Author Topic: This is kinda confusing.  (Read 6091 times)

Nakhui

This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2003, 05:17:45 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
I've said I won't support Bush if they don't find WMD and now that they have Big Mustache, they've got no excuses. They get more time to break him; that's a reasonable consideration. But in the end, they have THE guy they accused of having WMD. They better produce now; you don't take this nation to war against another sovereign nation and then say "oopsie".

You make some good points, and I agree with you.

What disturbs me the most is that I got the impression this entire Iraq war was started because Bush said had evidence of WMD, and if that evidence isn't found -  doesn't that make his entire decision making process suspect?

If he did not have evidence to support his reasons for action, to commit this country to war, what did he use to make his decision?

He also said Iraq would be rebuilt by Iraqi oil, and now that has come to not to be the case.

And several of Bush's anti-terrorism measures, such as holding detainees with out legal representation, have been declared unconstitutional by the courts.

I get the impression Bush makes his decisions in a knee jerk fashion, regardless of the US and international law.

Then again... perhaps this kind of behavior is needed right now to scare the piss out of terrorists and terror supporting nations - such as Lybya, Iran, and North Korea. Interesting how North Korea is all of a sudden wanting to talk.

At the same time it's kind of scary to have a government run amuck of the US constitution.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2003, 07:40:50 PM »
C'mon MT.. dive in there. Talk in absolutes!

You agree with that statement, don't you?
;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2003, 07:45:11 PM »
It would certainly make the intel gathering and evaluating process suspect at the very least. But we really don't know what evidence was presented do we?

Iraqi oil may or may not pay for the rebuild. It's too early to tell. Maybe once they get the system fully up to speed and modernized it'll be more clear.

Unconstitutional? That's what the courts are there for. Checks and balances, right? Not the first administration to have stuff reversed by the courts, is it?

It's why the Supremes are the "most important" of the three "equal" branches of the government.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline yowser

• Copper Member
This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2003, 07:56:39 PM »
Sheesh, you're starting to talk to yourself.

So you lost a lousy bet.  So what.  Let it go.

yowser

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2003, 08:34:53 PM »
Actually, I'd rather they DID inspect.

But that isn't the point right now. It's clear they have to have the cooperation of the inspected nation to do any good. THAT'S the point and of course there's something that follows from that, isn't there?

And here I thought you had me on ignore.

So tell me, are you actually Dutch and not Norwegian? Is that why you flew off the handle there?

It's clearly a reply to Nakhui's post. Do try to keep up Yowser. Oh, and if this stuff bothers you, I'm sure you realize you can just not read threads I start? :p
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 08:36:56 PM by Toad »

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2003, 09:12:11 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
What about the North Korean's taking out the inspecters cameras and publicly announcing they are starting up their nuclear program? If the UN was a real global cop instead of a paper tiger I think they would have done something other than turn and walk away from the situation and wait for the US to take some kind of action.

Let's see... the U.S. invaded Iraq without U.N. sanction and you think the U.N. should somehow coerce North Korea to give up their weapons program after the U.S. has telegraphed the next punch.

Fat chance. Bush put North Korea on the defense with that idiotic axis of evil statement. Bush will have to find a way to fix it.
sand

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2003, 09:39:24 PM »
Historically the UN Forces didn't "stop the slaughter" in Bosnia. The UN, with all it's self-imposed restrictions couldn't do it. It ended up in the lap of NATO which really means the US. It's just a fact, it's history and it's not a personal attack.

It may be offensive to you, but it's not ad hominem.

You say lots of things that I find offensive; but I don't get all worked up and start shouting "ad hominem".

True "ad hominem" would be if you called someone "stupid" or something like that. It's not germane to the discussion and it IS a personal attack. See the difference?

I think you're getting the point about "voluntary inspections" under the NPT. Sounds good doesn't it? Works great with countries that have no intent of developing WMD. In reality, it doesn't work with countries that are indeed trying to hide something. Libya is proof of that, don't you agree? That's the point. Extrapolate from there.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2003, 09:41:19 PM »
C'mon Sand.

NK was in violation of the NPT and in violation of the agreements it signed with the Clinton administration long before Bush showed up at 1600 Pennsylvania.

We put THEM on defense? Nah, don't think so. All they had to do was abide by the agreement they made; the one they admitted to breaking almost before the ink was dry.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2003, 09:44:12 PM »
Originally posted by Rude
and what would you term it as?
A ripple from a splash is not a side effect.  It is a direct effect.  One that you know is going to happen.

As apposed to a side effect, I believe it to be an anticipated effect.  "EXAMPLE" was stamped all over this operation... with "WHO'S NEXT?" stamped on the last page.

MiniD

Nakhui

This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2003, 10:01:37 PM »
It would certainly make the intel gathering and evaluating process suspect at the very least. But we really don't know what evidence was presented do we?

Thought he made his case before the UN and congressional IC with US Intell. He managed to persuade Britain and several other contries...

I recall Blair coming out and saying that he had seen the US evidence and was convinced.

Ok... it sort of makes one wonder... how the Brits could also be convinced.

Ok say US Intell was totally and utterly wrong. Wow! That's quite an "Oopsie!"

Perhaps kind like the Maine and Cuba.... was it a bomb... or did the boiler just blow?

WWI - and the assaisination in Serbia sparking conflict through out Europe.

Odd how if one were to step out of the situation and emotion of the time, one might see a completely different picture - miscalculations.

For example... do you truely believe Iran, Lybya, and North Korea's current reversal in rhetoric and willingness to co-operate and play well in the national community was forseen and planned by the Bush administration or was it just serendipidy... and now they are seizing upon the opportunity to credit for it.

If you believe the former, then the Bush administrations are sheer political geniuses and advanced thinkers.

If you believe the latter, then they are bumbling fools who got lucky.

