Author Topic: Enough is Enough!  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« on: August 26, 2003, 09:58:16 PM »
I was just reading the article in regards to Judge Moore of Alabama placing the "10 Commandments" monument in the state court house two years ago, and it disturbs me to see what has happened.  Before I go on, I do not think it is right to force religion on anyone, or tell them how they should believe, that is up to personal choice.  That said, I also believe that our forefathers founded this country as "One Nation, UNDER God"  It is written into our "Pledge of Allegiance", that until recently used to be said in the classroom.  I remember saying it when I was in school.  The problem that exists is one where too many people are abusing the constitution and misinterpreting it's meanings.  Lawyers who feel they are slighted because they do not like the "monument" and it offends them sue to remove it... then the courts support that suit, even though our laws were founded on Judeo-Christian Ethics.... those very laws that allow this travesty to continue.  Where are these same lawyers when I see that imbecile with 60 piercings hanging out of his/her face, and Tee Shirt blaring to the world "I hate God", or "***** the World"... those things offend me, how come they aren't removed from my sight?  Why, because I am able to turn a blind eye to those actions, behaviors, and opinions.  When another American burns a flag, it turns my stomach, but I am not allowed to stop it... why, because it is their right to expression.  SO I am forced to turn a blind eye.  Well guess what, over 95% of this country acknowledges the existence of God.  And over 80% of those people are of Judeo-Christian Beliefs.  Last time I checked, this place was a democracy, majority rules.  

Leaving that monument in the state court house does not hurt anyone, but removing it hurts far more.  It shows the children that not only will we turn a blind eye to God, and not defend him, but it shows we will back the denial of his existence.  

As for the 20% that do not acknowledge the Old Testament, learn to look away, and leave it that.  Because I for one, am tired of having to conform to a minorities petty antics aimed at governing how I live my life.  Enough is Enough.  It is time for those that believe in what I have said to stand up for what they believe in and take this country back from those that are ripping it apart.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 10:20:01 PM »
How many of these flag burners and people who wear offensive shirts and have piercings hold a public government position, and openly do these things at their workplace?  I too would not be happy if those representing me did such things.      

It's not about the monument itself.  It's about the government not allowing affiliation with any religion.  I don't care where the monument sits, as long as it's not in a place funded by taxpayers.  As an athiest, how am I supposed to believe that I'm about to get a fair trial if such a radically religious judge is presiding over my case?  I doubt that you would want to turn a blind eye to the monument if it was based on radical islamic values.  

About the children?  I think it's important that they learn early on that we have to be tolerant of other's beliefs and we can't try to force our beliefs on others.  We don't need generations growing up believing that their religion is more important than the values of others, and the value of freedom of religion on which their country is based.  We know what happens in other regions of the world when children are religiously brainwashed from a young age.  Teach your children religion, but also a thing or two about American Government.

Leaving that monument in the state court house does not hurt anyone

It hurts my faith in my country when government officials try to infringe on the separation of church and state.  It's a thorn in the side of those who believe anything other than the most popular view on religion.  And who does it help if it stays?  Does the fact that the commandments are written on a 2-ton rock make them any more significant than those written on paper?  Shouldn't a good Christian know these without having to refer to a 2-ton rock?  Can I put a 2-ton rock next to it that says "There is no God?"  Lets see how many Christians turn a blind eye to that.  Same argument, different side.

Ditch the rock, retain our values.

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 10:23:10 PM »
I refer you to:Alabama Judge Roy Moore

Your a tad late.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Re: Enough is Enough!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 11:50:28 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
Because I for one, am tired of having to conform to a minorities petty antics aimed at governing how I live my life.  Enough is Enough.  It is time for those that believe in what I have said to stand up for what they believe in and take this country back from those that are ripping it apart.

Amen.  (no pun intended)

I have a great deal of hope that when the torch is passed to the younger generation, they/we will reverse this self destructive process.

Its completely out of control, although an indicater of how good we actually DO have it; people have nothing else to complain about.

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2003, 11:54:38 PM »
Right on Bodhi:)

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 12:11:56 AM »
Thank God for separation of church and state.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 01:03:25 AM »
Well written Bodhi.  You 'da man!!!:)

Les

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 01:29:48 AM »
The term "Under God" was written into the Pledge of Allegiance in the 1950s, not by our founding fathers.  That child that hates her parents enough to jam 50 pieces of metal into her body and who wears a shirt declaring her hatred for your imaginary friend in the sky is not a publically funded building.  A courthouse, on the other hand, is.  Considering that the 10 commandments have no business in a court of law (unless someone managed to replace the law of our land with biblical law recently), there's no reason to have them in the courthouse.  You want to wear a shirt declaring your love for your buddy christ, that's your right...have at it.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 01:41:11 AM »
SOB what you don't understand is these people belive there should be only the Republican party, run by Pat Robertson or some other Christian Televangelist and everyone that does not agree with their way of thinking is out to get them... You know, the EXACT thing the Pilgrims were running from.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 01:47:40 AM »
Originally posted by SOB
The term "Under God" was written into the Pledge of Allegiance in the 1950s, not by our founding fathers.  That child that hates her parents enough to jam 50 pieces of metal into her body and who wears a shirt declaring her hatred for your imaginary friend in the sky is not a publically funded building.  A courthouse, on the other hand, is.  Considering that the 10 commandments have no business in a court of law (unless someone managed to replace the law of our land with biblical law recently), there's no reason to have them in the courthouse.  You want to wear a shirt declaring your love for your buddy christ, that's your right...have at it.

SOB

Then they have a lot of work ahead of them.  We're gonna have to remove it from the oath when you're swearing in jurors, witnesses, politicians, and even judges.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2003, 02:16:01 AM »
You have been watching too much TV. You do not HAVE to swear "To God" when taking an oath.  A person may affirm.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2003, 02:34:32 AM »
Time to grow up, God doesn't exist.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2003, 02:35:09 AM »
Originally posted by davidpt40
Time to grow up, God doesn't exist.

Tell him that when you meet him.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2003, 03:30:17 AM »
Originally posted by rpm371
You have been watching too much TV. You do not HAVE to swear "To God" when taking an oath.  A person may affirm.

Actually, I served on a jury in March.    

Maybe YOU'VE been hugging too many trees.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2003, 03:40:13 AM »
Then you know I am correct. :)
Stay thirsty my friends.