Author Topic: Some reactions from the arab world about Nick Berg's gruesome assassination  (Read 7096 times)

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
I finally watched the video yesterday. I also noticed the apparent lack of blood, although it's hard to tell with the low image quality.

I also noticed that Berg doesn't seem to move at all while sitting on the ground before the beheading begins. Could this be a doll / a corpse.

I still think that the conspiration theory is far less plausible than the execution by terrorists.

I would like to read the opinion of video experts on this tho.

From aljazeera again

I'll look for some similar raised questions on US/european news websites

edited for typos
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 04:06:44 AM by deSelys »
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Originally posted by deSelys
I finally watched the video yesterday. I also noticed the apparent lack of blood, although it's hard to tell with the low image quality.

I also noticed that Berg doesn't seem to move at all while sitting on the ground before the beheading begins. Could this be a doll / a corpse.

Berg's corpse was found on a street in Baghdad.  It doesn't matter what the video shows, they murdered him.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
Berg's corpse was found on a street in Baghdad.  It doesn't matter what the video shows, they murdered him.

CC that, but who is 'they' is still an important matter.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Obviously the 'how' is also an important matter. What we dismiss for naught, may be what holds the key to it all.

After all, the "result matters over all else" is the very essence of how modern day Media works. The context is always left out. They thrive on the emotional flarings of the masses influenced by the "image", rather than take careful steps to explain what, where, when, who, why, and how.

I don' t think even the US would go that far as to attempt such a conspiracy. But it seems there's just a lot to more than meets the eye in this one.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 05:52:21 AM by Kweassa »

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Re: copy pasted from elsewhere
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2004, 05:50:07 AM »
Originally posted by moot
START
FWIW, I dunno about this, but I found it on what looks like a rw-libertarian site, not a lefty hang out. I've watched the longer video (see below), and sure enough the clock jumps, and the page turning thing is weird. I dunno, I am just sick of it all. I guess somewhere all this **** must have been anticipated. I guess PNACs vision of Pax Americana must have been considered worth all this mess. The view from behind their eyes must be something to see. Anyways, here's the **** I found.

Kind of like that conspiracy report that claimed a cruise missile hit the Pentagon. Seems some just have to believe it to be anything but what it appears and will try to fit in explainations of 'facts' and 'evidence' to support their theory.

1) extremely convenient "wag the dog" timing at the height of furor regarding U.S. torture of Iraqis

Gee, could it possibly be that a small group of fanatical Iraqis could be so pissed to want revenge in the only way they know how? Look at what happened in Chechnya in how some Russian soldiers were executed. Danial Pearle also.

2) CNN poll question: "Is the Berg killing a reason for withholding any remaining Iraq prisoner abuse pictures?" Bush has been reported to be struggling with question of whether Pentagon should release additional torture photos. Given that the alleged decapitation of Berg was allegedly prompted by the first wave of torture photos, Bush could now cite "national
security" issues for witholding additional materials.

Seeing how Berg was killed because of those reports of prisoner abuse, it is understandable how Bush would want to keep even worse photos out of the public's eye. Remember, the govt. doesn't even want our viewing of coffins and body bags. Bad for the public to see to contiinue popular support for any war. Sometimes a picture can be far more damaging than the alleged acts portrayed that the public ceases to support the war.

3) Berg's last known whereabouts was in U.S. custody.

That was some time ago. He was last seen on his own in a hotel before he was abducted.

4) Berg shown in video wearing orange jumpsuit known to be of U.S. issue
(compare with pictures at Guantanamo).

I did, so should you. They are not even remotely similar. The silk-looking pajama outfit Berg was wearing was not a jumpsuit.

5) Berg mysteriously captured by Al-Quaeda (still wearing jumpsuit). Either he escaped from U.S. captors or U.S. let him out -- with orange suit and all -- to be immediately apprehended by Al-Quaeda (before he had a chance to change).

See above.

