Author Topic: Spitfire in the CT?  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« on: December 20, 2003, 07:36:24 AM »
Why wasn't the Spitfire added to the allied planeset in Tunisia?  Seems to me it was much more prevelant in North Africa than the P47D.  

I believe last Tunisia it was included.  Thanks!

Crumpp
StaffleKaptain, 10 (Sturm) / JG 3

"Good Flying never killed an enemy yet"
                                            Major Edward "Mick" Mannock, RAF

"There are two types of Aircraft - Fighters and Targets"
                                            Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 11:21:46 AM »
Well, the axis guys are killing our bases and there is nothing that the allies WILL do about it but furball. Does this mean that they are better?...no it means they control the allies actions. Does this mean the sides are ballanced based on dicision making...lol, but no. The allies are playing not smart so this makes it look as if the sides are not balanced.....however if thats the way it is then its NOT balanced based based on how its being played...so bring in the SPITS!

Did I just say that?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 02:13:42 PM »
No, clearly the Spit has no place in this setup of the Historically based CT.

:rofl
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 03:22:48 PM »
Let me chime in with the pat answer before it surfaces from it's usual sources.

"The CT has absolutely nothing to do with historical accuracy. It's all about combat hence the name Combat Theater (not to be confused with "Theater of Combat" which "Combat Theater" is a shortened form of and denotes different historical and quasi-historical settings in different theaters of combat during WWII)!"

"Play balince is moor impotent then hysterical acurucy. We ... meening me (Brady) .... indevuor to make tings as belinced and playsant for the Axis ... errr ... I meen .... CT playars as pussible."

:D :D :D :aok  :rofl  :lol  :D

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 03:43:55 PM »
For whatever reason there is a deliberate policy of limiting the Spitfire in the CT, sometimes in a subtle way, sometimes not (like here). I suspect it has something to do with the MA experience although I cant be sure.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 04:24:01 PM »
Whenever the Spit is included the Axis guys start bawling their eyes out. Histrionics the likes of which are rarely seen. So yes the CMs balance things by not including one of the greatest planes of WWII.

They also keep P51s, F4U-1Cs, 262s, Tempests, Typhoons, YAK-9Us and LA7s, etc down to a dull roar. These planes are unbalancing in their opinion. Makes me crazy!

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 05:08:02 PM »
Well we had N1k's-a-plenty last week in the CT.  Annoying at times but fun to shred, the spit would be used alot and whining could ensue.

I'd just like my Hurri to be able to catch something.  I looked down and an M-3 passed me this afternoon:eek:

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 06:35:18 PM »
I'd just like my Hurri to be able to catch something. I looked down and an M-3 passed me this afternoon :rofl :aok

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 06:41:44 PM »
Oh, I know damn well the Typhoon is on "the list" too...you never see it unless the LW can counter it with a Me262 or a 109G-10, despite the fact it was in service 2 years earlier.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline TimRas

• Nickel Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 03:36:36 AM »
AFAIK, USAAF had P-38(F/G), P-39, P-40 and Spit V Fighter Groups in Mediterranean in late -42/early -43. Bomber types: A-20, B-25, B-26 and B-17.

RAF had mainly Spit V's, P-40's and Hurricanes.

Axis had 109G-2's, early Fw190A's and C.202's.

Mosquito and P-47 don't really belong here.

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2003, 09:07:16 AM »
The RAF had Spit IX's in Tunisia as well. Im not asking for them to be included (why bother), but I am pointing it out.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2003, 09:27:19 AM »
TimRas,

I agree the P47 and the Mosquito have no place in a N Africa scenario.

Since HTC policy of not modeling any plane that wouldn't be "useful" in the late war dominated MA those of us looking to reproduce History are left wanting.

Ideally we would be able to  have the 190A3/A4 for the Axis.  IMO the fighter line up should be:

Axis (all of which can carry bombs)
109F
109G2 (in a Luftwaffe skin NOT the Finnish finish :) )
190A5 (perked to 5 points)
C202
C205 (not sure of the timeline on Italian birds)

Jabo's

JU 87 Only - 110 wasn't really a jabo bird and was regulated to nachtjager/defense of the Riech duties Although just as ALL GE fighters flew Schlachtflieger missions 110's did drop some bombs.

I agree with your Allied set up TimRas but would include the
Spit IX perked.  It was a 1942 AC, at least the first versions.  It should be a very even match for the 190A5 with almost all flight parameters being equal except for sustained turn radius which the spit wins hands down.  I Think HTC has it modeled pretty good.  Dietmar Hermann who has written several books on the 190D series and the Ta 152 development just finished a book on the 190A series.  All are Schiffer Military Histories and cost about 50 bucks apiece and run 200 pages plus.  They are extremely good references and not only include the Flight graphs but the test flight parameters.  They tell you the state of the engine, propeller, fuel, loadouts, etc..

Taking the average of the Test flights I tested HTC's 190D and it was with in 10 percent of the Flight data.  Sometimes a little better sometimes not as good.  Pretty good IMO for a flight sim.
Got the 190A series on order and will check it out.
Crumpp

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2003, 12:13:14 PM »
Originally posted by scJazz
Whenever the Spit is included the Axis guys start bawling their eyes out.

Don't think of myself as an "Axis guy," but count me among them for this statement.  Fact is, whenever Spits are enabled, they are practically the only plane flown by the Allies.  Makes for a very dull CT.

- oldman

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2003, 12:32:17 PM »
I agree the P47 and the Mosquito have no place in a N Africa scenario.

I'm sorry to say but those of you that feel that the P-47 doesnt belong are full of ****T.

The 325th Checkertails flew them there:

Soliman, Tunisia (Nov '43 - Dec '43)

They shot down a wide veriety of aircraft but mainly;

102 Bf-109s
   9 Fw-190s
 12 MC-202s
 11 Ju-52s

However, not all a/c may have been shot down in Tunisia
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 12:36:53 PM by LtMagee »

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Spitfire in the CT?
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2003, 12:54:03 PM »
The Axis Forces Surended in mid May of 43 in Tunsia, so the P47 did not particapate in the Fighting for North Africa.