Author Topic: Small maps and rooks = DOS  (Read 9488 times)

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Small maps and rooks = DOS
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2004, 08:54:25 AM »
I can't b'leve I read this whole frikkin thread. Now my head hurts.:rolleyes:

Offline 11dano11

• Zinc Member
      • http://danodesign.net
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2004, 10:12:22 AM »
Arlo --"The real irony of it all is that those who left the MA and logged onto the CT arena because of swarms overwhelming the place immediately formed up and began swarming against bases there (3 or 4 to 1 odds vulching)."--

No, Arlo, that's not the irony.  At the height of the CT fighting the numbers were EXACTLY even... 34 to 34.  That's simply allocation of resources.  The Irony is that you guys couldn't mount a defense against even numbers.

Steve --"Oh please, the theme of this whine has been done to death.  Every team has it's share of alt-peeps."--

No Steve, being an alt monkey was suggested as the solution to more Rooks Sunday nights than Bish and Knits put together.  

Lazs --"Logged on last nite.. the rooks were circling every knit field (so were the bish) both had like 20% more numbers than the knits."--

Don't know what game you were playing, Lazs.  Despite being outnumbered by the Rooks, around 190 to 180. the Knits were taking the Rooks east coast -- 27, 28, 32, and 33 -- and we still hold them this morning --- despite STILL being slightly outnumbered.

Mars01 --"The strat weenies could pursue there ever preciouse reset while people who just wanted to fight could fight."--

Against +100 on a small map, neither can do either.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2004, 10:24:14 AM »
No Steve, being an alt monkey was suggested as the solution to more Rooks Sunday nights than Bish and Knits put together.

I must have misunderstood Dano.  By the time I logged on, even being an alt monkey wouldn't have helped the nits.  They were basically being mauled before they could alt.  I switched to nits to avoid being part of the mob  and received a gang rape or 3 myself.  :D
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2004, 12:40:35 PM »
Originally posted by 11dano11
No, Arlo, that's not the irony.  At the height of the CT fighting the numbers were EXACTLY even... 34 to 34.  That's simply allocation of resources.  The Irony is that you guys couldn't mount a defense against even numbers.

What's with the defensiveness, Dano old buddy? You should know better. I found it rather funny. The swarms did as much damage to themselves as they did others. But that's not the point here anyhoo. The IRONIC part was players logging from one arena because of the swarm/gang only to do it themselves at the CT. Silly gits gritching about it in the forums later.

Oh ... and you know as well as I that pulling up the roster to see numbers parity for a second doesn't mean squat. The 4-1 base vulch gang thang is just what it is ... even with numbers suddenly even for a second. Don't use that to rationalize ... no need.

Hell ... I love you Damned Damned ... but this is funny.

:lol  :D  :rofl  :aok
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 12:48:20 PM by Arlo »

Offline 11dano11

• Zinc Member
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2004, 01:28:04 PM »
Arlo --"But that's not the point here anyhoo. The IRONIC part was players logging from one arena because of the swarm/gang only to do it themselves at the CT. Silly gits gritching about it in the forums later."--
Arlo, try to buy a clue, ok?  Swarming/ganging is not an issue.  That's how bases get taken in the MA and we were after a base in the CT.  Missions and/or hordes get sent against bases all the time.  You either rally a defense, come up another base, go to another front, or whatever. No one I know has a problem with massive assualts (as some mention, whining about gangbangs is silly, because they're avoidable) and I have never, ever complained about massive assualts.

But when the Bish have 150 up, the Knits have 150 up and the Rooks have >>300<< up, there simply is no defense you can rally, no cavalry to call, no mission you can mount, not a dang thing you can do but stay very hi at the edge of the tide, pick off what you can and hope to land at a rear field before it gets over run by the swarm.  

The Rooks had so many up that I suspect most couldn't find enme to shoot at, so what's left?  Go pork rear fields.  Oh goodie, there goes another option for us.  What, take off from even further rear fields?

I checked the CT roster several times Sunday night, Arlo, specifically because of why I'd left the MA.  The sides never varied by more than 4 or 5.  If we outnumbered you >>AT A10<< it's because your countrymen were off doing something else, not because there were 40 Egyptians to 20 Israelis.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2004, 02:25:27 PM »
11dano... read what i said.   I said 20% the numbers were like 145 against the 180's .... when the numbers got evened out, like you say 180-190  (i don't consider 5% difference to be "numbers") then domination ended.   If you are playing under the illussion that you can change the way the gameplay goes with a 20% difference in numbers then you simply need to get hit over the head with the numbers things a few dozen mor4e times for it to sink in.   Not noticing is not the same as it not happening.

Ther is no strat other than numbers.

closer fields make for better gameplay.

lazs

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2004, 03:49:29 PM »
Now Now Children, this whole thread is a whine, has been a whine, and should cease to be a whine.

