Author Topic: A Proposal  (Read 2424 times)

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
A Proposal
« on: August 24, 2000, 02:42:00 AM »
I have long believed there are no uber planes in the arena -- just uber pilots.  I would like to propose a simple test to prove the point.

Take the pilots who are ranked 1 through 10 and the pilots who are ranked 91 through 100.  Let each pilot who is ranked 1 through 10 fly against each pilot who is ranked 91 through 100 exactly one time.  There are 100 such pairings.  We're talking about 100 fights.  It wouldn't take very long since we could have 10 fights going on at once (at different fields.)

The top 10 pilots would all fly C 202s and the 91 through 100 guys would be permitted to choose one plane for all of their ten fights, preferably one of the so-called uber planes [p47, 190a5, 109-g10.]

When it's all said and done, we could count the number of kills recorded by each of the top ten pilots.

I'll bet dollars to donuts the top 4 or 5 guys don't lose a fight.

It's the pilot, guys, not the plane.  Heh, I don't imagine this would resolve a single issue, but it sure would be fun to watch.  

AKcurly

eskimo

A Proposal
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2000, 02:55:00 AM »
I have been "ranked" #1 overall a couple of times.  I can attest that there are at least a few dozen guys, not neccesaraly "ranked" high, that can whip my butt in any almost aircraft pairing.

eskimo

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
A Proposal
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2000, 05:20:00 AM »
I agree with Eskimo, scores does not tell the whole truth.

I've known and fought with many who are not even within top 50, but are far greater than pilots within top 10, what comes to skills and not to score hunger.

Whos good, has many definitions.
One might say that survival shows good pilot, one might say that who takes down 6 on 1 most of their enemies is good even though he dies during that and then one might say that someone is good who has got alot kills just by shooting planes taking off, because he has alot kills.. etc. etc.

I have never believed myself in score tables due to these reasons, because those tells just statistics, not the whole truth.

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
A Proposal
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2000, 06:17:00 AM »
Apart that-you are only on the top of the list if you fly Bombers,fighters and goons.

I wont be in the top scores anyway, but I will never be because I dont like buffing, and so I WONT buff to raise my score  

So, #91-100 can be (some ARE  ) better than the #1-#10.

The only score I consider worth a looking is the K/D ratio, and not by much. Scores only tell what one wants them to tell.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
A Proposal
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2000, 07:45:00 AM »
I spent 2 weeks playing for score once.

BORING!!!!!!

Landing every time I got a kill & flying far from the furballs (so I could escape) Lots of tank & bomber time and spent one day doing nothing but fly c47's & M3's.

After half a tour I was in top 50, proved the only thing I wanted to prove. That I could make the top 50 if I tried.

Been there done that have NO desire to do it again. Screw score, lets have FUN!

As to the "challenge" above, while I agree with your basic idea. I do think that each of the top ten guys would likely lose one or fights. I agree however that they'd come out overall winners.

It's the pilot not the plane!

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
A Proposal
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2000, 07:48:00 AM »
RAM,
I buff to help out my team.  

Cobra

Offline Kaitsu

• Copper Member
      • http://www.kolumbus.fi/kai.tormanen
A Proposal
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2000, 07:51:00 AM »
Hi,

I'm current ranked 6th and when looking who are currently ranked 90th-100th... pls don't put me in 202 and tell me to kill them in their favourite plane!  

My ranking is high because I buff or goon when it is neccessary. My K/D is high because I try not to get in trouble and I love vulching.  

Kaitsu

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
A Proposal
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2000, 07:52:00 AM »
Hehe Ghost, that reminds me of my squaddie DMF, whose favorite line is "You guys go ahead and RTB, I'll keep fighting until I die or run out of fuel or ammo".

And he does just that.

One time, about a month ago, he rtb with us "Just to see how it feels to land in AH!"

LOL!  

------------------
P/O banana
XO 308(Polish) Sqn "City of Cracow" RAF

Multi-Frame Events Team Lead, Aces High Scenario Corps.

"Look at me when I HO you!"

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
A Proposal
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2000, 08:33:00 AM »
Maybe the way to select candidates for the top ten spots would be by poll.  All of us know who the good pilots are and I suspect we could correctly identify them.  I agree, pilot score doesn't tell the complete story.

AKcurly

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
A Proposal
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2000, 08:40:00 AM »
DMF sounds like my kind of guy  

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
A Proposal
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2000, 09:02:00 AM »
If we take the time to select the top 10 uber pilots... we might as well just ban THEM

Banning Torque alone would aleviate most of the "uber cannon hog" debates

AKDejaVu

Offline indian

• Copper Member
A Proposal
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2000, 09:12:00 AM »
I dont care about score have no gaol to meet just want to have fun!!!  

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
Indians Home page were links to help pages can be found.
Indian's Homepage

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
A Proposal
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2000, 10:21:00 AM »
What??!!

They keep score??

Hot Damn!!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
A Proposal
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2000, 10:27:00 AM »
Hey, I don't want to ban Torque.  He's the only top pilot I've downed.

He was coming up fast behind my Tiffie in an F4U-1C (surprized what he was flying, aren't you  ) and I decided that my only chance was to haul my big, unmanueverble kite around and HO him.  I managed to do it and we were both destroyed in the hail of Hispano shells.    Two kites, each with 4 Hispano IIs, Head Oning each other = Confetti.

I've been shot down my Mitsu once and by Citibria twice.  

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DR00

• Zinc Member
A Proposal
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2000, 10:43:00 AM »
As the rankest pilot in AH (101 where the list only goes to 100) I say "dunt matta".
This game is like golf (which I also suck at)
You make you're choice, plan a strategy of attack, get out foxed and learn something for next time.