Author Topic: Targetware Open BETA  (Read 5118 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2003, 12:56:15 PM »
Very cool! Downloading now but won't get up til tomorrow. Congrats to the Targetware team!

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2003, 01:00:26 PM »
Cabby44,

Read what youve just typed outloud.

:(

Offline RedDg

• Silver Member
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2003, 01:13:30 PM »
Checking it out!  Congratulations to the Targetware team!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2003, 01:25:33 PM »
I played for a couple of hours in the Rabaul game.

Impressions:

Graphics

Superb on the whole; a good balance between detail and runnability. The cockpit art is excellent - the instruments in particular are outstanding, not quite so clear zoomed out but crisp and sharp as you move in. Controls, such as throttle etc move as they are toggled.

The Beaufighter cockpit is a work of art.

I didn't like the heavy dots of distant aircraft - AH does this much better. Terrain is good, tracers are nice and cloud layers are well done.

Views are like AH which is great. Six view is partly restricted, but not to a ridiculous extent like in WW2OL, for instance

FM

Challenging compared to AH. Engine torque is heavy and trimming is manual. Without working rotary switches on my joystick it is a complete pain in the arse to trim the plane using the keyboard.

At low speed planes need to be handled with more care - take-offs can be tricky if you have a heavy hand. Soon adjusted to however.

Engine management is quite detailed - I liked it.

Planes seemed to sink into the ground when ditched. Possible bug?

Gunnery

Didn't seem that different from AH. The only time I managed to get a gun solution was against zeros in a P-40. I scored hits without any difficulty. Nice hit 'smoke' sprites.

Overall: excellent game and well worth checking out.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2003, 01:37:01 PM »
need some help

I mapped "start" (to start eng) to a js key. Now my eng wont start. What combo of keys is needed to start your eng. I have rpm on a rotary and I know to be in fine pitch but I still get nothing.

Is there a way to "restore default" key settings or does anyone know whats up? :p

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2003, 01:42:39 PM »
Hmmm... Is the Target Korea mod available?
sand

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2003, 01:43:24 PM »
still trying to download the POS.  I have the korea mod and i dont like it too much.

just out of interest how long did it take all of you to download?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2003, 01:44:40 PM »
I have the Korea mod installed, but I cant figure out how to get it to work. It took 30 mins to download that one earlier today. Im downloading Rabaul now, and that one has taken two hours and is still not done...Im suspecting they have a lot of traffic on the server right now...

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2003, 01:53:06 PM »
piss on jets :p

anyway found problem i remapped mixturre and was hitting wrong key see yas up ....

Offline Berra85

• Copper Member
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2003, 02:17:18 PM »
Just downloaded the first thing, but where do i find the korea download?

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2003, 02:36:22 PM »
follow the instructions you download the mods from the targetware client. Takes a fuggin long time.

Stick set up is pretty clumsy as well. Like cabby I set up my ch stuff as 3 sep controllers.

All was well until I went to map. it took me 15 times per key. The dang thing wouldnt let me select a button. Only after clicking for 10 min will it select. Then since you cant map keys while in game it was in and out till I got umm set.

The graphics arent that great. The terrain is pretty poor. The cockpits beat ah just because they arent fantasy. The tracers suck. The black squares (dots) are terrible. I thought they were barrage balloons.

FM is simple enough but the need for trim is over done. Even il2 aint that bad. They went with the wwiiol deal where for the most part you have to go into "dash view" to see the guages. With the eng management system having to stick your head down into the cockpit and 3 inches off the dash to check your guages is too stupid to be fun. They have f3 (gives a block of text and numbers as a "hud") but it covers 1/3 rd of the screen.

The icons are rangeless but ugly as hell to.

This is just my early opinion and it may change but I doudt it.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2003, 02:48:35 PM »
HAY GUYS IS IT BETTER THAN ACES HIGH

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2003, 02:48:42 PM »
Wotan, try Korea...the ground looks great from 15k

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2003, 02:53:20 PM »
Guys, chill a little.  The different MODS are like 100 megs a piece, and everyone in the world is trying to download them.  Have some patience.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Targetware Open BETA
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2003, 03:08:45 PM »
I think it has potential. The F3 settings could do with smartening up and what settings you have selected should be highlighted. The trim aspect is over the top, I agree.

But considering this is a part time project, it is excellent.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.