Author Topic: For those that might be interested in strategic bombing...  (Read 1500 times)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
For those that might be interested in strategic bombing...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2003, 07:49:58 PM »
I think they should make the dayglo player names and hoopty colored "gay rainbow" arcs even more ridiculously gia-normous.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2003, 07:56:23 PM »
What Zeroace forgot to tell you:

- they've only just implimented drag effects on flaps and gear
 - the Ju87 bombs are bugged and do little or no damage (new bug for 1.90 :) )
 - the 109E has been nerfed, it probably reflects closer to true performance however Hurricane and Spitfire E retention is out of whack
 - the 109 has a yaw bug that causes it to lose stability easily
 - Half of the german forces are threatening to leave the game due to game imbalances such as the Allies get 1942 or late '41 equipment in early 41 (A15 Mk III tank, Hurricane II). And the Axis having practically no good 41 gear (no 190s, no JU88, latest tank they get is the PIIIH)
 - lag is shocking
 - framerates with as many aircraft as shown drop to 10fps or less on an Athlon XP2100+ with 1Gb of RAM, and a Geforce 3ti500
 - NO AH PILOT could stand the 64 limit problem of aircraft vanishing in and out at d100. The games netcode is abysmal and highlights AHs superior netcode.
 - and of course lots of people having crashes with 1.90 which appears it should have been in beta for another month

I could go on and on and on.

Good ideas, still badly implimented although the ground war can be a lot of fun.

Check out the WW2OL forums for the real story and you'll see its not all peaches and cream.

If you want infantry and tanks, then go to WW2OL, if you want flying, don't touch it with a barge pole because it stinks worse than one of my turds!

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2003, 07:57:25 PM »
Is it just me or are both of those links dead?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2003, 08:09:44 PM »
Originally posted by ZeroAce
Etiquette?

Well when someone posts the free trial to ace's high or fighter ace in the WW2OL forum no one tries to beat them away with a stick.. They say, "Thanks for the info, I think I'll give it a try, but it might not be my cup of tea anyway."

It's not solicitation, it simply makes sense that some of you would want to try this bombing for yourself - so you can chose to give the 7 day gigex trial a go or not, whatever, you're choice.

Hmm, the responses I've seen from you in WW2OL forums aren't like that. They're more "it sucks" followed by a load of technically incorrect information.

For a real feel of the latest version it'd pay to browse the forums (like here http://www.okw.wwiionline.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51 ) where you'll find players not fanbois like zeroace.

Oh, and for good measure the player survey of axis players:
Do you feel we have Historically accurate weapons
Yes    
  14%  [ 14 ]
No    
  63%  [ 63 ]
don't care    
  6%  [ 6 ]
How would we know they are or are not.    
  17%  [ 17 ]

Total Votes : 100
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 08:17:58 PM by Vulcan »

Offline ZeroAce

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2003, 08:52:06 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
What Zeroace forgot to tell you:

- they've only just implimented drag effects on flaps and gear
 - the Ju87 bombs are bugged and do little or no damage (new bug for 1.90 :) )
 - the 109E has been nerfed, it probably reflects closer to true performance however Hurricane and Spitfire E retention is out of whack
 - the 109 has a yaw bug that causes it to lose stability easily
 - Half of the german forces are threatening to leave the game due to game imbalances such as the Allies get 1942 or late '41 equipment in early 41 (A15 Mk III tank, Hurricane II). And the Axis having practically no good 41 gear (no 190s, no JU88, latest tank they get is the PIIIH)
 - lag is shocking
 - framerates with as many aircraft as shown drop to 10fps or less on an Athlon XP2100+ with 1Gb of RAM, and a Geforce 3ti500
 - NO AH PILOT could stand the 64 limit problem of aircraft vanishing in and out at d100. The games netcode is abysmal and highlights AHs superior netcode.
 - and of course lots of people having crashes with 1.90 which appears it should have been in beta for another month
!

-What do you mean they "only" implemented drag for canopies, control surfaces, and gear? They already had drag done for everything else!  

-Framerates have LITERALLY doubled for most players thanks to the OpenGL implimentation.
I have an AMD 1900+, 512 RAM,  Geforce 3 ti500 and I can now run the game at 40FPS with full graphics enabled in 1600x1200 resolution, even during flight.
Before 19, I would be getting 5-10FPS doing that.

-Half the playerbase is not threatening to leave the game. It's just the usual whines that come with every change to the game.
95% of the playerbase is having too much fun with 1.9 to even go to the message boards.

-The crash issues were fixed the day after the patch came out in version 1.92

-The 109 "yaw bug" was fixed a day after the patch in version 1.91.

-There is no issue with the Ju bombs. There was a concussion error for vehicles that was fixed a day after the 1.9 patch in version 1.91.

-The 64 limit has nothing to do with netcode, it's an hardware issue that every game has.  

-The 64 limit now has a biasing so that planes will see planes first, and ground will see ground.
This has solved any flight problems most people had. The 64 limit doesn't even pose a problem in the largest of bomber formations.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 09:02:58 PM by ZeroAce »

Offline ZeroAce

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2003, 08:59:34 PM »
Sorry for the broken links, the host had to move them.

