Author Topic: WARNING! Volatile subject within. Enter at your own risk! You've been warned!  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member

One reason Hitler rose to power was the economics of post WW1 germany.  Inflation was so bad that it actually took a wheelbarrow of Marks to purchase a loaf of bread!  The country was in a shambles after WW1 for many reasons, one of which was the Versailles treaty!  Wilson of the good ole US of A my home, <G> did not want to be to harsh on the germans so they might rebuild their infrastructure etc.  Not the Military, he just wanted peace (Hence the League of Nations idea) He wanted them to be able to rebuild so they could support themselves.  The french however had other ideas, and wished to extract "More then there pound of flesh"!  The reparations Germany had top pay for their transgressions during WW1 were absolutely ridiculous!  In order to pay them (to make this easy) and operate their economy, rebuild their country  (feed it) they didn't have the money.....so they printed more!  This drove the value of the Mark so low ,that inflation ran rampant!  It did actually at one point take a wheelbarrow load of Marks to purchase a single loaf of bread!  Thus comes Herr Hitler, whose psychological rebuilding of the German Psyche was outstanding!  He was astute to the uses of propaganda, and brute force.  He put people back to work rebuilding the military, made the rich german industrialists richer which pleased them very much!  And one can figure it out from here.  Two main reasons why WW2 occured.

1) Harsh reparations from the versailles Treaty
2)  Hitler just happened to be in the vicinty at this point in time in history.  Point 1 was reality.....point 2 was the worlds misfortune

Hajo Out

Originally posted by BotaBing:
Not to simply play devil's advocate, but, I've been thinking a lot about the original post and have the following to offer...

#1 - I believe that one reason why some people seemingly 'worship' the German LuftWaffe pilots is because of the culture in present-day America, not the culture in WWII Germany.
      There are many similarities between the adoration and reverence shown LW pilots and the attention and fanaticism shown for modern American professional athletes. Regardless of what you believe or know about someone personally, there is a part of American culture that separates moral judgment from objective respect and admiration for people who are the best at what they do.
     How many modern-day athletes can you name who are unbelievably gifted and talented at their chosen sport, but whose personal lives are so twisted and pathetic that you would not let that person date your own daughter. Again and again, the newspaper headlines sport references to the latest athlete to be convicted of spousal abuse, armed robbery, drug trafficking, hate crimes, etc, etc, etc. Yet, that same athlete will be fighting off scores of fans at the next game who are lined up seeking autographs.
    Americans are adept at separating their own moral convictions from their respect and awe for the best of the best.
    That said, many people would argue that pound for pound, there has never been a collection of aircraft fighter pilots like the German LW. The highest kill records in the history of aviation belong to LW pilots. There are many reasons why, but the bottom line is that they were probably the best.
    Some people have awe and respect for German LW pilots just like some others still ask OJ Simpson for his autograph.

#2 - Another reason for the worship of the LW pilots is less complicated, and less perplexing. The anti-social anarchist troll boy.
     Some people know that German Nazis were so evil, so incredibly unholy that to do anything similar to praising them or worshiping them will cause people to become upset and angry.
     Simply put...some people glorify Nazi German, LW pilots, in order to get a rise out of the rest of us.

#3 - Mystery.
  In my book, I am fascinated by Nazi Germany for one simple reason - mystery. How on earth could such a group of modern thinking, educated people be lured and drawn into Hitler's sick twisted plot? What is it about them that is different from me? Could it happen again?
  German pilots...some with kill scored of 200+, 300+, flew their planes with a sense of mission and purpose that is hard to fathom. The black-leather wearing Nazi fighter pilots, flying in tight formation saying their "Heil Hitler" and "This is for the father-land" are simply stupifying.
  There are very few categories of people in the history of combat that hold such an infamous position. The Japanese Zero pilots. The Nazi fighter pilots. Several of the Native American tribes known and feared for their ferocious style of war. The Spartans, The Mongol Hordes, etc.
   Sociologically, they are fascinating and that is probably why some people seem to worship them. I doubt its worship, its probably more accurate to say they are simply fascinated.

- The Flying Circus -

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member

Originally posted by StSanta:

I'd fly a Spit to stop bombing of Londong  

But Lord HaHa would have got on the radio and called you a SpitDweeb  

Cobra

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Suave,

To answer your reply above regarding the state today of Iraq, Kuwayt, etc...

Don't they show you on CNN how many poeple (I'm talkin' children, old men, etc...) are dying everyday, Today because of the embargo ?

Hussein did an "armed robery" & was dealt with. I agree, it had to be done...but there is something wrong, in the sense that this is lasting a little too long...

Wingnut,

I recall being in the Millitary (centuries ago   ). Belgium is a "peacefull country" (Meaning, it's been over 50 years that nobody knocked on our doors with a gun). But I do remember spending countless hours in my "hole" or even back in the Barracks, thinking : "would I be able to shoot that rifle at someone" (shootin, bein' One of the things you "can" do, while in a wartime situation...you get the point.). It is , indeed, a "rough" question to answer. I probably would have done it, but not in the mind of being a "Merc".

<S!>

Saw

Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
LOL Cobra

The horror!

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
WARNING! Volatile subject within. Enter at your own risk! You've been warned!
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2000, 04:33:00 AM »
The best IMO were the CANUCKS there in 39’. We had NO draft in Canada they were all volunteers (biggest non-conscription army in WWII). These guys were 10,000 miles away from any war yet they gave their lives by choice, no one forced them to participate. Who landed more troops per capita and penetrated the farthest on D-day<cough> Johnny Canuck did!!(ops off topic)
btw the pop of Canada back then was a mere 14 million.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
WARNING! Volatile subject within. Enter at your own risk! You've been warned!
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2000, 11:15:00 PM »
Amen Torque