Fuggin Ball babies

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2004, 04:22:56 PM »
::Chuckles::

Nothing like post RJO Whine Threads  ;)  

You get 1 night like every month or two and some folks just go to peices.

I enjoy the cooperative play of an RJO,  I know some dont, but I dont fault them for it.  

I had fun Sunday,  and I found several really good fights.   I even got a couple 1 v1 and 2v2 fights.   My compliments to our advisaries that stayed and fought the difficult fight.

Offline DEMAN

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/dthbr/
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2004, 05:18:10 PM »
WTG Grimm and Karaya 2..tell it like it is!
New thread...same whiners.
Every once in a while I come in and follow a few posts in here but I now realize it is only when I am suffering from huge lack of "wife ack" and need to "self punish" myself for past bad deeds.
Seems it only takes reading about 20 or so WHINE posts and I feel like my old self again.
As I am not Catholic, and don't have the ability to go to "confession", I can now plan to go out and do whatever I want, knowing full well I can return to my computer and read this forum and all is well again:)
Guess I have to thank all the whiners for that...even tho I do seem to feel a forum headache comming on...
:p

btw Karaya...who said you could cruise around in MY waters in ur little ship??? hmm???:lol
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 06:25:00 PM by DEMAN »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2004, 05:28:32 PM »
Originally posted by 11dano11
Arlo, try to buy a clue, ok?  Swarming/ganging is not an issue.  That's how bases get taken in the MA and we were after a base in the CT.  Missions and/or hordes get sent against bases all the time.  You either rally a defense, come up another base, go to another front, or whatever. No one I know has a problem with massive assualts (as some mention, whining about gangbangs is silly, because they're avoidable) and I have never, ever complained about massive assualts.

But when the Bish have 150 up, the Knits have 150 up and the Rooks have >>300<< up, there simply is no defense you can rally, no cavalry to call, no mission you can mount, not a dang thing you can do but stay very hi at the edge of the tide, pick off what you can and hope to land at a rear field before it gets over run by the swarm.  

The Rooks had so many up that I suspect most couldn't find enme to shoot at, so what's left?  Go pork rear fields.  Oh goodie, there goes another option for us.  What, take off from even further rear fields?

I checked the CT roster several times Sunday night, Arlo, specifically because of why I'd left the MA.  The sides never varied by more than 4 or 5.  If we outnumbered you >>AT A10<< it's because your countrymen were off doing something else, not because there were 40 Egyptians to 20 Israelis.

*quizical look*
*shakes head*

Dano ... Dano ... Dano ... what's the deal here? You not reading me? We go back a ways but I gotta say that I'm surprised this is such a sensitive issue with you. If my opponent's style of play, tactics or even attitude in AH really bothered me I'd have hit the road a long time ago. As it is I could care less. I may point out some things I find amusing ... to friend, "foe" or stranger but I don't really tell anyone how to play nor do I find it necessary to explain my own actions within the game ... as you are now doing.

I know how the game is played. I know how the roster works. I also know the numbers on the bottom fluctuate from one side to the other and even then don't fully reflect the situation at all. The roster numbers at the bottom don't really mean all that much when Joe is sitting in a tower eating a pizza and Fred is milkrunning a base in bumfugopia because he knows his limitations and George as driving a tank to a spawnpoint to camp out and Jack is leading his own personal assault of A69 and can't understand why everyone else is so interested in protecting A96. But when the lapmap at the base I'm at looks like the territory ten miles around my plane has the measles ... that has a definate connotation.

Still, if I have a squadie or friend nearby and we feel like defending `gainst the horde (at least until the situation becomes totally futile ... sometimes after) we dive into it with gusto and have fun anyway. Hell, I find it funny as hell when a player will see it's "unbalanced" by five or six or so in the CT (where numbers are generally much lower than the MA) and have a holy cow on channel one about it.

As far as the huge difference between the Rooks logging on in record numbers and swarming the MA map and players logging onto the CT server and swarming the base I'm furballing from is concerned ... I don't see it as clearly as you do. If you think that leaves me short a clue, hey ... fine by me, too. But it appears the same excuse you're using to justify "massive assault tactics" works for the Rooks in the MA, as well. So bringing it up as a topic to complain about rang silly given the circumstances it ended up causing in the CT when those frustrated from "denial of service" fled there (in spite of your assertions otherwise).

Now let me return the clue favor, bro.

I flew `gyptian all last night. Your being all defensive like is even more curious now. What gives? ;)

Offline 11dano11

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2004, 05:35:20 PM »
Karaya --"Now Now Children, this whole thread is a whine, has been a whine, and should cease to be a whine."--
Let me guess, Karaya.  Yer a Rook.  CAS.  Yup, Rook.

