Author Topic: Unperk F4U-4!  (Read 1488 times)

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« on: June 03, 2003, 01:49:15 PM »
I don't want to get in a bragging mode here, but I am an experienced 'Hog' pilot.  The F4U-1 and 1D are good aircraft in the hands of an experienced pilot.  But what plane isnt??  

Now the F4U-4 offers a decent climb rate, about 3500fpm.  Not spectacular, but it allows it to be competitive in the arena of La7s, P51s, Spitfires and N1K2s.

4U-4 does 380mph on the deck with WEP, ~360mph with mil power.  At 25k with WEP the F4U-4 will top out at nearly 450mph.  Anyone have a dogfight at 25k recently?  Not I.

So what is the F4U-4?  To me, its basically a Navy version the P51D.  Performance might be slightly better in some areas, worse in others.  P51 is about 5mph slower on the deck, and climb rate is ~200fpm less from 0-10k.  

So here is my plea:  Unperk the F4U-4.  Give the Navy pilots a fighting chance against the swarms of Fw190Ds, Bf109g10s, La7s, and P51s.  The Hogs we have now are slow, climb poorly, and for some reason fall off the end of the flight deck of CVs.  Go Big Blue!

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 01:52:16 PM »
could say the same thing about the spit XIV.  All later war RAF a/c are perked!
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline MwTW9

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 02:39:45 PM »
i agree both planes shouldnt be perked.. But they dont perk planes because of how good they are.. if so the la7 would be perked.. I thought they perked them because of the limited number of those planes that were built or because they didnt come till very late in the war...

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 02:43:23 PM »
then why are both the spit XIV and Tempest perked?

Tempest = April '44
Spit XIV = Jan '44
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 02:49:30 PM by Furball »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 02:48:26 PM »
Originally posted by MwTW9
i agree both planes shouldnt be perked.. But they dont perk planes because of how good they are.. if so the la7 would be perked.. I thought they perked them because of the limited number of those planes that were built or because they didnt come till very late in the war...

Planes are perked because HT feels if they weren't they'd effect the game play by making it unbalanced.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 03:21:15 PM »
I've always thought the -4 was a hell of a plane...limited time in it but from what I recall it'll eat most of the plane set for lunch. I think the perk value is a bit high but its far superior to any of the unperked rides.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 03:38:26 PM »
Leave the perks on the F4U-4 and Spit XIV, but just have the icons say F4U and SPIT.

Having said that, 1 v 1 the Bf 109G-10 is more than a match for the Spit XIV.  I'd say they are pretty evenly matched, I've flown on both sides of that in the Combat Theater and some of the best fights I've had the pleasure to enjoy.  Definitely some of the most evenly matched ones.  I've taken up the XIV in the MA once or twice.  I think I discoed both times.  It's about as untouchable as a P-51D or 109G-10 if you get on top of the fur and cherry pick.  It's a little more survivable than both if you take it into the fur (less so if you take into account the neon sign saying "forget everything else and gang me!")  I think 20 perks would be fine, only because if it was free, 9 out of 10 Spits would be the XIV, and 20% of the planes you saw would be the XIV.  Just call it a SPIT though!

I can't say I've flown the 4Hog before.  I've never flown it actually.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2003, 03:46:56 PM »
imho i think the perk rides are over-priced (except for the 262).  perhaps if their eny values were cranked up, so that:

a) there's no particular incentive to be gained by killing one except the satisfaction.

b) they'd earn more than a measly .01 perk for getting 35 kills.

either that or lower the costs about about 35-40% of what they are now.

having said that, i have enough perkies to fly them exclusively for quite a while, however, they really just don't appeal to me.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 04:27:49 PM »
Hmmm, I think I'll try the F4U-4 tonight... sounds interesting.

Leave the rook -4 alone!!!!
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 04:39:50 PM »
They are perked for the same reason the Hog1c is perked, no one would bother to fly the other Hogs if the c and 4 weren't perked. Same for the spit 14, why fly a 9 when you can fly a 14? Just my opinion.

Yet they alow an arena full of la7's, go figure.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2003, 05:15:42 PM »
the -4 does is better then the p-51D in every way exept range.

perk prices are about OK (I'd lower the price on the spit14) and they can get really cheap if you are on the outnumbered country.

Also, I bet alot of those who complain about lowering perkprices have a few thousand perks on their account. USE THEM!

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2003, 06:35:11 PM »
f4u4 outclimbs the P38 and accelerates twice as good as a P-51.

Its more like a tiffie but with one hell of manouverability.

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2003, 06:48:02 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
Hmmm, I think I'll try the F4U-4 tonight... sounds interesting.

Leave the rook -4 alone!!!!

LOL steve..  

I think spit14 and temp should be perked but not so damn costy. They are way too expensive and everytime you do fly them you have to come in high and stay high or every red plane will be on your asss. As for the F4U-4 I say unperk it. It does have some good numbers not much better than the 51 though. One think about they U4 is seems if pull a hard turn your back at 220mph. When I fly it I seem to lose E really fast with it and we all know it cant turn slow. I dont see why it is perked. Im guesing the G10 shows better numbers than the U4. If the u4 had the guns the chog had I could see it perked.

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2003, 06:54:29 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
They are perked for the same reason the Hog1c is perked, no one would bother to fly the other Hogs if the c and 4 weren't perked. Same for the spit 14, why fly a 9 when you can fly a 14? Just my opinion.

Yet they alow an arena full of la7's, go figure.

NO way thats not why the perk them...cant be.  If was that way they would perk B17s and B26s so more would fly the kate :-) Think of the spit1 hurricanes hell all the early war planes. Maybe they should perk everything but early planes and put light perks on late war planes then. I dunno I like it the way it is, just dont fly perk planes except 262 and once awhile the Tempest. Just never perk the P38 :D

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Unperk F4U-4!
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2003, 07:32:07 PM »
The only thing that takes the fun out of the "reward" of flying a prop perk plane is the perk tag.  This is particulary true of the F4U-4, Spitfire Mk XIV and Ta152H-1.  They simply haven't got the performance to survive the gang bang those tags call on them unless their pilot is well, well above average.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-