wonder how long those folks are included in the 'head count' Fariz provided.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2003, 03:46:25 PM »
I'd say a lot of the 'old hands' have quit, or are not playing much at all while waiting for AH2.  While numbers aren't decreasing, the overall "quality" of the experience definately is.  At least in my opinion, the focus of the game has shifted from air combat to "building battling" as Lazs would put it.  The game has never been very 'diverse' as far as what planes you see, but constantly seeing the same 4 planes over and over and over and over and over and over and over ad nauseum burns people out a bit quicker than I'd say is 'normal'.  Personally I've been in a constant state of burnout for about a year now, occasionally I'll fly a lot when I "re-discover" how enjoyable some planes can be to fly (the 109G-6 was my last one) only to get run down by la7s and chewed to bits by 5-20 people (depending on how large their pack is at the time) several times in a row reminds me of why it is pretty much a waste of time to fly anything other than the la7, spit, n1k (those 2 in packs), or P51 in the MA (or the 109G10 if you are feeling brave and lucky, and are a great shot).  

Pretty much a 'fight' in the MA terms starts when the Tiffies come in to pork the fuel at the field, and ends when one side gets more la7s, spits, n1ks, and P51s than the other side.  It is extraordinarily rare for a fight to just 'develop' between two fields, people are to afraid to go towards an enemy base unless they have 25 other people with them, which pretty much ends any chance for a fight as soon as all the dots start popping up on radar.  Yes, occasionally you will get some idiot that enjoys being vulched 4,000 times (which is why I think the vast majority of the 'mishuns' can maintain cohesion while they take field after field), but usually its just pork the fuel, kill the ack (and yes... in that order, nowadays), kill the town, take the field, repeat.  

Just 'patrolling' an area used to be a good way to get 5-6 kills a sortie, you could find other people doing the same thing and get in multiple 1v1 fights.  That doesn't happen anymore.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2003, 05:45:11 PM »
Urchin, I agree with you. And something as basic, usual and important in RL as patrolling, is here ridiculously punished by the kill per time score factor. CAP does not exit anymore, only the perpetual gangbang of spits and La7s.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2003, 05:53:30 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
I'd say a lot of the 'old hands' have quit, or are not playing much at all while waiting for AH2.  While numbers aren't decreasing, the overall "quality" of the experience definately is.  At least in my opinion, the focus of the game has shifted from air combat to "building battling" as Lazs would put it.  The game has never been very 'diverse' as far as what planes you see, but constantly seeing the same 4 planes over and over and over and over and over and over and over ad nauseum burns people out a bit quicker than I'd say is 'normal'....

Yep...   I took a 4 month break, started back less than a week ago and I feel burn-out just around the corner.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2003, 06:50:19 PM »
For a lot of reasons you have stated above is why I like the vastness of the akdesert terrain. The terrain is large enough that it affords me the opportunity to go to some less populated part of the map and have my little 1v1, 1v2, 2v2 fights that make me happy, while at the same time accomodating the hoards elsewhere on the map .

For the last year or so I've spent more time in h2h than in ma .

Offline Don

• Silver Member
MA numbers - reducing?
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2003, 07:00:46 PM »
It seems folks are conjuring up lots of reasons for fewer numbers. I for one know from the experience of playing/flying online sims for years now, that the weather has an awful lot to do with it. It has been a much colder fall and winter, and at the slightest hint of sunlight and warm weather, people can't wait to get out of doors. Summer months also will show fewer numbers up in the arenas. Hehe, the perfect time for those who have complained about too many up and flying, to get back in there and get in some 1v1, 1v2, 1v3 fights.:D
It oughta be eeeenteresting :cool: