Author Topic: Unsurpassed Dweebery - LOL  (Read 1131 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Unsurpassed Dweebery - LOL
« on: May 30, 2003, 10:38:17 AM »
We captured A39 from the CV, and were getting ready to capture V38. But against the orders of the CV captain, the ship gunners had porked 39 to such an extent that troops were not available. So I volunteered to up a goon for the long flight from A35 to V38. Just as I left A35 I noticed not one, but two knit goons - dropping troops on the town - which was fully up! No capture for them, so one of them comes chasing after me. LOL - a goon dogfight. I got the kill because he rammed me, destroying himself but knocking off a chunk of my wing. I didn't think that was possible. Over "there", only the guy doing the ramming suffered damage, and the rammed plane would be left unscathed.

If we can have game concessions like buff guns being turned off on the ground to discourage ackstarring, surely this deliberate ramming issue could be addressed.

Here is the film. Only very, very short - didn't even need to .ZIP it. View from External position for best effect.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003, 11:40:03 AM by beet1e »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 10:49:19 AM »
If memory serves me correctly, V38 does not have a town, so maybe they were trying to drop multiple sets of troops hoping that any defending GV(s) might not be able to shoot them all and maybe 10 will sneak in.

Ramming ... is ramming ... is ramming ... its part of the game and it ain't going away.

Tell me, how would a programmer be able to distinguish, via raw data, whether one rammed another intentionally or by accident ?

geeeeeeeeeesh !!!
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 10:58:56 AM »
Buff guns don't fire when the bomber is on the gound.

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 11:14:52 AM »
Too bad beetle.

Looks like he did what he had to do to get you down. Sorry it ruined your long flight (not really. WTG P38Devil!)

h

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 11:15:42 AM »
ahahahah! thats too funny! :D
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 11:30:47 AM »
>>Buff guns don't fire when the bomber is on the gound.<<

What game are you playing Muckmaw? Buffs guns certainly do fire when on the ground at an airfield that has no FH up but, all BH are up.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 11:44:57 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
If memory serves me correctly, V38 does not have a town, so maybe they were trying to drop multiple sets of troops hoping that any defending GV(s) might not be able to shoot them all and maybe 10 will sneak in.

Ramming ... is ramming ... is ramming ... its part of the game and it ain't going away.

Tell me, how would a programmer be able to distinguish, via raw data, whether one rammed another intentionally or by accident ?

geeeeeeeeeesh !!!
Slap - I worded it badly. The knit goons I saw were at A35 not V38. I've changed the wording.

I don't know how WB distinguished which plane was the rammer and which was the rammee, but it did. Maybe it was something crude like the faster plane was deemed to be the rammer. But it always worked, AFAIK.

Horn! LOL - bastage! But you do have a point. I did see a WW2 Spit pilot of the BoB interviewed - Ray Holmes was his name. He saw a German bomber (Dornier?) which he believed to be heading for Buckingham palace. He was out of ammo, so he rammed it! He bailed out, but I think the German crew went down with their craft.

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 11:50:46 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I did see a WW2 Spit pilot of the BoB interviewed - Ray Holmes was his name. He saw a German bomber (Dornier?) which he believed to be heading for Buckingham palace. He was out of ammo, so he rammed it! He bailed out, but I think the German crew went down with their craft.

Mucho cojones, that one.

h

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2003, 11:56:50 AM »
Originally posted by Don

What game are you playing Muckmaw? Buffs guns certainly do fire when on the ground at an airfield that has no FH up but, all BH are up.

Wait, if ALL FHS are down and ALL BH are up, the buff guns will fire when on the ground?

Are you 100% sure of this? I've never tried it.

I know from experience that you cannot fire the buffs guns when on the ground, but I did not realize that if what you said above is true, they will fire.

To be honest, I would not launch from a base that has all FHs down, as that base is most likely under siege, and I would be an easy target getting my bombers up. I ususally launch from rear areas, as heavies were designed for.

If what you say is correct, and I do not doubt you, then yes, buff guns should be disabled on the ground, no  matter the circumstances.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2003, 12:01:08 PM »
Originally posted by Don

Really?  Last I saw they didn't.... you sure you are talking about AH?  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2003, 12:03:34 PM »
Im not sure on this one...

The Gunner Positions dont work on the ground .. Correct?

But the Forward Nose Gun, fired from the pilots seat,  will fire before you leave the ground..  Correct??

I think it depends on which Guns your talking about.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2003, 12:11:03 PM »
Ramming not a part of WW2 air combat?

Who being selectively realistic now?

Again, your flip-flops are about the best part of this board lately!

:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2003, 12:13:04 PM »
"I don't know how WB distinguished which plane was the rammer and which was the rammee, but it did. Maybe it was something crude like the faster plane was deemed to be the rammer. But it always worked, AFAIK."

... always worked ? I doubt that.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to interpret the intentions of the person in this situation. It maybe a "guesstimate", and if so, it would NOT always work.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2003, 12:29:36 PM »
*Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!*
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2003, 12:30:50 PM »
Ramming in WB was dependant on what your FE saw. If your FE violated the HUGE collision bubble over there "you" collided. That wouldn't be seen on your opponents FE due to the "time" lag involved on the net. So ramming is impossible.

Everything involved with shooting, blowing up stuff, hitting another plane with your bullets was seen on your FE and sent to the other players FE through the game hub. I believe it works the same way here.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..