I updated the He-111 one, but the 109 one has not been moved yet.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2003, 09:00:52 PM »
You guys are all wrong-Zeroace for trying to convince ya'll, you guys that know nothing about it, (heliocopter 110?  Like squeaking about AH .90), and me for responding.

BTW did you hear that HL is shutting down on 4 August?

edit for spelling and fruedian slip.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2003, 09:12:46 PM »
[B-The 64 limit has nothing to do with netcode, it's an hardware issue that every game has.  
[/B]

And I rest my case. You don't have the faintest clue of what you are talking about.

Gadfly some of us have a lot more clues then zeroace.

At least play both games a reasonable amount before

a) BSing about whats really going on  
b) quoting technical information without having a clue

"they've only just implimented drag effects on flaps and gear" - (and control surfaces and the canopy) my point was how many times have you guys been in here telling everyone how wonderful the FM is when in reality its not even half complete?

And how do you answer the ahistorical weapons set?

And how do you answer the long term players on BOTH sides who consistantly state and agree that the vehicles/weapons/etc are modelled incorrectly.

I wouldn't normally jump in but zeroace spews such inane rubbish about the game someone (who also plays it) needs to point it out.

Offline ZeroAce

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2003, 09:35:25 PM »
Sorry vulcan, but you are in total ignorance over the 64 limit issue.

It doesn't have the faintest thing to do with update rate or bandwidth.

The only thing stopping them from raising it is that it would increase client hardware requirements.
Planetside has a limit too. A 128 limit, but they also have an arms length viewing distance and they don't sap up your CPU speed in calucating the pyshics behind all weapons, flight, and armor penetration.

AH has a limit as well, but with such low graphical requirements and players that are less dense you are unlikely to be hindered by it.

They intend to raise this limit in the future through optimizations... such as was witnessed in 1.9 with the switch to opengl.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 09:38:03 PM by ZeroAce »

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2003, 09:39:54 PM »
Downloaded 1.9 to see the changes offline, my computer has a hard lockup at the "prepare for battle" screen thingy.  Can't even ctrl+alt+dlt i have to hit the reset button.  I've tried installing dif vid drivers and direct x and ww2ol, i've given up.  Funny thing is i can't post on ww2ol boards to ask for help.  Never had any trouble with previous versions.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline ZeroAce

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2003, 09:41:15 PM »
Thrila, try getting the two latest followup patches: 19.1, 19.2.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2003, 09:44:25 PM »
you can only get those patches through the auto-updater, i haven't got an active account so i can't.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2003, 09:58:38 PM »
From those screenies it hardly looks any different than AH, with the exception of anything that i can see is dayglo orange.

I'de ***** my brains out at you, ZeroAce, but i'm so pissed off at your idiocy i can't see straight, so i'll say this.

GET OFF OUR BOARDS trying to sell your porked 'product', which is the equivilent of CounterStrike in the FS world, you dense retard.

WW2OL is on it's last leg, i'm sure, so again you're trying to advertise on a competitors board..

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2003, 10:21:22 PM »
Sorry vulcan, but you are in total ignorance over the 64 limit issue.

It doesn't have the faintest thing to do with update rate or bandwidth.

The only thing stopping them from raising it is that it would increase client hardware requirements.
Planetside has a limit too. A 128 limit, but they also have an arms length viewing distance and they don't sap up your CPU speed in calucating the pyshics behind all weapons, flight, and armor penetration.

AH has a limit as well, but with such low graphical requirements and players that are less dense you are unlikely to be hindered by it.

They intend to raise this limit in the future through optimizations... such as was witnessed in 1.9 with the switch to opengl.

The 64 limit 'issue' isn't the fact its 64... its the fact that the netcode doesn't incorporate biasing like AH does. So its not unusual to have things disappear right in front you simply because the game decides to render something thats further away.

AH air fights usually involve far more local numbers than the average WW2OL fight. Plus events such as ToD and scenarios often show off the superior netcode.

Upping the limit won't help people getting dumped off Opels, tanks appearing and disappearing, aircraft appearing just above you right as they release their bombs and all the other issues. CRS need to recode their netcode from the ground up, or perhaps license the AH system.

As for AHs low graphical requirements, well it has equally low CPU requirements.

And OpenGL hasn't done anything revolutionary for the game, the graphics aren't LITTERALLY twice as fast.  If anything its caused loads of problems for players.

You just a fanboi full of hot air.

"It doesn't have the faintest thing to do with update rate or bandwidth." - and umm where did I say it did?

Answer one question: Do you subscribe to play both AH and WW2OL?

You see I play the game, I know what happens, and I won't let you spread your lies here without challenge.

Offline ZeroAce

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2003, 10:29:44 PM »
The 64 limit 'issue' isn't the fact its 64... its the fact that the netcode doesn't incorporate biasing like AH does.

They incorperated biasing with 1.9 patch. Planes will see planes now before the ground units are rendered... And vise versa.

Have a nice day.

And once again:
The 64 limit has NOTHING to do with netcode, period.

I think Killer and DocDoom (The Producers of the game) know what they are talking about when they say the 64 limit is a hardware issue that does not have the faintest thing to do with netcode or bandwidth.

Although with the rabid hate for WW2OL displayed here  I wouldn't be surprised if you accuse them of flat out lying.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 10:35:35 PM by ZeroAce »