Author Topic: Why Do you Fly Aces High?  (Read 2003 times)

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Why Do you Fly Aces High?
« on: February 26, 2000, 04:58:00 AM »
 I don`t go to AGW much anymore as I prefer the Aces High communities "spirit"   much more than the frequent flame wars and mean-spiritedness that seems to be the norm over there in the last year or so. I read a few threads about players leaving Warbirds. http://agw.dogfighter.com/agw/Forum3/HTML/010813.html
In particular it seems there`s a LW exodus occuring at this time and I`m wondering if these players are coming to fly Aces High or just fading away. Since a lot of pilots are using different handles than they did in other sims it`s hard to judge which sim they previously flew. So how about it,care to respond with your true reasons for coming to Aces High-and PLEASE don`t use this thread for flames and bashing on the other sims or players who are staying in Warbirds,Fighter Ace II,or Air Warrior3. I`m genuinely curious as to your reasons for prefering Aces High over the competitors products.

------------------

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by weazel (edited 02-26-2000).]

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2000, 05:36:00 AM »
I have had Inet connection since December...I started playing Falcon 4 online, but then somebody told me about Wb...and I downloaded it and took a look offline. I have also connected online in the 2.75 beta arena.

Then someone told me about AH. I downloaded it also and also took a look offline. In both I had the same problem...I couldn't take off! lol.

Aces High is much more playable than Wb. Much more resolution,much better graphics. And the head position changes makes it much better.
I've gone back and probed Wb again after playing Aces High, and I lasted only 5 minutes there. there is no colour ,Aces High is a much better Sim in the 1.03 version than Wb on 2.75...

and I say that even when Wb HAS fw190A-4

------------------
Ram, out

JG2 "Richthofen"

AborT

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2000, 06:14:00 AM »
I agree about AH commun. spirit, but since the "open beta" has ended, i've got no chance to play. Bying credit cards in Russia is suicide. I've got money, but i can't spend it the way i want to. If i could pay for AH memb-shp, as i pay for I-net...  
AH freehost is coming btw...

------------------
-=+ AborT +=-
25IAP(VVS)

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2000, 06:17:00 AM »
Because AH is the first remotely affordable arena-based WWII sim that I like (mentioning no other game names  

Plus, the view and zoom system is almost identical to Fighter Squadron, only without the padlock, and therefore pretty fantastic.

And several of my squadmates from the beta were staying on, the Typhoon and Lancaster on the horizon, what other choice could I have? Wait for the 1944 WWII Online beta?  

I don't think Aces High is even at release version quality yet, with several missing features and many less aircraft than other sims, but I enjoyed the beta loads and I'm enjoying this even more.

Plus, I can run it at 1152x864 res with 20+ fps. After the horrible 3D engines of certain other sims this is pretty nice  

Head position changes are one of the best parts too.

------------------

[This message has been edited by -duma- (edited 02-26-2000).]

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2000, 06:22:00 AM »
AH's FLight model plain and simple rocks!

I've flown WB alittle but didn't like the FM too much even tho it's (was   ) considered to be the most realistic .. i'm flying in RL and i couldn't really see that.

Now i tried AH because it was free, and only a small download .. and i was blown away!

Great FM, Updates and info coming very regularely and it's a sim where i could participate from (allmost) hour 1  

I'm hooked!

And now that i havemy beloved HOGi'll never leave  

------------------

Phillip "Duckwing6" Artweger
Flight Officer "E" Flight
Skeleton Crew

[This message has been edited by Duckwing6 (edited 02-26-2000).]

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2000, 06:38:00 AM »
Came from DOS AW to WB to AH, and prefer AH for:

New stuff all the time.
Superior graphics.
FUN community.
Developers who love the game.
New stuff to learn.
Great view system and FM.

Last...but not least....

I can SEE THE ICONS!  

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2000, 06:55:00 AM »
I have played about all the piston engined sims out there, on and offline. To some degree I liked them all. I spent the most time with WB and DoA. DoA is/was, prior to coming here, easily the best group of guys I'd met online. I'd still be there too if the connection problems there hadn't run me out.

