Author Topic: Intolerance  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Intolerance
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2000, 11:56:00 PM »

Originally posted by TheWobble:
And that is why things will never be perfect, because some people would rather abuse their rights than to be considerate to all and lend a hand.... rather sad I think.

Perfect???

If everyone were to conform to some way of action, there would never be any innovation.  We've seen how far conformity got communism.

------------------
-Ding
33rd Strike Group www.33rd.org

[This message has been edited by Dingy (edited 11-19-2000).]

Offline 54Ed

• Zinc Member
Intolerance
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2000, 12:17:00 AM »
Seems to me that one general principle being overlooked is that, as a basic matter of courtesy, private conversations should be conducted on private channels.  This is regardless of what language the conversation is in.  

Of course the use of the term "courtesy" with respect to Channel 1 is laughable.  There are too many jabbering idiots on channel 1 calling each other "dweebs" for various reasons, so I squelch it.  That's a shame, as the channel would be useful for game-related discussions such as "good fight" and "good kill".  But I notice such sportsmanship is not the norm in AH anyways.  Too bad.  

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
Intolerance
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2000, 12:20:00 AM »
No but you can say "Muere perro de mierda hijo de la gran puta!" which is Peruvian Spanish or you can give it a distinct Caribbean flavor by utilizing Animal's Puerto Rican "Vete al carajo, Maricon"  For me being fortunate enough to be completely bi-lingual (not bi just lingual, LOL), I enjoy seeing other languages in the buffer and trying to figure out what they're saying.  Keep it up, it adds to the game in my book.  For those that may be looking for a variation to WTF? as your stock expression when being killed try my Puerto Rican grandfather's favorite CARAJO!
Beeg

Originally posted by Snoopi:
You mean I can't say "Muerre Perro !" on channel 1 anymore ?  

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Intolerance
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2000, 01:27:00 AM »
Duz this here meen I kan speek muh native alerbammer tung? woooo doogy granny! fry up them gizzurds, we got sum selebratin 2 doo!

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Intolerance
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2000, 02:02:00 AM »
Hb don't forget our goose step lesson @ 10:00 am. We don't want to be late!!!!!

TheWobble

Intolerance
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2000, 03:11:00 AM »
Dingy,

I am not against derision in the sake of progress, however I think it would be best to take the cue from the entertainment industry. they put different languages on different channels NOT because they are predjuced, NOT because they want everyone to speak one language, NOT because they think any 1 language is superior to all, they do it for the sole purpose of simplicity and practicality, people keep tying to make this into a issue of race/language/nationality. it is anything but. it is simply an issue of efficency, and dont ever accuse Americans of being language/nationality/race.

FACT: there are more different cultures and different languages spoken in the USA than any other country in the world.

FACT: The United states has NO offical language (look it up no lie).

FACT: America was created by all differnet cultures, to deny our diversity is to deny what makes this country so wonderful.

FACT: the very fabric of this country is woven of hundreds of different cultures and that is the thing to be most proud of.

AKSeaWulfe

Intolerance
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2000, 03:31:00 AM »
The reason for multiple channels with different languages is simple: There are more americans that speak and understand english.
The internet knows no language, it is owned by no country. Aces High is owned by HTC, American based but has no regulations on use of foreign(to america) languages.

At 5AM Easten Time, you will find the majority speaks another language other than english. Who are we to tell them "Use a different channel for your language"? You won't reach a majority rules on forcing a group of 3-8 people conversing in their native tongue to move their conversation to another channel. Do they ask you to stop using english on channel 1?

If you want to move languages onto different channels, then lets go ahead and create a "whine&smack talk" channel... maybe that's what channel 1 should be called from now on. the "english whine & smack" language, afterall the majority of whining and starting sh*t comes from native english speakers..........

-SW

TheWobble

Intolerance
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2000, 05:02:00 AM »
Alright, I give up. I guess I was mistaken to think that people would actually work together to sort out the language issue but i can tell that what is most important to you all is the fact you can speak whatever you want however you want and to you that is what is important to you, You would rather abuse a freedom for the sake of it, regardless of weather it is for good or not.  Guess the whole idea of doing what makes things better is far less important that doing things because you can.  This is my final post on this thread, i will never get through to you folks and after reading alot of these post i dont really care to anyway.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Intolerance
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2000, 08:30:00 AM »
"Work togther"? Or were you trying herd the "non conformists" into thier own camps against thier will.

Wobble, after reading beocming involved in this topic and seeing your biggoted point of view I'm not sure we (you and I) have any need to communicate any further here in AH in the future.

