Author Topic: A Proposal  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
A Proposal
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2000, 10:48:00 AM »
The score page rankings do NOT show who the best pilot is...NO WAY!

They show who has found a ride they like and have the time to fly it.

Skill IS important but it is also the ride.

Hell the #2 ranked pilot is a buff pilot so does that mean he can out fly me in a fighter?..no it means he is a good buff pilot..prolly flies high where fighters have problems chasing him or he flies in a group.

I bet if I flew only c-47s for the next tour that I would be at the top of the rankings.

Not because I'm a great pilot but because I know I get more points by capturing bases or buffing or even driving a tank.

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals
"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Cleaner

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.msn.com
A Proposal
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2000, 11:15:00 AM »
Geesh, I think I am ranked somewhere in the 700+ range. I fly nothing but a Yak-9, just love that bird. All I can say is you may kill me, But I gonna make you work like hell to do it...  

AKSeaWulfe

A Proposal
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2000, 11:16:00 AM »

Originally posted by Mighty1:

They show who has found a ride they like and have the time to fly it.

Skill IS important but it is also the ride.

So wait a second. I've flown a goon 5 times. I've buffed 4 times. I've jaboed a dozen times this tour. Most my time I spend in fighters. Not any one ride. So you are telling me I have the time to learn one ride and my skill is only good in that one ride? Sorry dude, that's incorrect. For me anyway. I fly planes from all over the spectrum. P38(ooo that's a FUN plane!), 190A5(for Torque hunting :-), 109F4 when I want to work on my aim(it's freaking amazing in the right hands), C205(_WOW_), P51(not much though, I like to stay in the fight), and well I've flown just about every plane in the game in the MA. Do you consider Hblair good? Do you consider him better than me? I'm just curious is all. Everyone who has said people in the top 10 weren't good pilots or whatever are passing judgement based on a bias thinking that if you are high up in the score ladder you must NOT be good. Ironically you nor Fishu have fought me, and you are passing judgement on my abilities?

Careful people, I really suck. So says people who haven't fought me. Watch out if you get in the top 10 on the score page, you immediately gain the title of a "sucky pilot". :-)
-AK(I really suck now)SeaWulfe

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
A Proposal
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2000, 11:35:00 AM »
I'd like to see this proposal take place.  I agree the scoring system does not truely indicate who are the best pilots but I feel the planes that the best players fly have a lot to do with their skill.  I also feel it would show who's better at dueling 1vs1 versus vulch scoring. The plane DOES matter IMHO.

If I understand your rules AKcurly I just might take your bet!    Of course I wont be flying in it, I fly all planes equaly bad!  

So how about it all you Aces?

Mox

[This message has been edited by Mox (edited 08-24-2000).]

eskimo

A Proposal
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2000, 12:28:00 PM »
AKcurly's idea of a poll would work well.  Everyone could submit a list of who they think are the best pilots in AH.  Submit a list of the 10 guys who regularly kick your butt (or save your butt, if they are on you side).  Results could be tallied. We would also have to chose 10 better than average pilots to fly the "uber" planes.

As far as the score system being porked, it is only 1/2 so.  Better pilots tend to gravitate towards the top.  The key word is: tend.  
Only 30% of the total score is helped by playing alot (fighter points, bomber points and base captures).  Not sucking, or ignoring, one or two of the 10 score categories helps ones score more than doing very well in one or two of them.  The score system reflects well rounded pilots, not just good fighter pilots.  
Jabo, tank and M-16 sorties also kill ones score.  RTB is very important to bomber score categories, but not as critacal to fighter score categories.  
K/D ratio alone isn't a great measure of pilot skill.  Many pilots fly with different attitudes at different times.  Some very good pilots are willing to repetedly attempt take off from a vulched field.  Others only look for vulch opportunities and tend not to stray from a pack of friendlies.  Some fly to kill and live one sortie, and Kamakazi-jabo the next.

I didn't mean for my responce to start a bash the score system thread.  It is much greater system than the "other" game/s.  The best thing about the score system, is that it encourages anyone who cares about thier score to do something other than fly fighter sorties (Can you think of another way?).  Believe it or not, fighter VS. fighter gets old after awhile.  Having more bombers, base captures and strategic objectives makes this game interesting, and more fun!  

eskimo

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
A Proposal
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2000, 01:36:00 PM »
 I you really care about this ego stuff. The ladder is there. Thats about as fair a fight as your gonna get in a sim.

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
A Proposal
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2000, 02:18:00 PM »

Originally posted by easymo:
I you really care about this ego stuff. The ladder is there. Thats about as fair a fight as your gonna get in a sim.