What's the pattern? What's their track record in regards to predictions which came true, and predictions which were false?

If the majority of them are true then they are adept at adjusting world politics - influencing other nations.

If the majority of them are false then they are idiots playing a dangerous game with people lives.

I guess tha'st why their prediction that Iraq had WMD becomes important. Because there is a third answer... there were never any WMD and they knew it... and they saw the threat in these other countries (and more)... and this was their ploy to solve them.

What's the evidence?

Everyone admits North Korea was working on WMD, nuclear weapons, and they could do it, and they were close - this wasn't bravado speaking, Saddam and his "scud" missile teachnology - oh wow what a threat... acturate to what plus or minus 300 miles (ok I do exagerate - to make a point at the "real" differences in threats.

North Korea was a greater threat to the sability of Asia than Saddam was a threat to the middle east. His army and Air Force was a joke.

North Korea has the capability to rain death upon millions of people with in minutes. Millions of people. Everyone knows this.

What's the political fall out if America allowed that situation to escalate - and it happened?

there's more...

The question is what country could be use as an example... to convery to the rest of the world this kind of behavior was not tolerable.. and the consequences would be unacceptable?

Lybya? Haven't heard peep with them for a decade... and they were co-operating with the Pam 103 trials.

Iran? It's a toss up.

Compared to Iraq - perfect. A thorn in the side. Constant violations.... already had a military presence - ready - capable.

spins a good story?

Ok back to some metrics

Business use charts - sales, market share, customers, etc - to measure their health as a business - growing, skrinking, gaining market share...etc.

Diplomats do the same and so do "intelligence" agencies by tracking what countries say, what they do, what their capabilities are - and the personalities in power and factoring all of these variables to predict what a country wiill do.

Will NK really attack the USA/Korea/Japan if the US calls for a sanction in the UN?

What's the calculated risk?
Do they mean it?

Check the metrics.

If they always do what they say they will do - it's likely that they mean it.

If the leader is a hot head and has a history of this - it's likely that they will do it.

If they have the techonology and have tested it, - they have the capability of doing what they say.

Would the reprecussions be worth their action?

If they're situation were already dire - their action may be worth the consequences.

The US cut off North Korea's oil shipments. North Korea not have enough energy to power all of it's industry. There for some business will have no power - no power they can not produce their products - no product - no sells - no sells - no revenue, no paychecks - unemployment.... lower economoy - economic ruin.

America is choking North Korea... to death economically by denying them energy.

What do they have to loose?

Nuclear energy would releave the dependence of American oil.

I'm just writing a story here... :rofl

Pretty good fiction?

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2003, 10:11:13 PM »
Do I believe this was intended?  Yes... I said so in May:
Sheeesh... enough of the "WMD" rhetoric.

Here's a synopsis for those who don't get it:
  • Saddam Hussein led Iraq invades a sovereign nation.
  • Coallition forces push his forces back into Iraq.
  • Saddam continues to spout off about the great satan.
  • Saddam ran Iraqi government offers rewards to suicide bombers in pallestine
  • Suicide "bombers" fly two jets into the world trade center and one into the Pentagon
  • Talliban officials dance in celebration
  • Iraq officials dance in celebration
  • Talliban destroyed
  • Iraq government destroyed
  • U.S. asks if anyone else wants to dance in celebration of 9/11
Anyone that is playing the "prove it" game with Saddam and state sponsored terrorism is being quite simply ignorant.  The French have been hiding behind "prove it" for some time, the Russians just choose to because a) they don't feel anyone cared when state sponsered soldiers were in Chechnia and b) they want oil money.

The rest is just a facade to appease the "court of world oppinion".  Everyone knows why we went in... and they just wanted a plausable excuse... not necessarily a good one.
The U.S. picked a country with a dictator that openly sponsored terrorism.  They went in and took him out.  Too many are arguing that getting rid of saddam did nothing to "reduce the threat", while I maintain it did exactly what it was supposed to do.  It sent notice that the U.S. was not going to let world oppinion stop it from fighting terrorism.  It was not going to let world oppinion stop it from reacting.  Those that hid behind the protection on world oppinion for so long are responding.

MiniD

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2003, 10:20:03 PM »
C'mon Sand.

NK was in violation of the NPT and in violation of the agreements it signed with the Clinton administration long before Bush showed up at 1600 Pennsylvania.

We put THEM on defense? Nah, don't think so. All they had to do was abide by the agreement they made; the one they admitted to breaking almost before the ink was dry.

They may very well have been in violation of the treaty. No argument. But, once Bush made his "axis of evil" statement, there is little incentive to shut down the program.
sand

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2003, 10:40:16 PM »
Here is an incentive:  We will dig you out of your Rat-hole and put you on trial.

As opposed to Clintons incentive:  Here, we will give you some nuclear materials, if you promise(no crossing fingers!) to use them for energy production only.

Nakhui

This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2003, 10:49:32 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
They may very well have been in violation of the treaty. No argument. But, once Bush made his "axis of evil" statement, there is little incentive to shut down the program.

It wasn't the words "axis of evil" - but you know those aren't just idle words for showmanship.. they can't be.  They have to be coded messages to other countries to be used in their metrics.. or to confuse their metrics

However, the action is the oil shipments were stopped.

Where else was NK going to go?

What were their options?

They chose to escalate... I think to get world attention to the situation.

A miscalculation to the response?

How far were they willing to commit until - they converted words to action or what - blinked and back down on the rhetoric.

This has to be part of Bush's calculations.

Nakhui

This is kinda confusing.
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2003, 10:55:46 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Didn't the US do the same thing to Japan?

Yes, and Japan chose to go to war with the US... and seize the phillipines.. which were a coaling station for the US...

Not sure if they were a source for coal at that time - any one know?