Author Topic: Amazing P38 flight characteristics  (Read 2346 times)

Offline mos

• Copper Member
Amazing P38 flight characteristics
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2003, 10:23:33 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Below 10,000ft you can get a P-38 past 500mph and still have control.  Of course control will be a little sluggish because of the increased airflow but you won't enter into compressability and you will still be able to maneuver and at high speeds the P-38 has an incredibly fast roll rate.

ack-ack

Ack-Ack, I think I'm becoming a fairly good p38 pilot, but I don't know if I've ever seen my speed go above 500 or 515 TAS.  Does the needle stop registering speed increases, or do you know if the p38 just isn't modelled to go any faster?

--I have on more than one occasion gotten my IAS up to 475, though.  The roll rate is astounding.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2003, 10:37:23 PM »
ive seen over 500, not sure how much, maybe 515, but have seen it and lived.
~S~
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2003, 01:38:37 AM »
Originally posted by mos
Ack-Ack, I think I'm becoming a fairly good p38 pilot, but I don't know if I've ever seen my speed go above 500 or 515 TAS.  Does the needle stop registering speed increases, or do you know if the p38 just isn't modelled to go any faster?

--I have on more than one occasion gotten my IAS up to 475, though.  The roll rate is astounding.

I'm guessing it goes higher because I use IAS speeds and I've gotten the P-38 to 500mph IAS in dives quite a few times.  You do have to watch out though when you pull out of a dive at those speeds, at least if you're carrying ordnance.  The only times I've torn my wings off in a P-38 was when I was going close to 500mph and did a hard G pull out.  Without ordnance I've never been able to rip the wings off and I've tried pretty hard to do it.

Another thing with dives in the P-38 is try not to start them above 20,000ft to avoid any compressability problems.  You should also trim the elevator to the approximate neutral, which in the P-38 would be on the _ part of the L where it says ELV on the trim indicator.  You might have to give some forward stick when you get above 450mph but at least when you engage the dive flaps you'll see your nose pitch up really fast.  Using your dive flaps will also help you in high speed turns.  If you need to slow yourself down quickly you can use your rudders to create some drag and with your throttle you will be able to keep your plane at a near constant speed in the dive.

I'm sure some of the P-38 flyers in here are going to be pissed that I let the cat out of the bag.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tequilla

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2003, 08:26:27 AM »
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 08:29:41 AM by Tequilla »

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2003, 08:55:41 AM »
Originally posted by mos
In case no one's figured it out yet:  don't follow a P38 up.

Dont follow any thing thats extending its vertical unless you know you can have a guns solution before or at its apex.

A rule I constantly break..............

the dope who is roped
Ludere Vincere

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2003, 09:40:01 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack

I'm sure some of the P-38 flyers in here are going to be pissed that I let the cat out of the bag.

ack-ack

Nah :D .....  Most proably don't even understand what yer saying  .... my 38 will continue to own all of you :p

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2003, 11:33:01 AM »
DoctorYo is 22 and 0 using the p38 air to air air to ground...   (minus 2 aircraft kills during takeoff, Even I will vulch if the climate is right.)

DoctorYo

Nuff said... Great Plane...

Offline Bulz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2003, 12:28:35 PM »
Most of my vertical fights have a speed range of 0-500 miles per hour. P38L locks up at 450.

_____________________________ _____________________________ _______________

Well, going vertical means going up in my book, and I fly both 38 and 51.. 51 is dead meat in a vert climb against a 38.

As for 500plus speed..  I have been mostly flyin 38's for a few months now.  The trim tabs are a wonderful thing when you start compressing!!!  And the speed you maintain after levelling out is amazing!  Against most people (i said most wild! hehe) I would rather be in the 38.  Got in 5 v 1(me the 1 in a 38) low (very bad place..) on the Festerma map.  By being a little gentle on the stick, I was able to get 2 very quickly.. then as e bled away.. Can  you say "flaps"???  turned 2 more to death..with snap-shots..  by that time, I was down to 200 and the 5th one (a spit of course) got me.  Though I died, wasone of the best fights I have had.  And ya can't beat that second engine for getting you home!

And I agree about the weight thing!  I take it up with 50% and 1 D/T.  That gets me anywhere I need to go.  And I also...  well can't tell all my secrets!  Still learning everytime I fly it.  Now if I can only get that killed engine reversal thing down.. ack-ack?  Care to  help? hehe! all

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2003, 03:41:21 PM »
Above 300mph, the P-51 is definately a better fighter than the P38.  The purpose of this post was to show how docile the P38 is at low speeds, not to make up a bunch of stories.

Offline Bulz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2003, 06:28:08 PM »
Once again, someone goes and makes a personal attack on someone.  Thats one of the reasons I rarely post.  I'm sorry if you think it bs david.  You are entitled I guess, but I will not lower myself with an attack on you.  Lighten up Francis! heh

Offline mos

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2003, 07:06:42 PM »
Originally posted by davidpt40
Above 300mph, the P-51 is definately a better fighter than the P38.  The purpose of this post was to show how docile the P38 is at low speeds, not to make up a bunch of stories.

I disagree.  Assuming everything else is equal, above 300mph, the P38 has a higher roll rate, tighter turn radius (although not certain about that one), no torque effects, and a much longer zoom climb.  The P51 can accelerate away --but not in a dive.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 07:10:15 PM by mos »

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2003, 08:12:56 PM »
Above 300mph, the P-51 is definately a better fighter than the P38.

In what way?  I don't think so.  Not 1 vs 1, anyway.  The only thing the P51 can hope for 1 on 1 is to run away, and that only level--no dives or climbs.  The P51 is not a great plane co-E, imo.  Like the Hog.  Maybe not as bad as a wurger or jug, but nowhere near a 38.

All equal and good pilots, of course.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2003, 08:19:08 PM »

While the P-51 might out run the P-38 it won't out turn it or out fight it in the vertical.  While in AH the best operational altitudes for the P-38 is between 15,000ft and 20,000ft, in real life the P-38L performed very well at altitudes above 25,000ft.  The P-38 was originally designed as an interceptor and it did it quite well.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 11:58:57 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2003, 11:04:06 AM »
P38s? Why all this talk of p38s?? No-one likes a p38.. its big.. TOO big.. guns suck.. and theres almost NO ammo in the damn planes.. only 1 cannon...  you guys are all high.. the P38 sucks!! 51s outrun 38s.. studmuffinA7s outrun the 38... G10s outrun the 38.. Why would anyone wanna fly a sorry assed P38?? This is all non-sense and I vote this thread deleted and burnt... All posters (myself excluded) should be warned not to spread such vicous and ill-true statments about such a lacking aricraft....  I mean, ggggggeeeeeeeeeeeezussss!! you cant even see outta the damned thing!

k
AoM
- TWBYDHAS

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2003, 01:31:11 PM »
LOL Kappa,

you dirty bastig 8)