Author Topic: Newbie questions:  (Read 3302 times)

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Newbie questions:
« on: December 24, 2003, 10:38:57 AM »
No pointing and gawking at the newbie!  But anyway, after reading the forums and playing a little, I have a few questions?

1.) I figured out that "Maintaning E" is keeping your energy, but how would I go about doing this?

2.) How do you climb so fast?  I usually have to take 5 minutes from the start to get up to 10k feet.

3.) How do I avoid going too fast in a dive?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Newbie questions:
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 10:54:50 AM »
two types of E (energy)
potential and kinetic

potential E - stored E = Alt

kinetic E - inuse E = speed

use zoom climbs ( zero "G" climbs to regain alt for E fast, after diving on a target)

use of high yo-yo's and low yo-yo's in angles fighting or merges help retain or conserve E rather than doing flat turns or pure vertical turns/loops to where it bleeds ya E down real fast. Although some planes ie...the spit variety can do continous loops for ever  "loop warrior" but is still not a good idea.

when diving reduce (chop) throttle to try and slow or maintain a desired speed, also use of rudder helps to shave off speed,

as for climbing fast from take off or ingeneral, there are alot of variables involved here, alot to do with amount of fuel(weight) , hvy ordanace (xtra weight), etc....some may take less than others, some may use wep (war emergency power)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Newbie questions:
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 11:00:39 AM »
ooowwwwwwwwwhhhhh Look at the Newbi!!:D

To maintain "E", avoid doing high "G" manuvers. The harder you pull, push the stick, the more energy you use. If you make a run on an enemy, make your pass, and then pull your turn as tight as you can to get another run, you've burned half your "E" and speed is now down to 150 knts. If on the other hand you make your pass, pull up easy and make a big wide turn to get back in for the next shot, you'll still be at 300+ for speed with a bunch of "E". The only time you want to get slow in almost any plane is for your landing  :)

Climbing.... well what can ya say, it takes time. After you launch, set your heading, and hit "ALT x" This will put the plane in auto climb, and for MOST models its the best climb rate for all the planes. Some people like to level and use WEP for a min or two then go into auto climb, depending on the plane.

Diving..... drop your throttles to 0, if you need to slow more, give it hard rudder to one side. If the plane starts buffeting.... bouncing around...pull up, and climb to burn more speed, then start dive again. Buffeting is the main signal that your plane is about to start compressing and you are going to lose manuvering control.  Its better to call off a dive halway down, and try again, them to just "lawn dart" your plane.

Good Luck and welcome to Aces High !

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Newbie questions:
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2003, 12:25:45 PM »
Err, Zoom climbs?  Mind clarifying?

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Newbie questions:
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 12:36:12 PM »
After making your pass on an enemy, you zoom climb out. This is a gentle climb up away from the target. It turns all that speed, back to potential energy (alt) so you can save your "E"

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Newbie questions:
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003, 03:04:21 PM »
What planes are good at attack, fighting and Bombing?

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Newbie questions:
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003, 03:41:31 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
1.) I figured out that "Maintaning E" is keeping your energy, but how would I go about doing this?

Energy Managment
Yo-Yo's
3.) How do I avoid going too fast in a dive? [/B]

In addition to the answers already posted.  Sometimes it is best to manage your speed before going into the dive.  If you are cruising at 300mph and plan to dive 8,000ft, slow down before you start your dive.  Or take a few extra seconds to spiral down closer to your target before going into a vertical dive.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Newbie questions:
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2003, 04:09:47 PM »
Hi and wellcome to the Aces High

Check this link.

About Energy managment, read carefully Andy Bush articles from SimHq site:

* Energy Management: Picking the Right Airplane for the Job
* Boom And Zoom Tactics part 1-4

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
Newbie questions:
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2003, 04:17:51 PM »
What planes are good at attack, fighting and Bombing?
Let me put it this way.  In the hands of a good pilot, any fighter in the set can be "good".  

The most forgiving fighters for newbies to fly are the:
N1k-firepower/manovering
SpitV-manovering
La7-speed/E-recovery

Forgiving Attack plane.
P51D-Payload/high speed manovering/E-retention

Pages upon pages could (and have) been written about the virtues of every other plane, and why it is the best.  I am only suggesting the ones that are easiest to learn on.  Personally none of these are my plane
:)

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Newbie questions:
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2003, 04:34:35 PM »
Ok, i've been reading some of these articles and I have a few questions.

Andy shows the graphs of the turning rate at different velocities.  But then he has a line that shows sustained turning rate.

Does this mean that the planes can't hold the maximum turning rate shown at the peak?

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_011h.html

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
Newbie questions:
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2003, 04:45:47 PM »
If I understand your question correctly:  The plane can perform to the peak.  Its the pilot that cant.  They didnt have G-suit systems installed back then.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Newbie questions:
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2003, 04:47:42 PM »
No.  On the graphs there's a line that shows the sustained Turning rate at certain velocities.

If this line is on there, can the plane perform above this?  How can it do it?

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Newbie questions:
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2003, 05:13:22 PM »
Those graphs are by Leon "Badboy" Smith.

Simply put the sustained turn curve is theoretically where the aircraft can hold a turn without loss or gain in energy.  Sustained turns above this curve means you will be losing energy, while below the curve you will be gaining energy.

BTW- Welcome to AH!

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Newbie questions:
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2003, 06:09:03 PM »
OK then.  How do I tell how hard to turn (or not to turn) to fit onto this line?

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
Newbie questions:
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2003, 09:00:06 PM »
OK then.  How do I tell how hard to turn (or not to turn) to fit onto this line?

Totally about experience. Unfortunately the best way to get it is die a lot.
Would suggest some DA time--lottsa guys hanging out there would likely help.

Welcome to AH