Author Topic: Small maps and rooks = DOS  (Read 9500 times)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Small maps and rooks = DOS
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2004, 03:42:54 PM »
Originally posted by dracon
Ahhhhh........Great Thread.  As the XO of the 339th, a Rook P-51D squad.  I was very glad to hear that so many others (Knit Bish) had a great time!

You can be sure that kicking butt was fun on the Rook side of the pond.  Vox & Type was full of giggles and well-dones!

The Knits and Bish should try it!!  What would be wrong with a KJO or even a....BJO??  Oops!  Maybe we can't say that on this board :)

JK guys.  W/O you we wouldn't have anyone to fight!

For those who stayed and fought heroically for their countries and to those that changed countries to keep the battle raging, a huge

To those (Rooks, Knits, & Bish) that taunted on channel 1 and to those that logged in disgust........Well what can be said.

RJO's & Rooks - Rock!!

Been there..done that..BORING. Of course I find it boring because I can't get kills with lots of friendlies around :D.

Just curious...if the Knits and Bish really feel outnumbered, why not start a whine fest here like the Rooks did? It seems to have worked for them (and people say whining doesn't pay off :D).
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2004, 04:37:01 PM »
LOL, You guys :D

Odds doesn't make it fun.  The COOPERATIVE effort makes it fun!  Haven't you heard??  There is No "I" in Team.  Sheesh!

I totally enjoy watching my squaddies and countrymen get kills.  That's cool!  Hmm....Maybe the difference between the Rooks and the Knits & Bish is starting to showing through here.

NoBaddy,  You crack me up Dooode! You're, You're so Bad!  LOL!

Dracon

Offline roofer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2004, 04:55:56 PM »
For those who stayed and fought heroically for their countries and to those that changed countries to keep the battle raging, a huge

that is what it's all about

GoZilla  81st

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2004, 05:04:59 PM »
I totally enjoy watching my squaddies and countrymen get kills.

Yeah thats why I log on lolh.  

Maybe the difference between the Rooks and the Knits & Bish is starting to showing through here.

Yeah it is.  Rooks hate a fair fight lolh, dont fly under 25k and need 2 to 1 odds to cap a base. :D   Personally if I logged on and saw 2 to 1 odds in favor of my country I would log off.  That is no fun.

The COOPERATIVE effort makes it fun! Haven't you heard??

COOPERATIVE effort lolh, no I havn't heard.  You might as well just play offline, you'll get the same affect.  Tell me what do the last 30 guys do after the first 30 already flatened the place lolh.  Cooperativly fly around with thier thuimb up their prettythang lolh.

I'm in it for the fight, dropping bombs just got too easy and too monotenouse.  Bores the crap out of me, especially in the horde.

OK, OK enough pissing on you reset weenies all.

Offline 11dano11

• Zinc Member
      • http://danodesign.net
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2004, 05:20:27 PM »
--''For those who stayed and fought heroically for their countries and to those that changed countries to keep the battle raging, a huge ''--

We've stayed an fought heroically every Sunday for the last 6 months as the RJO got more and more lopsided.  My standard in-squad joke has been "that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" and there's some truth, because on more evenly matched nights we do quite well.
   But squad ops against +100 is simply an excercise in frustration, as I'm sure the 'heroic' FreeBirds will tell you, and your patronizing doesn't make it any more fun.  Sticking around just gives you guys something to shoot at, for which I'm sure we have your resounding respect.

But you guys are right, I can always take 20 minutes to climb a Jug to 30k and cherry pick Rooks, without worrying about my Squadies.  Boy, that sounds like fun. [pffft]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 05:23:08 PM by 11dano11 »

Offline Kegger26

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2004, 05:40:01 PM »
Got an issue?....here's a tissue.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2004, 05:44:03 PM »
The real irony of it all is that those who left the MA and logged onto the CT arena because of swarms overwhelming the place immediately formed up and began swarming against bases there (3 or 4 to 1 odds vulching). The funny part is ... they weren't really all that good at it. I think one ... maybe two ... bases were captured in all. I died quite a bit but I took quite a few with me.

At one point the opposition had my base capped and was vulching with 1 in 3 augering doing it. The VH had been left intact so I upped a Flakker ... better odds, even with the vulchers auging. Alas my turret was knocked out fairly quickly but not before someone finally managed to put the required damage into the VH to pop it. So rather than tower out and give the kill cheaply, I decided to hang in there and at least make the bastages waste more ammo and ord to kill me. And waste it they did. You'd have figured my smoking/crippled FP was the biggest threat there was to their grab for real estate. At least a half dozen planes (maybe more) circled and made passes with their guns (eventually taking out the treads). An SBD made five or six passes with bombs still slung on it's wings. Musta been over a couple of thousand rounds fired at me and a couple of sticks of bombs that missed their mark. After about five or six minutes someone finally puts a bomb on target. ROFL ...