6) Tape obviously spliced together and heavily edited. Goes from a) Berg sitting in chair talking about family, to b) Berg sitting on floor with hooded "militants" behind, to c) blurry camera movement, to d) almost motionless Berg on floor as head cut off.

He was "motionless" while his head was being cut off because of:
A) Shock, B) He had his hands bound behind him, C) One of his killers was kneeling on him and holding him down.

7) Audio clearly dubbed in.

Didn't sound like it, more poor quality recording based on poor equipment. Only a camera mounted mic most likely.

8) "Arab" reader flips through pages of "statement" and keeps ending up on the same page. Perhaps doesn't even known enough Arabic to recognize what page he's on?

Look again. Looks like he was ending up on different pages. It was hard to tell, but he was not ending up reading from the same side through his whole speech.

9) "Arabs" have lily-white hands and (other exposed) skin.

LOL, most Iraqis have rather light to medium colored skin. No surprise there.

10) "Arabs" have Western-style body posture and mannerisms.

LOL, what is the difference. Perhaps you can show what an Iraqi fanatical body posture and mannerisms are supposed to look like.

11) When Berg decapitated, there was almost no blood. If Berg were still alive at this point, with the cut starting at front of throat, blood would have been spraying everywhere. Berg's severed head, the floor, Berg's clothes, and even the hand of the "Arab" who decapitated Berg had no visible blood on it.

The tape doesn't show how the cutting began. If an initial cut is made deep and large enough, there usually wouldn't be the spurting and spraying of blood one would think. Oh, there was a pool of blood on the floor where Berg was after the beheading.

12) Berg's body didn't move while on the ground. Although held down, Berg would have tried to instinctively wiggle and writhe away from captor's grip.

See above answer to #6

13) Camera angle made it impossible to see if Berg's eyes were even open.

That's important how?

14) Alleged "scream" from Berg sounded to be that of a woman and was clearly dubbed in.

That scream sounded to be from Berg. No, it was not "clearly dubbed in."

15) Berg goes to great trouble to identify himself, providing information about his family. Why? To elicit greater sympathy? Or to provide a positive ID. FBI visited Berg family in an attempt to "verify his identity". Guy in video looks very little like Berg photos provided by family.

I vaguely remember Daniel Pearle also giving personal info sometime before he was executed also.

Seems these killers want to use terror to try and win their war. By putting a face, name, and personality on their victims, they want it to hit home.

I believe that Berg believed he was not going to be killed. Up to that point he was probably treated decently (which explains his being somewhat seemingly relaxed in his interview). He was probably lied to about his having to be tied up in front of the camera to make sure he didn't escape. They probably used the assault rifle as a sign to him to keep still and quiet in front of the camera for the 'speech'. Notice that the large knife was hidden from view from everyone, esp Berg.
Up until that speech, he was probably lied to about his immediate future.

Sorry about my being a bit morbid and matter of fact about my answers, but these conspiracy people sometimes drive me nuts.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Originally posted by Kweassa
After all, the "result matters over all else" is the very essence of how modern day Media works. The context is always left out.

Please provide us with the context which justifies the subject of the video.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
yeah, think that was rummy on the left, cheney on the right and bush holding the sword ... and if they continue to show those pictures, heads will roll!!!

you guys are paraniod with a hatred of this admin to the point of being a sicko

let the dead guy rest in peace and accept the fact he was killed by fat arabs with sheets over their rag heads
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

storch

I still think that the conspiration theory is far less plausible than the execution by terrorists.

I would like to read the opinion of video experts on this tho.

From aljazeera again

I'll look for some similar raised questions on US/european news websites

edited for typos

You really can't be serious.:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
The video is weird. Certainly shocking at first, but some details definitely are hard to explain.

I said that the conspiration theory isn't very probable...If it was really a fake tape (simulation on a puppet or a corpse) made by the US government to draw the public attention from the tortures and to increase the motivation to continue the war, I can't imagine that the CIA or the like guys filming it making such huge mistakes like the big gaps in the time stamps...

