Author Topic: Why all the complaining about HO?  (Read 6614 times)

Offline debuman

• Copper Member
Why all the complaining about HO?
« on: April 06, 2004, 10:16:11 AM »
I've only been here abouta month and I am puzzled about a couple of things.  One - why does everybody gripe and complain so much about HOing?  I'm sure that the real WWII pilots took shots whenever they could get them, including head-on shots.  If you don't like the HO attack, grab the little stick betweeen your legs (no, the one you fly the palne with!:)) and get out of the way!  IF you hang in there going HO with a guy, and get shot down, maybe you should ask yourself why you stayed there in the first place?
Second - why do people constantly rag on those who fly spits and LA7's as "dweebs"?  During WWII, most pilots had no choice as to what aircraft to fly, and there were certainly a lot of Spitfires and LA7's used in combat.  IS it because those planes are superior to the one your flying and shoot you down?  If this is the case, nothing prevents you from flying the same plane!  Either that, or perfect your flying techniques.  Nobaody forces you to fight in a P-40, etc.
I've enjoyed the heck out of this game so far, but am turned off by the constant immature whining of those who take it upon themselves to try and belittle others who choose to fly different aircraft or don't use your "prefered" technique of air combat.  
If you loose a contest with someone, die like a man, analyze what you could've done better, perhaps choose a different plane for your next trip, AND STOP ALL THE CRYBABY WHINING!

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 04:05:15 PM »
Surprisingly, we've never heard this before.

Welcome to AH, the tards make it fun.

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 04:22:11 PM »
You spoil your argument by crybaby whining.:D

Personally I willtake any HO I can get and fly whatever plane I please. Oh and don't forget to .squelch 1.

Offline HUN

• Copper Member
Re: Why all the complaining about HO?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 04:38:38 PM »
Originally posted by debuman
If this is the case, nothing prevents you from flying the same plane!  Either that, or perfect your flying techniques.  Nobaody forces you to fight in a P-40, etc.

The point is that if all the aces flew La7s and Spit variants all the time-the N00bs would never get off the ground.  :D :rofl

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 05:59:06 PM »
I never complain about HO's on Ch1  - they are easy enough to avoid  (every now and then 1 will still get you with a couple of pings)   but...

flying around at full speed in an LA-7 taking HO pot-shots at everyone you can  (jousting)  is pretty much as close to the definition of a "skill-less dweeb" as you can get.

Once you have been around awhile you will find it's a lot more fun to learn some ACM .

If you go for the HO in a merge you are basically going to get beaten every time by anyone with a little ability.
I come from a land downunder

Offline debuman

• Copper Member
Recently discovered WWII letter:
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 08:26:36 PM »
Dear Mr. Churchhill,
It has come to my attention that several of your RAF pilots are engaging in the practice of "head-on" shots during air to air combat over Europe.  We wish to protest in the strongest terms this barbaric and cruel practice.  As you know, asking our pilots to both fly the plane AND aim and shoot at the same time is beyond their capabilities.  We would appreciate it if you would instruct your airmen to wait until our Luftwaffe pilots are behind them before beginning to maneuver.
In addition, I was recently informed by one of my squadron commanders that the RAF is flying Spitfires. SPITFIRES!!!! Mein gott in himmel!!  What are you trying to do to us?  Do you realize how wrong it is for you to put up an aircraft with a superior turning radius over our own cherished BF-109 and FW-190?!  This practice must be terminated immediately!  If not, we will consider asking our (for the moment) Russian friends if they will sell us some LA-7 fighters.  How would you like that?

Respectfully yours,

Hermann Goering
Luftwaffe Commander

(Sounds a little silly when you think about it, doesn't it...)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 09:36:09 PM by debuman »

Offline debuman

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 08:28:35 PM »
FOGOLD:

Thank you very much!  I did the "squelch 1" thing today and it improved the AH flying experience a great deal.  Like I said - I'm still new here but anxious to learn.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 12:12:48 AM »
While there are instances were a head on shot in unavoidable, it's sheer folly to use that as your main plan of attack.  Only an idiot would engage in a tactic that has less than a 50-50 chance of being successful and even lower chances of coming out unscathed.

Learn some ACM and the game becomes far more enjoyable.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
      • http://forum.mercair.net
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 02:06:45 AM »
Originally posted by Redd
Once you have been around awhile you will find it's a lot more fun to learn some ACM .

This is the essence of it.

Granted, some people whine just for the whining of it. But many are trying to impress on the noobs that there are enjoyment to be found in this game other than strict real life tactics and always upping one of the "best" planes. If all the vets were to up lalas, spits and P51D's all the time the noobs would follow and we would have a pretty boring MA with little airplane variation.