In the tower, finally ... I see there's still a couple of planes passing back and forth ... shooting the dirt runway. Field guns were all popped. Then I see a low C-47 that looks like it's going to drop troops down the length of the runway. I figure .. wth ... it may be the ultimate futile act of defiance (we all know what generally happens to anyone upping even a "lightly" vulched strip) ... I up and figure I can at least pop a troop or two if they're being dropped straight down the runway.

They were dropped alright .... at about 50-100 ft off the deck - *plop* x10. Heh. The goonie driver augs right behind me. I make it up as one of the fighters turns to get me. He makes a joust attempt and falls down in flames. I'm laughing so hard I aug myself.

Yup ... sure am glad players left the MA cause it was too MAish .. then brought it with them. Eh .. it's all good. Sometimes the CT really does need some comic relief to keep it from getting stuffy. :D

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2004, 06:04:40 PM »
But you guys are right, I can always take 20 minutes to climb a Jug to 30k and cherry pick Rooks, without worrying about my Squadies. Boy, that sounds like fun. [pffft]

Dano ... 30K would make you co-alt with most rooks. You'll need to climb out to 40-45K to get any cherry-pickin' done.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline IHham

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2004, 06:23:17 PM »
There is No "I" in Team.  Sheesh!

No, but theres a ME

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2004, 06:25:45 PM »
NoBaddy,  You crack me up Dooode! You're, You're so Bad!  LOL!

Dracon

Glad to be helpful :aok .

I can remember the early days of Air Warrior, when the arena limit was 32. The Warhawks would put up 20+ on Sunday nights and pound the livin' crud outta the 3 or 4 Az and 3 or 4 Cz that were up. Then spend the next week patting themselves on the back and telling everyone how great organization was.

Enjoy.:lol :lol
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

VWE

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2004, 08:04:28 PM »
I keep reading this Bish-Knit as though we were the same. Everyone knows the Knits go it solo and the Bish-Rooks spoon almost every night.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2004, 08:34:04 PM »
Dano ... 30K would make you co-alt with most rooks. You'll need to climb out to 40-45K to get any cherry-pickin' done.

Oh please, the theme of this whine has been done to death.
Every team has it's share of alt-peeps.

I just left the A27 area because my 11k pony was being deluged by BnZing nits in an assortment of planes, including but not limited to: p47, 262, 190's.

Bish are no different.... there's alt monks on all sides. Actually whining about one side doing it more than the other is foolish and unfounded.***

*** Back to your originally scheduled thread.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2004, 11:18:41 PM »
yawn
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2004, 08:13:08 AM »
closer fields like festers map make the best, most fun maps and....

The country with the numbers "wins" the war... not only that but... the country with the numbers dominates the map.

They don't allways come out the best on K/D... most are lemmings.    The country with 20% more numbers dominates... when their numbers drop so does their domination... If they can keep their numbers up long enough.... they "win the war".  

Logged on last nite.. the rooks were circling every knit field (so were the bish) both had like 20% more numbers than the knits.   They were congradulating themselves on their skill and stratigic "skill".   40 min later the numbers evened out... both bish and rooks lost ground and domination... plenty of fields not capped for rooks to take off from.

there is your "strat".... that is all there is too it... it is a crutch for those who are unable to fight...  get enough numbers and your clumsy suicide attempts look like "strat"... you are part of the team instead of just an unskilled virtual pilot who fears any real fighting.

lazs

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2004, 08:34:28 AM »
And to add to laz,

The last two maps had fields a sector or more than a sector apart.  No fields were less than a sector apart.  There were no furballs, yes there were large amounts of enemy cons overwhelming anything that came up against it, but there were no furballs.  

This map on the other hand has some sectors where there are 3 fields in one sector.  (i.e. middle of the map)  This created some great fights last night, even when the fuel was porked by the suicide dweebs.  The strat weenies could pursue there ever preciouse reset while people who just wanted to fight could fight.  Any map where the fields are a sector or more apart will increase the likelyhood of the horde mentality.  Now I'm not saying all bases have to be close, buit I think Fester and Mindano proved again that an even apllication of close bases and bases a sector apart works well for everyone.