With no other alternative I tried AH, and was hooked. I have been here ever since, and barring some unforseen event (connect quality?) I will remain here (blindly brand loyal   ).

AborT-

AH freehost is coming btw...

I don't think you want to go down this path, and the ramifications for all are more than you may think...

[This message has been edited by Kieren (edited 02-26-2000).]

Offline -raxx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2000, 07:06:00 AM »
My reasons are all of the above and ...

Connects to WB suck bigtime since the move to North Carolina.

Service went to crapola at WB and from what I've seen recently with friends in WB squads it hasn't improved.

I got involved with the closed beta testing in Aces High, (Alpha testing?), and wrote some of the FAQ so I've got a personal involvement, (and bias =).

It seems like every couple of weeks something new arrives in AH, (new planes, new maps and the developers answer queries on the bulliten board).  What's been new in WB in the last 6 months?  About 5 revisions of the IEN Kernel, a new bomber, they still haven't got the ammunition and damage effects correct and last week Hotseat announced that the Head to Head was going to halt development at ver 2.74.

Mostly I left because of the sense of community.  In this bulliten board if a message has more than 5 replies I tend to look at it because there are points of view being expressed in an adult manner.  On AGW or the WB boards anything with more than 5 replies is a flame war.

Oops almost fergot the cost.  It costs me NZ$60 a month to fly and get a ranking in the top 20 pilots, (yeah I know my score has slipped this tour coz I've had tonsilitis and not flown that much).  To achieve the same in warbirds I have to spend over NZ$300 a month.

Simple really.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2000, 07:06:00 AM »
Weazel-

You are a moderator now! Congrats!

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2000, 07:07:00 AM »
AH freehost?

HTC is going to be offering that anyway...  

funked

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2000, 07:08:00 AM »
I have flown in Warbirds since 1996.  I spent a LOT of money.

Since 1997 (when WB 2.01 was released) there has been very little progress made on improving the game.  A lot of changes have been made but they are mostly "one step forward, two steps backward."  For instance, the minimum computer is now a P266 instead of a P200 or so, but there has been no increase in graphics quality!

Aces High gives me about 99% of the fun for about 25% of the price in my case.  And I see a lot of progress being made on increasing that 99% figure.  

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2000, 07:40:00 AM »
left AW for WB about 0.95 version,left WB at V2.0 not really flawed but too pricey for me at the time and the community was turning ugly,plus I don't care for corperate biz models,saw enough of that in AW (RR anyone?)
gotta get a few more hospital bills out of the way before I reappear here (and somwhere else) but the community is good here, aside from the odd ugly that pops up (no names folks, that's how you get things mean quick)
plus I like the guys making this sim, They play it, I put a lot of faith in a guy who likes his work that much.

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2000, 07:49:00 AM »
I started this whole online flight sim addiction with WB, back during the ICI days (wasn't part of the original player base, though).  I always felt personally that the best of WB was the result of Hitech & Pyro.  When they left I was really bummed out, eventually dropping my account with WB.  Then, when I heard about Aces High, and that it was the result of HT and Pyro, I immediately made my way here.  I play AH, because of the people who make the game go.

------------------
leonid, Komandir
5 GIAP VVS RKKA

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."
ingame: Raz

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2000, 07:59:00 AM »
Please don`t respond to the "FREEHEIST"   comment above,this subject has no place in the forum-get em HTC!

------------------

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by weazel (edited 02-26-2000).]

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2000, 08:13:00 AM »
 I quit WB last august, 4 months after becoming a trainer. In other words I quit WB when all I had to do is train 3 or 4 hours a week and have it FREE.  I won't go into the reasons, but suffice it to say it was the "new managment"  and where I saw them taking the game that caused me to leave.

I got lucky and the same day I quit WB pyro hired on a bunch of new alpha testers and I was one of them    That was version .27 i think.  

I fly AH because I know the creators (saw HT and Superfly just last saturday   )and I know they are committed to putting out a realistic FM and a quality product.  They are also committed to hard work which is why I know they will succeed.

To all the new guys out there,  stick around you'll be suprised at how much you learn.  Not just about ACM, but about physics, internet technology, all kinds of stuff exspecialy SHEEEEEEEEEP  

Udie