Grimm --"You get 1 night like every month or two and some folks just go to peices."
That must be how often you get up, Grimm, cuz this has been going on, and getting worse, every Sunday night for about the past 6 months.  We've pretty well kissed off our own Squad Night because of it.
--"I enjoy the cooperative play of an RJO, I know some dont, but I dont fault them for it."--
Yeah, I just bet you enjoy it.  It's not about cooperative play, Grimm.  It's about straight out numbers.
--"I had fun Sunday, and I found several really good fights. I even got a couple 1 v1 and 2v2 fights. My compliments to our advisaries that stayed and fought the difficult fight."--
Found a couple, did you?  Way the heck back by our rear fields, no doubt.  You should let us know where they are, cuz we never found any... at least none that stayed that way for any length of time.

And how patroniz... er... noble of you to compliment us, but it's a tad more than difficult.  We've been hanging around, fighting the good - albeit hopeless - fight for months.  But +100??  That's not a fight, that's simply being target drones for conga lines.  I'm sure you guys love it, but Sunday after Sunday after Sunday, we've simply had enough.  You can have the arena.

Offline Dawggus

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nightmares.org
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2004, 06:03:24 PM »
Hmm, Dano has a point about Sunday Nights recently.  For some reason, several large Rook Squads have Squad Night on Sunday Night, the COs know each other pretty well, and many times it turns into an unscheduled mini-RJO.  All this stuff goes in cycles, and I'm sure this too will pass.

I sure hope the Damned don't change Squad Nights, our Squadrons have been squaring off on Sundays for years between AW and AH, and I have a lot of respect for those guys :).  I remember a time in AW when the Cz really got their numbers run up (I think they were working with some RR Squads who came over on Sundays), and we were getting murdered!  It was tough going and I can appreciate what the Damned is going through, but that too passed eventually :).

Hang tough Dano, the worm will turn ;).

Cya Up!

Dawg

Offline 11dano11

• Zinc Member
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2004, 06:12:23 PM »
Arlo -- "Dano ... Dano ... Dano ... what's the deal here? You not reading me?"--
And you're not reading me, Arlo.  I've been flying sims -- AW, WB and now AH --  since about '94.  We used to love getting the Cz squads up for the occasional organized blowout every few months or so, just to piss off the Bz and Az.  

And I don't mind numbers.  Hell, the Knits are usually a bit outnumbered as it is, and I really think it's made us better because of it.  Again, last night the Rooks averaged about 10 to 15 more players than us and we took four of their fields while I was up.

And I'm not telling anyone how to play.  Gawd forbid.  What I am telling you is that Knit (I can't speak for the Bish) regulars who come up Sunday nights are getting more and more frustrated with what has become a regularly scheduled avalanche.  Heck, prior to last Sunday, I was with Toad.  I could take my pony up, and by VERY carefully picking my fights, could land 5, 6, 7 kill sorites.  Squad ops, on the other hand, are out of the question.  But +100, where ya gonna pick a fight?.
Still, if I have a squadie or friend nearby and we feel like defending `gainst the horde (at least until the situation becomes totally futile ... sometimes after) we dive into it with gusto and have fun anyway.
That's the point, Arlo.  We don't have a choice anymore on Sunday night.  You defend against the horde... which is totally futile... or you don't fly.

We have a saying in our squad. When it stops being fun, stop flying.  Well, Sunday nights have stopped being fun, so more and more of us will find other things to do -- make it a training night, go to the CT, or watch a movie, whatever.  And unfortunately, that will only make the Arena that much more lopsided.  

The Rooks can do whatever they like.  I'm just letting them know what the other side is increasingly thinking

Offline DEMAN

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/dthbr/
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2004, 06:16:39 PM »
Now this is getting sickening.
Our squad moved to AH from AW just over two years ago and just by luck of the draw we ended up Rooks. We were DRAMATICALLY outnumbered for at least 18 of the last 24 months and spent MANY nights (not just Sunday or RJO nights) getting gang banged by vastly superior numbers by both Nit and Bish who were racing each other to reset us. It even got to the point where squads like the AKs moved over to even the odds a little bit and I salute Curly for this gesture.
The guys that started the RJO (BFD, Ghostdancer, Pyro, etc)saw a need for Rooks to pull together to get us out of the gang banging problem and as a country we have worked hard to foster a feeling of friendliness and comradarie so people would want to be Rooks. What do you know... it worked and FINALLY we have squads moving here because of the hard work put in by a few.
We spent WAY more time with lower numbers online that you Dano and I don't remember whining like this from the Rook camp so maybe you would be better off working to strengthen  your own country rather than running from the MA when things got tough IMHO
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 06:27:41 PM by DEMAN »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2004, 06:22:16 PM »
maybe now that the rooks are "established"  all the squads that went rook to help them out should rotate back "home."

:D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798