-Westy

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
Intolerance
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2000, 09:58:00 AM »
"I squelch it"  right on ED , have been doing that for about a two weeks now and don't miss it one damn bit . I fact I have my Game Commander set to .squelch 1 when I tell it "shut up" hehe  

------------------
air_rules = Play fair ....Don't worry about points......Keep a sense of humor......Drink Jim Beam......and don't let the fediddlein cat walk on the keyboard.......!!!http://www.airsquadron.com" TARGET=_blank>

[This message has been edited by airspro (edited 11-19-2000).]
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Intolerance
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2000, 10:15:00 AM »

Originally posted by TheWobble:
Alright, I give up.

Fantastic!

I guess I was mistaken to think that people would actually work together to sort out the language issue but i can tell that what is most important to you all is the fact you can speak whatever you want however you want and to you that is what is important to you, You would rather abuse a freedom for the sake of it, regardless of weather it is for good or not.  

Are you really ths ignorant??  You claim that speaking in your native tongue is an abuse of a freedom, yet you are dictating that they separate themselves from the rest of the community and cloister themselves in a private channel because it "confuses" the majority (FACT: The majority of the community have said this doesnt bother them in the least).

While you are quoting facts Wobble, lemme add one more thing.  Are you using some other language other than English in these posts?  You used the word "weather" in the context of deciding between one choice or other.  "Weather" is what goes on outside...raining, snowing, hot or cold.  I think you wanted the word "whether".  I wonder how many of our European friends would have gotten that right.  Prolly alot.
If this is your new and improved English, however, take it to another channel  

------------------
-Ding
33rd Strike Group www.33rd.org

[This message has been edited by Dingy (edited 11-19-2000).]

-lazs-

Intolerance
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2000, 10:16:00 AM »
Well... I got no problem with any language being spoken on one but... If they are talking to me in anything other than english they are wasting their breath.   In real life I have thrown crews off of jobs because no one could speak english and they could not understand my orders or explain themselves.   How they speak amongst themselves is not my concern.  

If AH goes to another language predominantly or if I join a foriegn sim that  is mostly another language then I will either learn that language or I will live with the fact that I can't communicate.   I would probly use private for speaking to another english speaker but tough toejam if I don't.
lazs

TheWobble

Intolerance
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2000, 10:39:00 AM »
I deliver my point of view addressing that we could all get along with different languages, and simply suggest a few ways I would go about it. Yea sure you can go and speak whatever the hell language you want! go ahead its your right, thats all that matters you have the right to do whatever you want here, if someone thinks hey maby if we did this like this, things would be easyer and flow better, BUT WAIT!! you cant tell me what to do! So what if it has good intentions I dont care! like it or not ill do whatever i want for the sole purpose that I can.  

I make suggestions on what I would do i share my opinon with you and you dont like it so You call me an ignorant bigott? well i guess bashing someone just because they dont share your opinion is your way. and that make YOU the bigots you ignorant amazinhunks. this thread has gone to hell and i hope it takes you with it.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Intolerance
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2000, 11:28:00 AM »
TheWobble - I've read your posts and you seem to be making the following points:

1) Foreign language appearing on channel 1 is confusing.

2) We should have separate channels for different languages, following the example of TV.

Alright,

How can you possibly find foreign language confusing? I myself speak no Japanese and when I see it I ignore it. You seem to imply that the standard of English is so bad on channel 1 that people will spend time trying to decypher Japanese, mistaking it for badly written English. Yeah right.

Also, the colours of the various channels are not selected by accident. The eye is most responsive to the colour green (550 nm). To me I have to make an effort to read the grey of channel 1, where as channel 2 stands out a mile. The squadron channel (red) also is far more obvious to the eye than grey.

I personally don't buy the argument that foreign language detracts from the gameplay or 'clutters' up channel 1.

TheWobble, as far as I know you're new to Aces High and I welcome you to this great sim  . But I've never seen you or anyone else complain about normal, inoffensive chatter in English on channel 1. Yet the player that started all this was prepared to go out of his way (by actually asking) to remove Japanese from the channel. Maybe he was playing on the fact that a Japanese guy (who spoke only a little English) would not refuse and start an argument. It is prejudicial treatment, plain and simple.

To everyone who replied - it's good to see that most of us are appreciative of the non-English speakers and their right to use channel 1 as they wish. <S> to you all.  

[This message has been edited by Dowding (edited 11-19-2000).]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
Intolerance
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2000, 11:57:00 AM »
Wobble, I disagree with your ideas, but I haven't seen anything in your posts that would lead me to call you a bigot or prejudiced.  Presumptuous in thinking players have a right to control the in-game communications of other players?  Probably.  But prejudiced?  Nah.

The best advice I can give is to ignore people who would rather speculate about your character than address your ideas on their merits (or lack thereof).

Gordo

[This message has been edited by Lance (edited 11-19-2000).]