Author Topic: America catches up to the modern world (slowly)  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
America catches up to the modern world (slowly)
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2004, 03:40:28 AM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
it's not about being tolerant of those involved in immoral behavior, most of us have been doing that for awhile.  it's now going the next step and saying we (as a society) have to give our 'OK' and sign off on the immoral behavior itself.

Same arguement could be made about inter-racial marriages.

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2004, 04:00:06 AM »
Captain, your post very comprehensively sums up the problem: you may find it immoral, then don't do it yourself.
You won't limit yourself to that though, you are actively trying to restrain the homosexuals from getting an equal treatment (no pun intended)and that is the essence of the problem.
You claim that in practice you are all very tolerant but still you try to create barriers between them and you in terms of rights and recognition, only to express that you believe their ways are immoral. If people like you for once minded their own business and stopped invading and trying to shape other people's lives according to their own outdated puritan beliefs, the whole issue would be non-existent...

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2004, 05:06:49 AM »
TOB... will you marry me?
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2004, 05:21:31 AM »
I will tell it to Ecke unfaithfull bastard :D

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2004, 05:46:22 AM »
You had me at hello, you cute wittle fwenchie you.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2004, 06:02:10 AM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
exactly, as it is in most states (without gay marriage) you can do that now.  gays have been having 'weddings' for quite a while, all they have to do is find a church that will do it, or really anybody, it's just a ceremony.  then they get a contract for a domestic partnership.

what a law recognizing gay marriages does is removes the option to not except it as a true marriage from everyone else.

once these marriages are authorized by the state then you can be sued if you refuse to recognize this marriage.

it's not about being tolerant of those involved in immoral behavior, most of us have been doing that for awhile.  it's now going the next step and saying we (as a society) have to give our 'OK' and sign off on the immoral behavior itself.

I don't suppose it ever occured to you that not everyone shares your opinion of what's immoral and what's not?  It's about the right for them to choose their partner, make a committment, and have it recognized under law just like any other civil marriage.  And if you run a business, then yeah, you'd be up watermelon creek if you chose to pick and choose which marriages to recognize.  This has nothing to do with your morality, your church, or your god.  Not everything that you or I disapprove of is illegal, that's just one of the nicer realities of living in the United States.

I think this whole argument is moot though.  Once it hits the supreme court, I'm sure it'll be settled one way or the other...and I believe that denying the civil marriage to a gay couple will be deemed unconstitutional.  At that point it won't matter what laws the moral crusaders have passed.  But, we'll just have to wait and see for that one.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

storch

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2004, 06:38:19 AM »
Originally posted by SOB
You had me at hello, you cute wittle fwenchie you.

:rofl :rofl :aok :rofl :rofl

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2004, 06:58:50 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
I say remove all preference for being "married" from our society. No tax breaks, no entitlement breaks of any kind, no "free" ;) health care for spouse and child.Then let anyone who wants to get married be married. I sure don't give a fig.But I bet fewer folks see the need to get married in that event.

I think if you are married w/o children you get screwed on taxes, don't quote me on that though. The benefit would be one spouse being entitled to health and death benefits of the other. I believe gays have this in a civil union, so I do not see why they need marriage, but live and let live I guess. But I find it funny that those who do not want government in their lives sure want it when it fits their needs.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
wtg HOMOS !!
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2004, 07:05:23 AM »

does this mean Thud will live to see the day he can live with his sheep, legally?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2004, 07:08:15 AM »
Originally posted by SOB
you'd be up watermelon creek if you ....

let's not bring yours/their sexual preference into this please ... :rofl
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2004, 08:14:34 AM »
Thud, you could also bring up the fact that Greek and Roman societies collapsed once homosexuality was accepted.

But I bet you'd call it coincidence.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2004, 08:26:55 AM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Thud, you could also bring up the fact that Greek and Roman societies collapsed once homosexuality was accepted.

But I bet you'd call it coincidence.

?????

at the fall of the roman empire homosexuality was a crime ...

And I guess according to your post the barbare had no influence ?

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2004, 08:35:56 AM »
Being gay is no more immoral than being left handed.

What the heck are you guys worried about... really?

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2004, 09:27:16 AM »
One of my friends is having bad homophobia; He told he would kick his son out from home if he would find out kid is gay. Sad thing is I did believe every word he said.

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2004, 09:39:41 AM »
Your thread title is a bit misleading.  There are some four countries, and three provinces in Canada which recognize "gay marriage".

So rather than catching up, it's more like leading.