Author Topic: Simple question about guns for non-Americans and people living outside the US.  (Read 5997 times)

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
Simple question about guns for non-Americans and people living outside the US.
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2004, 09:20:47 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
So continues, Beet1e's crusade to tell the US why they shouldn't have guns.  Carry on, tool.

Read the thread title. The only thing this has to do with the US is the fact that US people keep trying to tell the rest of the world why they should have gun laws (or lack thereof) like the US.

I personally don't care what the law in US is: I no longer live there and rarely visit anymore: it doesn't effect me.  What I don't want is to see the UK or Australia with the kind of gun culture that prevails in the US: I believe this would lead to more crime and make me and my family less safe and the figures are there to backup that opinion. Lasz and co. continually recommend US gun culture to the rest of us. This thread points out that most of us prefer the status quo in our countries.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 09:31:23 PM by Pei »

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2004, 09:36:12 PM »
Pei, yours is certainly an opinion I can respect.  However, to think that Beet1e didn't have the US specifically in mind when he started this thread, is naive.  Either you haven't seen his previous posts are you're ignoring the obvious.  He started it in hopes of "proving" his opinion that the US has too many guns and blahblahblah, and no doubt with the hope of baiting out Lazs and Rip ... I hope he gets a special feeling in his nether regions for my two posts too.  OTOH, Had you started this thread, I wouldn't have had a second thought about its intent.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2004, 09:48:58 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
Pei, yours is certainly an opinion I can respect.  However, to think that Beet1e didn't have the US specifically in mind when he started this thread, is naive.  Either you haven't seen his previous posts are you're ignoring the obvious.  He started it in hopes of "proving" his opinion that the US has too many guns and blahblahblah, and no doubt with the hope of baiting out Lazs and Rip ... I hope he gets a special feeling in his nether regions for my two posts too.  OTOH, Had you started this thread, I wouldn't have had a second thought about its intent.

I have to agree that I believe that beet1e is making a point about the US (or at least in his ongoing courtship with Lazs). However I think it is a bit rich for the likes of you and Rip to complain about it when the likes or Lazs, Rip and friends keep trying to tell the rest of the world that they should be just like the US: they are doing exactly what beet1e is doing (in the other direction).

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2004, 09:57:45 PM »
Rip I can't help you with, he's special - in that short bus kinda way.  Lazs, I think is simply reactionary on this subject...he's passionite about it, but were it not for prodding, I doubt he'd be weighing in on the subjet of other country's gun laws.  I could be wrong though, it has happened before...at least once, maybe twice. ;)
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2004, 01:40:59 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
{Freudian voice} "Ah, so now we come down to the reason for the troll, er post. To piss off Mr. Lazs...ve vill schedule you an appointment for you're U.S.A. envy tomorrow!"
LOL!  No, that was not the point of the thread. As I said in the title, I was interested in hearing from only non-Americans on this issue. And my question, which was "Would you like to see guns and gun ownership introduced to your country, guns to be made freely available at retail outlets, and for gun ownership by private citizens to be all but unrestricted, and guaranteed by contitutional right?". Nowhere in that question do I mention America in any way.

But the diehard pro-gun yanks just couldn't stay out of it. :rolleyes:

SOB - same goes for you when you said "So continues, Beet1e's crusade to tell the US why they shouldn't have guns." Erm... no - wrong on two counts. 1)There was no mention of the US in my initial post - except to say I was interested in only the views of those outside of it. 2)And I've never said that America should give up its guns. Read my comments on unilateral disarmament in Lazs's post.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2004, 08:37:46 AM »
even pei didn't understand your poll beetle... he thinks it is a poll to see if you are happy with your countries current firearms laws...

my poll actually asks the question he is answering not yours.

Justify giving up your rights any way you want but it all boils down to..... you gave em up for nothing and probly made things worse in the bargin.

lazs

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2004, 11:47:39 AM »
YES

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2004, 02:28:10 PM »
would that be yes to all 4 questions monk?

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2004, 05:31:29 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
even pei didn't understand your poll beetle... he thinks it is a poll to see if you are happy with your countries current firearms laws...  
Pei is not as stupid as you'd like to think he is, Lazs. He gave a perfectly valid answer to my original question in his first post. I had said that a YES/NO answer would have been adequate. Pei chose to expound a little, but that in no way invalidates his answer. I kept the question simple and invited a YES/NO response because I knew that the respondents would come from many different countries and that in many cases, English would not be the first langauge. So I tried to keep it simple! Were it not for all the unsolicited US responses, my contribution to this thread would have been limited to the first two posts in which I asked the questions, and then the summary post.

Hey Monk, thanks for reading. I'm afraid I must discount your vote on account of your nationality. I'm not sure what Lazs's comment was about; there were only two questions. Lazs gets a bit confused sometimes, and starts seeing double.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2004, 05:48:46 PM »
"Would you like to see guns and gun ownership introduced to your country, guns to be made freely available at retail outlets, and for gun ownership by private citizens to be all but unrestricted, and guaranteed by contitutional right?"

(1)  Would you like to see guns and gun ownership introduced to your country,

(2)  guns to be made freely available at retail outlets

(3)   for gun ownership by private citizens to be all but unrestricted,

(4)   and guaranteed by contitutional right?

maybe I am confused but it is by your doing a poll with four seperate questions and you calling it two.  Even two is one to many for a poll if they are not either/or (which none in your poll are)

#1 asks if you would like gun ownership inrtroduced in your country... #2 asks if you would like for guns to be sold at retail outlets...

#3 asks yet another question... about having gun ownership "all but unrestricted" and....

#4 asks if you would like gun ownership by citizens to be guarenteed by your countries constitution.

all completely different questions with  a myriad of possible answers... a simple yes or no to all four as a group would denote some smalll to very extreme amount of fanatisism on the part of the responder or.... stupidity (if you insist).

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2004, 06:02:19 PM »
Geez, Lazs - you really do have a hard on for this thread. Go and have a five knuckle shuffle or something.

That's not four questions. You're a dolt. It's a single question in which multiple conditions are linked by words like "and", "or" to describe an overall scenario. In mathematics, by the way,  those links are known as Booleans - look it up: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=boolean

And don't post back till after your five knuckle shuffle. I guess that will give us all a four minute breather from your idiotic posts. :lol

As for me, I'm going to bed.
Toodle-Pip!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 06:22:05 PM by beet1e »

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
PS
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2004, 06:04:25 PM »
I know you don't drink, so you won't know this. But a whisky and soda is not two separate drinks. :rofl :aok

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2004, 06:08:42 PM »
even you are confused it seems... first it was 2 questions to you and now it is a "single" question?

it's four completely different questions.  Not a single and not 2

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2004, 04:40:52 AM »
Keep scraping away in that barrel of semantics, Lazs. You'll be in China before you know it. When you get there, don't forget to drive on the left. :lol

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: February 29, 2004, 07:09:47 PM »
punt - for Nuke/Lasz et al, who seem intent on discussing this thread in a different thread.