Author Topic: Amazing P38 flight characteristics  (Read 2328 times)

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
Amazing P38 flight characteristics
« on: December 05, 2003, 04:47:39 PM »
Was playing around in the P38L, heres some of the interesting things I found it could do.

It can take off on one engine (from a dead stop)
It can climb on one engine

While at 10 feet AGL, airspeed ~250, I can go 90 degrees straight up, shut off the engines, wait until the plane stalls and falls inverted, being engine restart, and still have enough altitude to regain control and level off.

At 10 feet agl (speed 250), with only 1 engine on, I can go vertical (90 degrees), stall the aircraft, wait until it enters a spin (usually inverted), restart the dead engine, and still have enough altitude to regain control and level off.

The only maneuver I havent perfected yet is going vertical on one engine from sea level, stalling and spinning, and regaining control before I crash (without restarting dead engine).  I only tried it once, and combat trim was on.

I think the P38L is Americas best TnBer in the vertical.

Offline leitwolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 05:20:49 PM »
hush! Dont tell anyone!
P.S.
Try the special '38 version of the hammerhead: vertical zoom with both engines running, then cut (or reduce throttle on) one engine near stall speed. THAT is a quick reversal.. ;)
veni, vidi, vulchi.

Offline mos

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 07:30:34 PM »
In case no one's figured it out yet:  don't follow a P38 up.

Wait, wait.  That's how I get every one of my kills.  Forget I said that, I don't need to learn any more ACM.

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 11:09:47 PM »
I think the P38L is Americas best TnBer in the vertical.

I'd go further and say it's the best plane in the vertical period.

Good 38 pilots know this.  Like mos said, if you want to live, don't follow it up.

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 02:43:41 AM »
I must digress.  While the P38L does have the highest thrust-to-weight ratio of the non-perked U.S. fighters, I believe the P-51 to be a better vertical fighter.  Now the P38 definately has some amazingly docile stall characteristics, but the 51 can zoom climb very well due to its laminar flow wing.

Will have to do some testing on that to find out the true 'king'.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 02:46:24 AM »
Originally posted by Ecliptik
Good 38 pilots know this.  Like mos said, if you want to live, don't follow it up.
I'd follow it up in a 109G10. I've even followed up a Me163 in a G10 and nailed it. Of course, this is a testament to the G10, and not my own skill - I have none.

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 07:45:42 AM »
Originally posted by davidpt40
I must digress.  While the P38L does have the highest thrust-to-weight ratio of the non-perked U.S. fighters, I believe the P-51 to be a better vertical fighter.  Now the P38 definately has some amazingly docile stall characteristics, but the 51 can zoom climb very well due to its laminar flow wing.

Widewing did some zoom tests recently.  Spit XIV, 109G10, and P38L were all on top (close enough to be virtually equivalent).  P51 was some ways behind, I believe.  It was also found that less fuel = more zoom.  I.e. all else equal, lower weight wins.

In sustained climb, G10 and XIV are neck and neck, according to the charts at netaces.  Everything else is either left behind or left way behind.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 10:19:14 AM »

David, the laminar flow wing does nothing to enhance zoom-climb. It's greatest advantage is reduced drag at very high speeds. Essentially, this results in postponing drag rise. Of course, the propeller itself is the greatest source of drag at very high speeds. In a straight-up, full power zoom climb from 300 mph, the P-38 leaves the Mustang well behind. If you reduce speeds to 200 mph, the difference is even greater.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2003, 06:26:34 PM »
Also if you follow it up, in something like a G10 or 51 the fight can get into a stall fight very fast. You dont want to stall fight a P38 in a P51 or any 190,109. 38 rocks:D

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2003, 06:38:09 PM »

The P-38 is a better fighter in the vertical than the P-51 as it retains its E far better.  Get a co-E and co-alt P-51 and P-38 and take them in the vertical and the P-51D will stall out before the P-38 does.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2003, 07:51:59 PM »
Most of my vertical fights have a speed range of 0-500 miles per hour.  P38L locks up at 450.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2003, 08:29:56 PM »
Most of my vertical fights have a speed range of 0-500 miles per hour.  P38L locks up at 450.

If you're locking up your P-38 at 450mph, then you're not doing something correctly.  With proper use of your throttle, trim and dive flaps you can safely get a P-38 into a 450mph+ IAS dive without locking up your controls or getting into compressability.

ack-ack

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2003, 09:20:52 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
If you're locking up your P-38 at 450mph, then you're not doing something correctly.  With proper use of your throttle, trim and dive flaps you can safely get a P-38 into a 450mph+ IAS dive without locking up your controls or getting into compressability.

ack-ack

shhh, i love surprising ponies with that.

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2003, 09:48:20 PM »
Yeah I know about dive flaps and trim, but above 450mph the P38 ceases to be an effective fighter.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2003, 10:30:38 PM »
Says who?  Maybe for those that aren't very familiar with the P-38 and don't fly it often and aren't used to how it handles.

Like Murdr pointed out, many P-51 drivers have been surprised to see a P-38 following them in a 450+mph (IAS) dive and catch them.

ack-ack