I agree but it does not show how/if the plane makes the difference.  

Maybe we should look at the ladder to select the top pilots that will fly the 202... just a thought.

I'm not interested in this proposal for the "ego's",(this game needs no more ego's!) I'm just curious if flying a certain plane really makes that big of a difference.  I'm consistantly amazed at the moves certain pilots pull off in a certain plane and very curious to see if it's the plane or if it's the pilots or truely a combination of both.

Now that I think about this, it would really be a challenge to those top pilots that fly the 202 in a test like this.  Not sure if it would be fun for them though...  

Mox

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
A Proposal
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2000, 03:04:00 PM »
I'm not big on anything that involves "voting for the best" of anything.  Its way too subjective and virtually impossible to guage.

It would be like saying the best pilot in WWII was the one that got the most kills.

Also... it inevitably turns out to be a popularity contest.

I only know who the better pilot in the arena is... the guy that just shot me down.

AKDejaVu

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
A Proposal
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2000, 03:10:00 PM »
I agree with eskimo as I'm sure most here do. Flying fighter vs fighter can get old after a while.

Organized flying with specific goals/mission is a lot more fun. I especially enjoy the weekly squad nights of the AKs. We do something different every time and it has been a blast.  

Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

eskimo

A Proposal
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2000, 03:15:00 PM »
Popularity would be an issue, and some frail egos may be crushed if they weren't sellected, but who cares?  We certainly could find 10 of the best AH pilots via a poll and test AKcurly's idea.

BTW, who the heck is Ypsilon?  He always leads the K/D ratio by a wide margin, yet I don't recall ever running into him.  I know he flies the stang, but is he really good, or just pretty good and very cautious?  Either way <S> to him.

eskimo

Nath-BDP

A Proposal
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2000, 03:31:00 PM »
Umm Ypsilon has like 58 sorties and 38 kills... not hard to do, you just need the patience.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
A Proposal
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2000, 03:34:00 PM »
A fellow knight has a film of him alt-f4 ing to avoid a fight where he was at a disadvantage.

Don't <S> him he is a skilless dweeb.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
A Proposal
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2000, 03:54:00 PM »
If you want 10 good pilots, just snag the top 10 on the ladder...you may miss a few who don't fly there, but I think that's a pretty good representation.  I wouldn't get your bottom rung guys from the ladder tho'.  They're all FDBs and probably couldn't care less about this  

I don't think that this type of 'contest' is going to enlighten anyone who's already made up their mind.  All planes have strengths and weaknesses.  A good pilot learns to harness the potential of his ride, whatever that ride might be.  Sure a plane with more strengths than other rides might give that pilot an advantage, but that pilot will get shot out of the sky when he meets another good pilot harnessing the strengths of a plane that can prey on his plane's weaknesses.

*Disclaimer: SOB represents neither of the pilots in the above paragraph  
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
A Proposal
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2000, 04:21:00 PM »
whoa!<takes step back ..re-reads post>

AKSeaWulfe no where in my post did I say you were a bad pilot nor did I say anyone in the top 10 were. I only said that <as brief as I could since I'm at work > the people in the top 10 are not necessarily the BEST pilots.

I don't mean to sound degrading but I've seen to many people reach the the top 10 who only fly 1 AC<normally a uberplane..you know a spit or 1c> and fly 2+ hours every day.

I guess my point is that you don't have to be a great pilot to be ranked high.

I apologize if I have some how offended you..that was not my intention.

I know you are a good pilot ..I've flown with you and against you for a long time.

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals
"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

eskimo

A Proposal
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2000, 04:24:00 PM »
An Alt-F4 in flight counts as a disco.
A disco counts as 1/2 of a death to the K/D computer.
I just checked the stats on Ypsilon, here are his discos for the past few tours(fighters-bombers):

Tour 7 0-1
Tour 6 0-0
Tour 5 0-4
Tour 4 3-5
Tour 3 0-0

13 discos in 5 months, I wish my connect was that good.  I'm not saying that he didn't Alt-F4 (like I said I don't think I have ever run into him), but I doubt that it is a habit of his.

This tour so far he has 65 kills in 51 sorties, no bails captures or deaths.  I still think that's quite a feat, and I doubt that many could match it.  I certainly wouldn't say that it's easy to do.
I respect all modes of flying in this game, each to their own.  I bet he is into realism, ie: flying as if he only has 1 life.  That's cool by me, sounds like a heck of a challenge.  If he isn't one of the "uber" pilots in this game, then that must make it even more of a challenge.

eskimo