Author Topic: Gaming the Game....  (Read 10530 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2004, 05:41:27 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
Could you point me towards that policy?  I don't recall ever seeing it or hearing about it before.  

The contest was a "special case"... in general there is no policy that I am aware of for that sort of thing.

The "No Collusion" policy is part of the General Rules and Conduct as is the "No Harrassment" policy. It was clearly enunciated under the Shootout Contest rules for legal reasons but is not exclusive to the period during that particular contest. From what I gather instances of collusion are dealt with on a case by case basis and are reviewed by someone from HTC staff by checking logs etc. I remember reading it somewhere other than the contest rules but cannot remember where. It may have been a response from Hitech Creations when we reported someone obviously cheating (a Bish with a Rook account was vectoring himself to Rook Cv's and sinking them then bragging about it on channel 1).
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2004, 05:41:32 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Furious...

I believe it will fall under this one...

"11.  Subscribers are expressly prohibited from engaging in any activity that constitutes, in the sole opinion of HiTech Creations, system abuse.  System abuse shall include, but is not limited to, ..."

Nice open ended statement, covering a multitude of sins :).

I've not heard HT say vultching your second account is "system abuse".  But then again, he probably wouldn't tell me if he did.

...anyway, who cares?  I know I don't anymore.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2004, 05:44:12 PM »
Originally posted by kj714
Lotsa legitimate points here!

I understand where you are coming from Zazen, putting some value in the top 100 and trying to legitimately get in there or get as high up as you can. I think it is a measure of skill, upping, getting kills and landing them is sort of the whole loop of things.

However, "anything goes" is sort of the accepted deal now and there is a certain amount of validity to that as well. If that will that devalue the game, only time will tell. For the average player, I think probably not.

Zazen, I think you can find some comfort in that the vast majority of the player base doesn't alter their score artificially by vulching ghosts. Now I know that sucks if you are ranked #101, but still the overall rankings aren't going to be skewed by very much at all, I don't believe, because not many people do this activity.

What if 300 people start doing what JB77 does every single camp? And why wouldn't they if he is allowed to get away with it? The danger is the setting of a precident of acceptance that will be far harder to undo later than if we nip it in the bud now with only one or a few perpetrators.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2004, 05:47:46 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Furious...

I believe it will fall under this one...

"11.  Subscribers are expressly prohibited from engaging in any activity that constitutes, in the sole opinion of HiTech Creations, system abuse.  System abuse shall include, but is not limited to, ..."

Nice open ended statement, covering a multitude of sins :).

Yup, that's the one. Collusion, Harassment, Vulgarity (masked or otherwise), among other things, fall under the auspices of this rather ambiguous catch all policy against "System Abuse".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 06:02:58 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2004, 06:05:56 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
You use the words cheat and illegal.  

Where is the rule stating vultching a second account is cheating?  What statute is being broken?

Curious how vehemently some are defending JB77's "Right" to do this. If one didn't know better one might  think it sounds like SELF-defense...Hmmmmmmm....Food for thought ;)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2004, 06:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Curious how vehemently some are defending JB77's "Right" to do this. If one didn't know better one might  think it sounds like SELF-defense...Hmmmmmmm....Food for thought ;)

Furious did say ... "I know I don't anymore." ...  :rofl

Your killin' me as usual Furious !!!
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2004, 06:24:44 PM »
you said "morally bankrupt".

jeffrey dahmer was morally bankrupt.  being an bellybutton in a video game does not compare.

Actually, Dahmer was techically sociopathic, that would by definition make him amoral.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2004, 06:49:28 PM »
hehe, yes.  I am defending his right to be a tard.  

In fact I shoot my squadmates down alot.  Well, try to anyway.  Some stupid bug keeps making me blow up whenever I get some nice solid hits in.

...oh, and lets not forget this:

Originally posted by Zazen13
It comes from the old AW days when you could have multiple screen names etc. I am an "Art of War" kind of person. I believe in knowing my enemy. What better way to know him than get in his skin and fly around for a while, fly with him, film him, even loose deuce with him without him even realizing who you are? Heck,  one of my Bishop and two of my Knight accounts are even in squadrons, premier squadrons, and they have no clue ;) You glean some very very intriguing information about the other countries, squadrons and their pilots respective flying styles.

