Author Topic: Time To Do Away With AWACS Datalink?  (Read 2388 times)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Time To Do Away With AWACS Datalink?
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2001, 10:01:00 PM »
lol citabria. Commander Rialbh would be proud.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2001, 10:06:00 PM »
Gordo is Goredho, he's too lazy to call the office and get his name back (or embarrassed, he's even worse than before).  Come on now man, you can't seriously suggest we not know an airfield/city is being bombed to smithereens?   :)

Careful Festbria, HB just got done refuting realism saying radar should be disabled for gameplay reasons, now you've gone and ruined all his hard typing in one big pout.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Fatty ]

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2001, 10:08:00 PM »
I believe Citrabria said it best  :)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2001, 10:13:00 PM »
Actually fatty, I think this would be a good compromise in the MA...

Bar dar intower and inflight, except below 500ft. Dot radar in tower.

or

Friendly radar inflight (bar and dot), friendly and enemy dot and bar dar in tower.

and maybe some kinda warning syten that appears in text buffer whan a target is getting hit.

I think one of those would be pretty reasonable don't you?

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: hblair ]

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2001, 10:27:00 PM »
I don't want anymore text buffer, also one of the reasons I don't want dot dar limited to tower.

I can see the argument against bar dars well outside of friendly territory, and even to a point bar dars for NOE close to friendly territory.

Once you get within range of a base though I don't care how low you are, the simulated people in those simulated cities and bases would simulate telling someone about it.

As for a normal/high altitude raid?  I just don't see the argument that it should be able to come in undetected.  Position, heading and all (I really think an alt approximation should be added too, but I'm willing to leave it out as a gameplay concession).

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2001, 12:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by hblair:
Runny, either way you slice it, you keep bringing history while I'm talking about gameplay. I directed my reply to you because you quoted me in your reply, making me think you were talking to me.
[/QB]

Fair enough.  I bring up history, but usually it's in response to someone's historical assertions.  I wasn't talking to you at first (Ding Hao, I think, was the first person I quoted.  You responded to that, and I responded to you.  If I remember correctly.)

I'm sure my bias is showing here a little bit.  Though I don't call strat players bad names, and I even take part in the strategic conflict at times, I care less for their style than I do for fighter-vs-fighter combat.  So maybe I'm less sensitive to the greater difficulty in field captures, because I really don't miss it much.  The less frequently they happen, the less I have to worry about them.

Again, though, if I had Furball Island to flee to, I'd have no opinion about all of this.  Whatever you guys wanted would be fine with me.

No hard feelings, definitely.  This aint worth getting *mad* about.

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2001, 08:42:00 AM »
hblair lets put this in perspective... you started out by saying that 20 bomber guys organized a "mission" and because of dar and reading the roster you killed their "mission".  

What was their mission?   It was to pork as many fields and supplies as possible.  They wanted to have a huge effect on the gameplay of hundreds of people who couldn't care less about their "mission"   the fact that the attention starved sky accountants and bus drivers couldn't do it was a GOOD thing.
lazs

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2001, 08:58:00 AM »
"external views should be enabled along with more radar for all enemy dots in all sectors along with each dot having altitude speed and bearing information."

Here here. I'm with you guys now as I've seen the light. I'm emailing HTC to ask they toss out gravity and give everyione a BFG200 gun. OH! And give us FighterAce glass cockpits too!! After all the black out/redout stuff along with spins and that stalling baloney only make it harder to have fun or play a game and it makes it damn hard to "chat" when online. And what the hell good is all that artwork and structural obstructions if it prevents me from seeing the other enemy planes at any time?

oops...forgot my   :)

Westy

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: O'Westy ]

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2001, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by lazs1:
What was their mission?   It was to pork as many fields and supplies as possible.  They wanted to have a huge effect on the gameplay of hundreds of people who couldn't care less about their "mission"   the fact that the attention starved sky accountants and bus drivers couldn't do it was a GOOD thing.
lazs

Yeah, and your point is what? Big organized stuff like that are put together to shut your side down. You ever heard of a reset? It's been programmed into the game since beta. The intention of the programmer is for one side to *spoil* (waaah) the other sides fun and win the war. You think people enjoy getting shot down? Yet you dare to *pork* their plane. The taking of fields and bombing of targets is just another part of spoiling it for the other guy.

Ya know, there's this little thing called the "clipboard". Pull it up and click on another field if your base is "porked".

:)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2001, 10:58:00 AM »
Hblair,

What of the times that have been noted quite often about gang banging??? You now one side (or two) porking the smaller country down to a couple of bases then vulching them ad-infinitum. Kind of hard to "find another base" to up from then.

Really when it comes down to brass tacks. I thnk some of your ideas are good, in the CT or SEA. I base this on the numbers in MA vs the CT or SEA. If the ideas you are espousing are such wonderful aids to game play that the MAJORITY of players go there then you have a valid arguement for forcing it on the MA. Until then, IMO, these experiments belong outside the MA.

I really don't care what term you use to make fun of other players preferances, (crutch, quakers etc) it is still their choice. They are the ones paying HT for the game and deserve to have their game as do you. If you did these things in the CT then both sides could be happy.

I think allowing the perk points and strat to float betwee arenas is fine too. That way you could have your perk planes in the CT as well. Not being nasty, but that would negate any reason to come to the MA so you could have your cake and eat it too. Would that be acceptable??

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline DingHao2

• Copper Member
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2001, 04:32:00 PM »
A few questions:

1. Have you been gangbanged within the last week?

2. How many times were you gangbanged?

3. How many planes gangbanged you?

4. How do you think they found you?

5. Do you think the gangbangers used radar to find you?

6. Do you think you might have been able to evade them had dot radar not been available to you or them?

Answer these honestly!

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2001, 04:35:00 PM »
Gordo is a popsicle.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2001, 05:28:00 PM »
Geez, Louise!  :) Here we go again.  Round # 487 of the "dar" fight.

Runny - great book, Fire in the Sky.

I've posted enough here in the past regarding WW2 radar history and realism so no point going there.

Keep the radar the way it is in the MA.

Don't know of any pilot in AH that doesn't keep scanning the skies even with the current radar in place today.

A couple of things I like about the gameplay-

I like finding the action quickly which incidently doesn't equate to furballing.

I like the gameplay concession that gives the advantage to the defender with dot dar.  If you're attacking and you want to get rid of the radar then kill it- either via the HQ or kill the dar at the field.  I think this rewards those who are coordinated.

Tango, 1st LT
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2001, 08:50:00 PM »
DingHao,

In answer to your questions, assuming you meant them for me since you didn't address them.

I haven't been gang banged in many months. I log off if that situation is happening in bishland. The TA is there to fly in if there is now where else. My usual option is to go read a book instead of dealing with gangbanging. I did the same when the dar used to be down for a lengthy time as well.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2001, 09:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by dtango:
I like the gameplay concession that gives the advantage to the defender with dot dar.  If you're attacking and you want to get rid of the radar then kill it- either via the HQ or kill the dar at the field.  I think this rewards those who are coordinated.

Oh, I'm sure you like the concession given to the defender since you almost never attack. I can count your bomber and attack sorties on one hand. Hey if all I knew was fighters and furballs, I'd rather the dar stay the same too. Second thought, naaah.

Why don't you guys just post something like:

"I have no idea what it's like to try to take a field, but I really dig radar. We need it!"

Nothing personal tango, its just that almost everybody who loves the radar has no idea what we're talking about here because they never walk in the other (strat guys) fellas shoes.