I prefer to not up the abovementioned planes and try to succeed with planes that are regarded as less potent. This I do for my own pleasure, but at the same time I am contributing to make the MA more rich in various plane models. This is a good thing IMO. I've been over bases with only lalas and spits upped in defense, this bores me somewhat, whatever success I may have in the following fight... again this is only IMO. I want variation in the MA and will up planes that contribute to this (and whine to try and impress new players that there is MA life beyond the lala).

Same thing with the HO's. If the vets were to HO at every opportunity the noobs would do the same. Then we would have an arena with pretty boring fights. The whining about HO's tells noobs that they will never be held in high regard if they continue to HO. If you HO and win you often will receive a whine and a taunt, if you died in a fight but tried to employ good ACM you will often get a . Pavlov (and his dogs;) did some research and defined the mechanics in this method of teaching and learning.

So.... I think of the whining as not JUST a way of putting people down and venting frustration, I often see it as a way of shaping the MA culture. If we want an arena with good dogfights and interesting real-estate war, it is only we who can provide that.

I'm glad people whine...

(ofcourse... there is plenty of entertainment in saucy whines)

:-D

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 04:16:22 AM »
FOGOLD:

Thank you very much!  I did the "squelch 1" thing today and it improved the AH flying experience a great deal.  Like I said - I'm still new here but anxious to learn.

ahh yes, listen to old Fogold's advice - squelch 1 and let them complain into the void of cyberspace.
Then at some point, you'll actually WANT to unsquelch 1, sit back and watch the whines roll up the text box. this is fun :D

The reason people don't like spits and lalas is because there are so many of them. If you are bothered with this, fly something different. else, fly what you want. It's your money.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 05:10:59 AM »
Absolutely. Any noob will soon get  bored of HO. I have had my share of HO kills though and like vulching regard it as fair in love and war. However, it really doesn't happen that often. Also (Bozon?) what is a HO anyway?  It's not often you get a DIRECT head to head, but while outmanouvering an opponent you often find yourself Almost head to head and can take a shot.

As for too much of the same plane. I guess it's true. That is why the CT is great because you are limited to a certain set of planes which match historically.  This is a lot more fun. Just a pity so few go to the CT.

Bottom line it's your money and you can do what the hell you like in the MA and to hell with everybody (Ecxept your teammates of course):aok

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 05:57:56 AM »
Originally posted by FOGOLD
Bottom line it's your money and you can do what the hell you like in the MA and to hell with everybody (Ecxept your teammates of course):aok

to hell with them too!!

:D

and oh, just so i at least contribute something...

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/170_1081335365_hordemonkeys.zip

this is how to fly an la7, sorta... it's actually more a lesson of SA, and it's eventual failure.  :eek:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 06:22:05 AM »
I think you guys are confusing the head on shot with the head on ram. They are two different animals. The head on shot, pulled off correctly, is a thing of beauty. The head on collision however is a dweeby maneuver and desperate act to get a kill.

I think most of the whining done on channel 1 involves the cheap and desperate collision maneuver.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 06:54:51 AM »
It only takes a monkey to manuver for a HO every engagement, its the good pilots that use ACM or stick skills to get behind you. Thankfully, you know which is which even before the merge is complete.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
Re: Why all the complaining about HO?
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 07:07:20 AM »
I've only been here abouta month and I am puzzled about a couple of things.  One - why does everybody gripe and complain so much about HOing?  I'm sure that the real WWII pilots took shots whenever they could get them, including head-on shots.  If you don't like the HO attack, grab the little stick betweeen your legs (no, the one you fly the palne with!:)) and get out of the way!  IF you hang in there going HO with a guy, and get shot down, maybe you should ask yourself why you stayed there in the first place?
Second - why do people constantly rag on those who fly spits and LA7's as "dweebs"?  During WWII, most pilots had no choice as to what aircraft to fly, and there were certainly a lot of Spitfires and LA7's used in combat.  IS it because those planes are superior to the one your flying and shoot you down?  If this is the case, nothing prevents you from flying the same plane!  Either that, or perfect your flying techniques.  Nobaody forces you to fight in a P-40, etc.
I've enjoyed the heck out of this game so far, but am turned off by the constant immature whining of those who take it upon themselves to try and belittle others who choose to fly different aircraft or don't use your "prefered" technique of air combat.  
If you loose a contest with someone, die like a man, analyze what you could've done better, perhaps choose a different plane for your next trip, AND STOP ALL THE CRYBABY WHINING!

Enjoy stage 1  (unconcious incompetence) while it lasts

http://www.trainer.org.uk/members/theory/process/stages_of_learning.htm
I come from a land downunder