Author Topic: Exodus?  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
Exodus?
« on: May 30, 2001, 02:35:00 PM »
Some go without a word, some go with anger and some go with class.

The problem is they seem to be going faster lately.

I have noticed for the first time today that new players numbers are over 2,000 but I also noticed that of 90 players in the arena 30 of them have numbers over 1,000.

I also noticed that solid numbers in the main seem to be stuck around 150-200.

Is this a good sign after more than a year?

I am seriously looking for reasons to keep supporting AH, it does a lot of things very well but, all the new additions notwithstanding, it seems to be stagnating.

As AH stands it is sufficient for many here and there will always be a core of satisfied customers but if that core does not grow the game will die.

Strat gamers and WWII flightsimmers seem dissatisfied, as do many seeking early war adventures and more historic matchups, but we are a minority and possibly of no account in HTCs grand scheme.

Two weekers come hot and heavy each new release then most seem to go away.

A new map tommorrow may help but HTC is locked into CV maps now and so far there are only 2, each with fans and those who dislike them.

I am not trying to get any disagreements going here, I am just hoping HTC has something up its sleeve and that they pull it out SOON.

------------------
When did they put this thing in here and WTF is it for?

SeaWulfe

Exodus?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2001, 02:42:00 PM »
I dunno what they got up their sleeves but I gots a big surprise in my pants.. now don't make me whip it out!!!

I mean.....
-SW

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Exodus?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2001, 02:52:00 PM »
  SW

I think it's just AH burnout or their wives/girlfriends are withholding ..

This is really a piss poor topic considering all the work and effort HT and co put into 1.07, the best update yet in my opinion!
I think it'll shine when we get a real map going, i.e. the islands.

Eagler

[This message has been edited by Eagler (edited 05-30-2001).]
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
Exodus?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
As an ongoing, ever evolving game, there will always be those that will leave.  As with so many things, it is the minority that becomes a perminent fixtures, while most come and go and then come again.  I have had at least 5 accounts since the beta, but I never stay gone for long.

The few that have left in the past few months have left for many different reasons, and some will surely come back.  WW2OL will take a bite for at least a short while, as will any other major release of an online sim that has overlapping interest with AH.  I have taken looks at all the other offerings, and so far AH is still the best game in town for me.  

Offline Professor Fate

• Copper Member
Exodus?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2001, 03:21:00 PM »
I up and left AH about a month ago I really needed some time off and thats what I took.  Well, I'm back now and I must say things are much better, my advice is take a break there's plenty of other sims out there that will make ya miss Aces High there's nothing else like it.

I AM PROFESSOR FATE!

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Exodus?
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2001, 03:26:00 PM »
I think they call that "Illusions of Grandeur" SW, or was that the Mr. T persona talking?  

Edited for spelling, grammar, syntax and claustrophobia.

[This message has been edited by aztec (edited 05-30-2001).]

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Exodus?
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2001, 03:44:00 PM »
Sunchaser,

Churn is a normal function of the net and society in general. Some leave as they can't handle the learning curve. Others go as they have "mastered" playing the game and no longer see any challenges. This may account for the majority of the old heads leaving. I think there is a "boredom" factor here.

There have been changes and mods to the game. Not very many have impacted the way that it is played however. Sure we have some new planes and boats but nothing has required a major change in how players play the game. Moving a hanger to avoid easy field kills is nice. Adding new planes is nice too but after the initial enthusiastic trial of the equipment, it's back to business as usual. Most are still flying what they were before in the manner they were flying before. If the new equipment is perked many will simply have to wait to use it or will use it sparingly also adding to the feeling of ennui in the game.

I have stopped flying the MA almost entirely as I find myself having to read during the climbs to avoid boredom. Now If I have to entertain myself while doing something to entertain myself it tells me there is something missing. I think it's the same for many "old heads". They got to a high state of skill but where is the challenge? If there is nothing that makes a substantive change in game play, or how most of not all play the game, it remains the same old feeling and actions. In plain language, boring.