I also use different accounts for different things, for example, if I want to work on a plane I am unfamiliar with I will use one of my shades accounts until I become proficient. Similarily, I use shades accounts to warm-up for the day so when I get on Zazen, my aim, SA, sense of deflection etc. are already keyed up for action. Bear in mind I only have one computer, I do not use these accounts for any clandestine purpose, mainly just for practice.

Zazen

P.S. it's not shade..it's shades, as in dark sunglasses, so no one knows who you are ;)

I would think you would want to be the one defending him.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2004, 07:22:36 PM »
hehe, yes.  I am defending his right to be a tard.  

In fact I shoot my squadmates down alot.  Well, try to anyway.  Some stupid bug keeps making me blow up whenever I get some nice solid hits in.

...oh, and lets not forget this:

I would think you would want to be the one defending him.

The distinction is, while I have more than 1 account, I cannot and donot use more than 1 simultaneously (I have only 1 computer). Furthermore, the problem isn't that he purchased multiple accounts as I have for family members or for filming premier pilots in action for my film library. The problem is, he uses one to vulch the other over and over and over and over and over, for the sole purpose of quickly accumulating an inordinately high number of perk points and an artificailly inflated rank...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 07:43:38 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2004, 07:26:52 PM »
Just to play devils advocate here,wouldnt useing a second account to buff up before using the primary account "Also" be concidered doing something to better your score position?
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline debuman

• Copper Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2004, 07:27:34 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Yup ... $14.95 / CPID

If ya dont give a crap about your score/ranking, then let him try yours once and awhile.

That's the problem - he has and he loves it!  Now I have to compete with him to get on the computer - it's kinda like that commercial where the couple are stripping as they drive home and race to see who gets the shower....

He's trying to get me to pay for a 2nd account with sly little hints like " Dad, I could be your wingman...", etc.  Unfortunately, my income at this point barely affords one account/mo.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2004, 07:30:48 PM »
Originally posted by DrDea
Just to play devils advocate here,wouldnt useing a second account to buff up before using the primary account "Also" be concidered doing something to better your score position?

How is warming up with one account to play better on another any different than first flying a mission in the CT before heading to the MA? I am gaining no unfair advantage, I am not artifically manipulating my score, all I am doing is practicing with an account I do not intend to play for rank with in order to not have that first mission of the day crappy-hop with the one I do care about.... hehe

Zazen

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »
speaking of advocate: "volenti non fit injuria", basic jurisprudence.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2004, 09:09:45 PM »
This is still an interesting conversation.  You guys missed what I feel is the best part of all of it.. allow me to recap the conversation which took place on Ch2.

System:  Jb77 Landed 13 kill in a BF110-C of.....

after several WTG's.....

Steve:  Wow JB77, where are you flying?  I see you've got your second account going for vulch-o-rama.

JB77:  Yeah, right.

Steve: Cmon Jb77, you're second account is Jbo8, we all know it.  90% of your kills come from vulchin Jbo8, everyone knows.

JB77:   How is it you know that?

(Steve gets busy and doesn't answer for a couple of minutes, by then JB77 has logged)

:rofl
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 09:14:39 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline dvss97

• Zinc Member
Gaming the Game....
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2004, 09:54:03 PM »
Jb's are not only squad doing this. SICKPUPPIES, 418 hornets among others.

Names sure: DOOM 418 hornets  his 2nd account is Rapidx this tod. 41 kills of b17s of rapidx as a rook lots of us saw him do it. He would not even go for il2's low  just b17s of rapidx
 then run away.

Thebest sickpuppies 25 kills landed in p40 all were against his own squadmate nirvana last tod. This one I have film of nirvana begging me not to kill p40 exact words he's all mine. He few bomber formation to p40 let him kill then logged.

I'm sure there are many more, You fly to base with 1 guy capping next thing guy stops spawning bombers on runway. /then person lands 15 kills in spit 1. but can't prove because no flim to catch other mans id.