Author Topic: We Really need Spit XIV, No kiddin'  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
We Really need Spit XIV, No kiddin'
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2001, 10:48:00 AM »
The N1K2 will get there eventually, and then it will be time to perk it as well, at least if that was the reason HTC perked the C-Hog.
The majority of the N1k2 pilots will then switch to the Spit IX, which will have to be perked (perking a 1942 fighter???). After the Spit IX, they will switch somewhere esle, which will have to be perked. You will end up with the least popular plane as the only non perk.

If a new spit is introduced that climbs at 6k FPM, does 360 or so on the deck, rolls like a 190, and STILL out turns every plane in the arena except the Zero, I WONDER WHERE ALL THE N1K2 PILOTS ARE GOING TO GO?
I don't think anyone is seriously calling for an unperked Spit XIV, and even then you've added 1000ft/min to the climb rate, and overestimated the turning abilities.
The Spit LF IX will do around 338 on the deck, same speed as the current IX at 15k, slower above 25k. It will turn and roll the same, climb at around 4,700 ft/min. If it has clipped wings, it will roll faster, fly a bit faster, turn worse.
It would also be the most produced single variant of the Spitfire, rather than the model we have now, which was one of the first, and worst, 300 or so Spit IXs produced. The current model isn't balanced and isn't historicaly representitive.

PS The current Spit IX has approx 8% of all kills this tour. An LF isn't going to raise it that much, nowhere near the levels the CHog once enjoyed.

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Nashwan ]

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2001, 11:26:00 AM »
262 is the answer  ;)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
The majority of the N1k2 pilots will then switch to the Spit IX, which will have to be perked (perking a 1942 fighter???). After the Spit IX, they will switch somewhere esle, which will have to be perked. You will end up with the least popular plane as the only non perk.  

Actually, I think you are wrong here.  If the N1K2 ever gets perked (which I honestly do not think will happen, but devoutly wish for) the N1K2 crowd will split.  The part of the crowd that enjoys "furballing" will go over to the Spit, which isnt half as formidable as the N1K2, again, in my opinion.  The rest of the crowd, the ones that want to fly the "best" plane, will go over to the La7.  It is sort of hard to tell how the demographics will break down, because it is hard to say how many people fly the N1K2 because it turns pretty well, and how many fly it because it does everything pretty well.  Anyway, this is just mindless babble.  I say take the latest Spit, the 1945 version, and put it in the game as a nonperked fighter.  Then we can put in the P51 Z or whatever the fastest possible propellor plane that was concieved in the war was, and make that unperked.  Then HTC can remove every other plane from the game and just have a whole lot of different paintjobs for those two planes.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2001, 12:39:00 PM »
Urchin,

No need to get snippy.  Nobody is asking for an unperked Spitfire MkXIV, let alone an unperked Spitfire F.21.

I happen to agree with you on the likely outcome of adding the Spitfire LF.MkIX, depending on what happens to the N1K2-J.  

Should the N1K2-J be perked, the Spit LF.IX would probably follow quickly.
Should the N1K2-J's FM revision make it suck (I don't think this is going to happen) then the Spit LF.IX would probably replace it at the top.
If the N1K2-J remains where it is, by not being perked and only receiving a minor FM adjustment, then I don't see the Spitfire LF.MkIX significantly changing the balance of power in AH. I think too many of those who flew the F4U-1C and now fly the N1K2-J rely on their huge ammo loads, and that is something that no Spitfire, not even the Spitfire F.21, can satisfy.

Quite frankly I think that HTC is more likely to introduce a 1945 Spitfire LF.MkXVI with a Merlin 266 engine and a bubble canopy as the highend non-perk Spitfire.  I think Pongo is right on that one, but I don't agree with it.

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Karnak ]
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2001, 12:41:00 PM »
Two points:

1. Every time a plane gets near the top of the kill list, there is talk about perking it. This is easily confirmed by doing a little BBS history review.

Take the F4U-1C as the example. It got lots of the kills, got perked. A few months go by and now there's talk about perking the "new" big killer. Obviously, it IS an issue.

Many predicted that a "perk the ______, it kills too much" movement would just move on to the next big killer after the _________ was perked. I'd say there's been ample evidence on the BBS to support that hypothesis. Feel free to disagree.

2. The "seeing the same plane over and over and over" argument:

That one was real big around the time of the "perk the F4U-1C" threads. Many of those who made and are making that argument are often found in the Combat Theater and some play it exclusively.

In fact, one or more of those who voiced this impression have returned to AH just to play in the CT.

No knock on the CT, but with the limited planeset and the clear preference for just a few of the aircraft in the CT planeset on both sides... why aren't we hearing that argument from the CT people who made it before during the "perk the F4U-1C" campaign?

Play the CT. Tell me how many different aircraft you engage, no matter which side you play.

Fact is fact; there is far less "type" variety in the CT but those who perceive a lack of variety in the MA don't complain about it in the CT. Go figure.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
Toad,

I wanted the F4U-1C to be perked, I still don't see any need to perk the N1K2-J.  But it seems that I may not be representative in this.

Your 2nd points makes sense to me.  For what its worth, I find the CT boring.  Its a 20 minute flight for the Brits if they want a post 1941 fighter and a much shorter flight for the Germans.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2001, 02:00:00 PM »
combat theatre as it is now isnt that great

but the TOD on the otehr hand!!!

:) :)

Offline Gowan

• Proation 9/22/2016
  • Nickel Member
Re: We Really need Spit XIV, No kiddin'
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »
i soooo had to bring up an old thread.... and its fun to look into the games past

Niki is late-war fighter.

Ki84 = perk

Spit XIV = perk

Basically all post summer 1942 spits are simply such magnificently designed and crafted warplanes that they simply defy all others in all performance areas and simply must be perked.   :)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 12:32:28 PM »
Someone call an exorcist! The dead are rising!  :eek:
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 12:34:19 PM »
PERK THE EXCORCIST!!!

:noid
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 12:35:57 PM »
wow thats a weird thread to read if u dont look at the date 
:noid
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 12:41:04 PM »
Yup, just what we need, a seven year old thread bumped to the top of the boards.  :rolleyes:

Lock it up Skuzzy !!! :aok

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 12:43:12 PM »
Think of it as a test.  It should take about six words to figure out this is a blast from the past, otherwise you aren't paying attention.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 01:03:42 PM »
Great. We have another necromancer. :rolleyes:
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Gowan

• Proation 9/22/2016
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 08:53:47 PM »
Yup, just what we need, a seven year old thread bumped to the top of the boards.  :rolleyes:

Lock it up Skuzzy !!! :aok

im not SEVEN!

go a bit lower  :noid