I lack the talent to predict or suggest where the game should go but I hope they make a change soon that means a real change in the game play. It has got to be more than just eye candy or an incremental equipment update to keep the game fresh. A new "world" or new plane / veh set would likely help. With two tired maps there is little to modify how you deal with the game.

Don't get me wrong, I still support HTC, the game and want to play. Otherwise I'd have cancelled my account already. (I can use the money elsewhere quite badly) I just hope it changes or when I find even the TA or dueling arena's no longer fun I'll drop out of the game.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Exodus?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2001, 04:16:00 PM »
What keeps me interested is the people.. the FDB's are about as entertaining as people come, good sticks and they flat refuse to let idiots, chan 1 obnoxiom or bored pilots lessen their dogged pursuit of a kills, captures, flamed chutes or naked sheep.

Ever.

Thanks *sniff* you buncha drunken slobs... fer giving me 45 minutes with Fattys Mom (my keys are still in there btw) and some decent belly laughs every time I fly.

The resta u guys.. stop taking this sim so seriously. Yer here fer entertainment.. so entertain yerselves! (mason, put that thing back in yer pants)

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Exodus?
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2001, 05:00:00 PM »
WTFG hang, ya got tears all backed up in my...awww WTF am i saying.

i need a fresh beer now. dag-nabit...

and some wings  

------------------
Mason  Fat Drunk (chute shooting) Bastards  -- "shut up and FLY"

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Exodus?
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2001, 07:28:00 PM »
besides, it's summer, the traditional "low season" for online sims.
Dinger (taking a break himself from AH, btw).

Offline BBGunn

• Zinc Member
Exodus?
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2001, 08:32:00 PM »
I agree with Maverick on this one.

Offline Yoda

• Zinc Member
Exodus?
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2001, 09:59:00 PM »
"Always in motion is the future."

------------------
May the Force be with you.
Jedi Master

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Exodus?
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2001, 11:13:00 PM »
It is the nature of the beast.  If most people never quit, there would probably be no AH.  HT would have probably already retired a wealthy man for life from his first endevour with ICI.  Looks can also be deceiving.  There does seem to be a certain irony in the burnout that multiple visible people seem to hit simultaneously and what happens with our true numbers.

Although it would probably be wiser to say otherwise, I've been a player on the burnout side and stepping away from the game is a good thing(at least from the player's perspective).  Although I would first recommend changing your routine and trying some different things outside of your normal routine in the game.  If that doesn't help, try again later, the game is always progressing.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
Exodus?
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2001, 12:36:00 AM »
Well, here's my $.02.

Been here since open beta.  My time online has been lower since Spring.  Getting into the Summer routine has lessened my "online time". Ya know, mowing the estate grounds and home maintenance.

I have been very surprised that such a short period of time has passed since the last release that complaining has started. Usually there is at least two weeks before the whines start. They seem to have started right away this time!!!  

There is so much in this game that I can't see anyone getting bored.  All ya have to do is move to other aspects of the game if you get frustrated with one aspect.

I think we have been spoiled here too!!  The connection has always been outstanding.  Customer service has been one of the key areas that HTC has made an effort that is well above any other company I have dealt with.

I'm still a happy customer  There is a lot here we take for granted and will not see in other sims we may move to.  Sure it isn't perfect, but very close to perfect

Offline Nomde

• Nickel Member
      • Web Master
Exodus?
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2001, 12:44:00 AM »
IMHO,
I have hit burnout in AW and AH. It always helps to step back, take a breather, then start anew.
I am now a dedicated AH nut and when I get burnt of flying the p47-d30, then I count ten, and up ina d25 or d11  

..Death to the Luftwabble hords..  

Nomde
http://www.jump.net/~cs3" TARGET=_blank>63rd FS, 56th FG
"Zemke's Wolfpack"

"God loves the 56th cause we keep Heaven filled"

Nomde
56th Fighter Group "Zemke's Wolfpack"
nomde@56fg.net