Another possibility is the staging of the execution to cover up an 'accidental' death, i.e. Nick Berg dies in an Iraqi prison or police station and the Iraqis try to put the blame on someone else. Then the 'mistakes' in the tape would be easier to understand.

Of course, the higher probability is a 'slightly' staged execution by the terrorists to make the movie more horrific to watch, or to compensate for a technical video problem during the execution. And then it doesn't matter one bit...

Questions are still raised fro me though.

storch

The video is weird. Certainly shocking at first, but some details definitely are hard to explain.

I said that the conspiration theory isn't very probable...If it was really a fake tape (simulation on a puppet or a corpse) made by the US government to draw the public attention from the tortures and to increase the motivation to continue the war, I can't imagine that the CIA or the like guys filming it making such huge mistakes like the big gaps in the time stamps...

Another possibility is the staging of the execution to cover up an 'accidental' death, i.e. Nick Berg dies in an Iraqi prison or police station and the Iraqis try to put the blame on someone else. Then the 'mistakes' in the tape would be easier to understand.

Of course, the higher probability is a 'slightly' staged execution by the terrorists to make the movie more horrific to watch, or to compensate for a technical video problem during the execution. And then it doesn't matter one bit...

Questions are still raised fro me though.

Investigate thoroughly and report

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
There is much more to this story.. Dunno what, but much more..

The unemployed visitor was suspicious enough for Iraqi police to arrest him – with FBI knowledge.

Iraqi police?? Arresting americans? Am I the only one finding this odd? I understand Americans might 'stick' out in iraqi, but look suspicious? Suspicious of what? O yea I forgot.. The arabs must be carful w/ all the americans running around w/ high explosives straped to their bodies..

The Jordanian accused of the beheading Berg is himself believed to have been killed in March, according to two Islamist groups.

Strange...

An eight-page leaflet circulated this week in Falluja said Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was killed in the Sulaimaniya mountains of northern Iraq during a US bombing.
But even if it were the Jordanian, one discussion room member observes his face is so well-known that "why would he bother to cover it?"

Yes, all the info is not in yet on this story..  

dude

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Please provide us with the context which justifies the subject of the video.

No one's death is a martyr's death. By "context", I am suggesting to look further than define this incident as a death of a one man, but rather what has become of the Middle East during the long years of Western intervention(not necessarily only the US) for the last 200 years.

The vicious cycle of brutal violence and hatred binds everyone who's interest has lead their paths to the desertlands which none may claim a moral victory.

I don't wish to turn this into a "who did it first?" match-up, but as sick as this crime is, the rest of the world finds the excuses US keeps making up as it goes, the whole WMD fiasco and bullshi* bullshi* bullshi*, and the bombings, killings, brutalities, and tortures equally sickening.

What they did to Berg was sick. But for instance, I feel what the US is doing in Iraq equally sick. I'm not even an Iraqui. So, after what has transpired through these brutal months, is it any wonder some people may actually feel solace in the "vengeance" mindset? I'd bet the Iraquis who lost their families due to US bombings won't feel so sick.

So ask yourselves mates, it's your war. Do you want to keep doing this shi*? Because like others said, sickening things come and go and the rest of the world's pretty tired of seeing "US somebody horribly murdered" and "US somebody horribly tortures" stuff in our newspapers. This horrible stuff will go on and on and on as long as your troops are there.

And a fat lot of good "oh my god, they killed XXX" sentiments and raged fists are gonna do anything to stop that.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
There's no moving goalpost.

There's very little in the way of "broadcast news" from either the "leading authorities" of Islam or the "Islamic governments" condemning this act.

Yes, the Islamic states most closely allied with the US have spoken. Yes, one or two Islamic sources have spoken.

There has not, however, been the widely publicized condemnation of this act by the general leadership of Islam/Islamic states that it's going to take to end this sort of barbarism.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Erlkonig

• Nickel Member
The goalposts didn't move - they got sucked into a black hole and entered an alternate universe.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
hey sab', I might have posted it, but didn't write it.
I wanted to see a proper picking at it, which you did, thanks.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you