Author Topic: Whats up with gunnery ballistics?  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Whats up with gunnery ballistics?
« on: October 03, 2000, 09:28:00 AM »
Damn.. had a miserable time with the .50's again last night. Tracking shots seem fine; but as soon as a I went into defelection mode it was pityful.. oh; so pityful...

Currently, Im gunning .0362... last tour was a new low point, .0810; prior to that I was doing a steady .1100 for 8 tours.

Somethings up... soon as I pull even a 1/2 'g' the rounds seem to just fall outta the barrels.. no hits. I dunno.. just can't seem to find that 'sweet spot' anymore.

*sniff* Is it me?? my vid card drivers? my slowpoke machine? WHAT?? We're told that the 'gunnery model has not been changed'.. explanations of 'were all going faster; you need more lead' just don't wash.. at 110 knots, in a stall; turn with a guy; pulling lead and then missing the shot at point blank range is not only improbable.. it's damn near impossible. Yet I do. Time after time..  only thing is.. I've got about 2 to 3 g's on the plane.. and dammit' it's like the rounds are travelling thru mud. This same scenario used to yeild kills.. now it yeilds nothin. I can't even see the damn tracers.. above 1.5 'g's they vanish under the nose. 1.5 g's!! That just don't seem right!

Velocity? Ballistics? G loading effects?? Trajectory??  WHAT ISSIT!!

Arrgh.. Hitech.. lets go do some more 1v1.. there's gotta be somethin I'm doing wrong...

Hang

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2000, 09:39:00 AM »
Disappearing icons = re-adjusting aim due to having a 'cheat' so to speak = re-assess high angle of attack, snap shots.  

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2000, 09:40:00 AM »
I feel your pain Hangtime.. my deflection shooting has totally dried up.  I've changed how I've had to fly as a result to go for more tracking shots.

You should try and fly a LW bird like I did last night, it's even worse.  I had a slightly maneuvering Spit infront of me at D450 and had to adjust my aim to a point to barely over the cowling to get hits.

Soda

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2000, 09:44:00 AM »

Originally posted by Soda:
I feel your pain Hangtime.. my deflection shooting has totally dried up.  I've changed how I've had to fly as a result to go for more tracking shots.

You should try and fly a LW bird like I did last night, it's even worse.  I had a slightly maneuvering Spit infront of me at D450 and had to adjust my aim to a point to barely over the cowling to get hits.

Soda

Try deflection shooting in an F4U with its 16 foot nose sticking out there to spoil all your deflection shots.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2000, 09:56:00 AM »
I liked how it was BEFORE.. you could dogfight.. and get kills. This ain't an 'icon' issue.. something else is afoot.

Now; it's a running game. To get a shot, you need a tracking solution.. in other words.. if he's turning; he's immune to anthing but lucky cannon fire. If he's running; you can get him if yer fast enuff. Is this how we wanna fly and fight? Do I go for B&Z only in the pony to get kills? Sucks; if thats the solution.

Sure as hell, I can't hit nothin when the other guy starts turnin; twitchin; yankin and bankin. Are there any rounds in flight BESIDES the tracers?

I'm convinced there's something wrong. Convince me that there ISN'T!  

Think about it. Something dramatic has changed with the gunnery.. I've waited a full tour to speak up; thinking I just had to re-learn the new FM.. but I'm comming to the conclusion it's not a FM issue. And it sucks. Don't kid yerself.. this has NOTHIN to do with icons.

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2000, 10:04:00 AM »
Push over there Hang I wanna join you in the boat. Pass me a bailing bucket too please.
 Because I cant hit the broad side of a barn either.

Lately from my FE it looks like people are not flying to avoid being caught in a firing solution, but fly to let you into a firing solution and   then  just at the point of firing they are dodging  bullets like a kid playing dodge ball in grade 7.
 Does anyone else see this ? It seems like common place to me now .
 Is it internet connection issues? The difference between drone shooting and arena shooting is night and day on my end.

Even tracking shots are different. My shots seem to go right through targets now.
Did system requirements change?
Is bullet velocity slow enough so that when I see the enemys guns twinkle behind me I can  avoid the being  hit?
I am probably out to lunch but things sure seem different on my front end in the gunnery dept.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2000, 10:12:00 AM »
Hang, nothing in readme since V1.03 changed anything in the gunnery as far as I know, and I'm sure HTC would have told us, their customers business is at stake, why risk that business by changing something, then not notifying the customer?

Pyro has posted in one of these  threads that "Nothing has changed" in regards to the ammunition, gunnery.

funked

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2000, 10:18:00 AM »
Bandits are pulling more Gees, so you need more lead.  It's that simple.

Tip:  Longer convergence settings throw the bullets up higher.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 10-03-2000).]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2000, 10:25:00 AM »
 I hate to miss out on a chance to whine about gunnery. But this just isnt happening to me. I never got in the habit of useing icons so when they disappear i hardly notice. Ive always timed deflection shots and they work the same as always. On the other hand ive always been a cannon dweeb, and never depended on the flat trajectory of the MG,s

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2000, 10:30:00 AM »
I can accept  miscalculation on my lead.
 But I cannot for the life of me  explain the bullet dodge. Its like  shooting against  a arena of Mannix's (Old Private Dick TV show with  lead character who had the seemingly unbelievable ability to dodge the badguys bullets)  

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2000, 10:36:00 AM »

I'm convinced there's something wrong. Convince me that there ISN'T!  (Image removed from quote.)

Convince me the sky is Blue!   Kinda makes it a circular arguement doesn't it?? Of course I'm kidding with you.  

However I have to agree with the others, I'm seeing the same gunnery as before, except that you need to lead them more.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline wizzer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2000, 10:48:00 AM »
Well Hang, you have started another conspiracy. I too have noticed the gunnery is getting tougher for the B&Z crowd.

HT did say yesterday, while in the arena that he was turning off the wind, because it was porking the gunnery.                  

Odd, hmmmm..........makes me wonder.  

wizzer

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2000, 10:58:00 AM »
I think like Funked, planes turns harder due to new E, then need more lead.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2000, 11:03:00 AM »
Yep Hang, I'm having the same problem though only since 1.04/2  I guess it is to do with more lead but I'm even starting to struggle at 100 ft away!  

'Nexx'
NEXX

funked

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2000, 11:18:00 AM »
PS Hangtime are you strafing a lot?  If you strafe at all it will artificially lower your shooting %.